Daily Current Affairs 24th January 2023
ECI to host 2nd International Conference
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) will host the 2nd International Conference in New Delhi on 23rd January 2023. Conference is conducted based on the theme – Use of Technology and Elections Integrity.
- Around 43 Participants from 17 Countries including Angola, Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Indonesia, Mauritius, Nepal, Philippines and Suriname are joined in the 2nd International Conference, And the two-day international conference will be inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar.
Naming 21 unnamed islands in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- The central government has announced that 23rd January will be celebrated as Parakrama Day (Parakram Diwas) to commemorate the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- On the occasion of Parakram Divas Day on January 23, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will name the 21 unnamed islands in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands after the Paramveer Chakra awardees.
- Till January 2018 21 people have received the Param Veer Chakra award. 20 people have received this award from the Indian Army and one from the Indian Air Force.
- Major Somnath Sharma, Naik Jadunath Singh, Major Priu Singh, Albert Ekka, Major Ramaswamy Parameswaran, Captain Vikram Patra, Lt. Manoj Kumar Pandey are to be named for these islands.
Ministry of Ayush signed MoU with ITDC
- The Ministry of Ayush has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC), Ministry of Tourism, Government of India to work together for the promotion of Medical Value Travel in Ayurveda and other traditional systems of medicine.
- According to the MoU, the Ministry of Ayush will provide training to the officials of ITDC to sensitize them about the Medical value of travel in Ayurveda and other traditional systems of medicine.
Oldest countries in the world list was Published
- The World Population Survey (WPR) has published a list of the oldest countries in the world based on the date of earliest organized government and the date of establishment of self-sovereignty.
- In this list
|Date of earliest organized government countries||Date of establishment of self-sovereignty countries|
|1. Iran – 3200 BC||1. Japan – 660 BC|
|2.Egypt – 3100 BC||2. China – 221 BC|
|3.Vietnam – 2879 BC||3. San Marino – 301 AD|
|4. Armenia – 2492 BC||4. France – 843 AD|
|5. North Korea – 2333 BC||5. Austria – 976 AD|
|6. China – 2070 BC||6. Denmark – 1000 AD|
|7.India -2000 BC||7. Hungary – 1001 AD|
|8.Georgia -1300 BC||8. Portugal – 1143 AD|
|9. Israel – 1300 BC||9. Mongolia – 1206 AD|
|10. Sudan – 1070 BC||10. Thailand – 1238 AD|
Tamiladu’s first turtle conservation and rehabilitation center will be set up in Chennai
- Tamil Nadu has a long coastline of over 1,000 km. 5 species of sea turtles are breeding in it. Olive Ridley turtles lay their eggs in large numbers on the shores of Tamil Nadu.
- In order to protect them, the Tamil Nadu government will set up a sea turtle conservation and rehabilitation center at the National Park complex in Guindy, Chennai at a cost of Rs.6 crore and 30 lakh.
Annual Ethnic Mamani Festival held in Ladakh
- Ethnic Mamani festival was observed at the historical village of Steyangkung, Barsoo in the Kargil district of Ladakh on 22nd January 2023, was organized at Historical Styangkung Village and Chiktan Shagaran by the Himalayan Cultural Heritage Foundation (HCHF) and Ladakh Tourism Department in Ladakh.
- The history of the celebration of the Mamani Festival in Ladakh goes back to the ancient tradition of giving food to departed family members.
“Krishi-Mahotsav: Pradarshani evam Prashikshan” event organized by Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare in Kota, Rajasthan
- The Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Government of India, in association with Government of Rajasthan, is organizing a two-day event called – ‘Krishi-Mahotsav: Pradarshani Evam Prashikshan’ scheduled to be held on 24th-25th January 2023 at Dussehra Ground,Kota, Rajasthan.
- The specialty of this event is to get more and more participation of farmers interested in adopting new technology in agriculture and adopt modern innovative agriculture practices.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization Film Festival in Mumbai
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting is organizing the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Film Festival from the 27th – 31st of January, 2023, in Mumbai, through the National Film Development Corporation.
- The Festival aims to build cinematic partnerships and act as a bridge between the cultures of various countries in the SCO.
2 additional judges have been appointed to the High Court of Karnataka
- Union Law Minister Kiran Rijiju has said that Ramachandra Dattatreya Hatt and Ventakesh Naik Thavarayanayak have been appointed as Additional Judges of the Karnataka High Court.
- According to a report released by the Law Ministry on January 2, 13 seats were vacant out of 62 sanctioned posts of judges in the Karnataka High Court. The currently appointed Additional Judges will be appointed for a period of 2 years. After that, they will be promoted as permanent judges.
New director general of DCGA was appointed
- Vikram Dev Dutt as the next director general in the Directorate of General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) after the approval of the appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- He will be succeeding the incumbent DGCA chief Arun Kumar. Earlier, Dutt had also served as the CMD of Air India. He took charge in January 2023. Dutt is a 1993-batch IAS officer of AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh, Goa, Mizoram and Union Territory) cadre.
‘Pratham Rashtriya Bal Puraskar’ Award 2023
- ‘Pratham Rashtriya Bal Puraskar’ Award 2023′ award is given to Indian Children in the age group of 5-18 years for excellence in six categories – Arts, Culture, Heroism, Innovation, Community Service, Education and Sports – worthy of national recognition.
- This year, six boys and five girls from 11 States and Union Territories of the country have been awarded ‘Pratham Rashtriya Puraskar’ Award ‘ in the fields of Arts and Culture (4), Heroism (1), Innovation (2), Social Service (1) and Sports (3).
- Each recipient of the Pratham Rashtriya Bal Puraskar Award contains a medal, a cash prize of Rs.1 lakh and a certificate.
Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award
- Hindustani vocalist Padma Vibhushan Dr. Prabha Atre was won the Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award at the hands of Maharashtra Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on 22nd January 2023.
- Shinde presented Dr. Atre with a citation and ₹1 lakh at the programme, during which a symphony of 90 flutists was performed to mark her 90th birthday.
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar-2023
- Annual award known as Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar to recognize and honour the invaluable contribution and selfless service rendered by individuals and organizations in India in the field of disaster management.
- For the year 2023, Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) and Lunglei Fire Station (LFS), Mizoram, both in the Institutional category, have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar-2023 for their excellent work in Disaster Management.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 51 lakh and a certificate in case of an institution and Rs. 5 lakh and a certificate in case of an individual.
“India’s Knowledge Supremacy: The New Dawn” Book Written by Dr Ashwin Fernandes
- “India’s Knowledge Supremacy: The New Dawn” Written by international Indian expat, Dr Ashwin Fernandes and was launched by Honourable Minister of Education of India Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, at an event at Dr Ambedkar International Centre.
- This New book launched focuses on India’s knowledge supremacy, journey showcasing changing trends in newly emerging India,and this book deep dives into the shifts in higher education that India has faced since ancient times.
Indian Open Badminton Championship
- Yonex-Sunrise India Open 2023 is a badminton tournament held from 17 January to 22 January 2023 at KT Jadhav Indoor Hall in New Delhi, India.
- The women’s singles final between Japan’s Ahane Yamaguchi and South Korea’s An Seyoung, An Seyoung won the India Open Badminton title. An Seyoung then became the first Korean player to win the Indian Open title.
- In the men’s singles final, Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen played against Thailand’s Kunlavut Vitidsarn , in which Kunlavut Vitidsarn won the men’s singles title.
International Day of Education
- The International Day of Education is celebrated annually on January 24. In the year 2023, the theme is ‘to invest in people, prioritize education’.
- UNESCO is dedicating this year to girls and women in Afghanistan who have been deprived of their right to education. It calls for the immediate lifting of the ban restricting their access to education.