Daily Current Affairs 16th September 2023
India and Japan Plan to Enhance Bilateral Internet Cooperation
- The Governments of India and Japan on September 14 discussed key areas of bilateral Internet cooperation development. It was presided over by Muanpuii Saiawi, Joint Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, on behalf of the Government of India.
- The purpose of this meeting is to review and improve the progress achieved in the field of communication technologies including cyber security and 5G technology. It is also notable that the Sixth India-Japan Cyber Summit is scheduled to be held in New Delhi in 2024.
DMRC and BEL have entered into an MoU to develop a communication-based train control system in the country.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bharat Electronics Company (BEL) to develop an indigenous communication-based train control system in India.
- This will foster an era of self-reliance, development and innovation in the field of domestic train control signaling systems, said a September 2023 report issued by BEL.
Union Minister hangs up second edition of ICAR-CIBA Shrimp Farmers Conference for 2023
- Union Minister of Animal Husbandry, Fisheries and Dairying Shri Parshotham Rupala inaugurated the second edition of ICAR-CIBA Prawn Farmers Conference 2023 in Gujarat State on 14th September 2023.
- The conference is being held at Navsari Agricultural University campus in the state. It is also significant that about 410 aquatic farmers are participating in the coastal districts of the state.
The 2023 Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Staff Conference (IPAC) is set to begin in New Delhi.
- The 2023 Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Staff Conference (IPAC) is scheduled to begin on September 25 in India’s national capital, New Delhi. The conference is a two-day conference that will be held from September 25 to September 27.
- Indian Army Chief Manoj Pandey has invited Bangladesh Army Chief SM Shafiuddin to attend the conference on September 14.
- With this invitation, the existing relationship between the Bangladesh and Indian armies is expected to be strengthened in the future. It is also significant that this conference is being held with the aim of ensuring regional multilateral security partnership.
Prime Minister Modi will dedicate ‘YashoBhoomi’ at Dwarka on September 17.
- According to a recent notification issued by the Gujarat State Government, Prime Minister Modi is going to dedicate the ‘YashoBhoomi’ in Dwarka, the main city of Gujarat, to the country on September 17.
- It is notable that Phase 1 of the India Exhibition and International Convention Center called ‘YashoBhoomi’ is in operation. Also, in that special event, he is scheduled to inaugurate the project to extend the Delhi Airport Metro Express route from Dwarka Sector 21 to Dwarka Sector 25 to the new metro station, according to the notification.
Hygenco has signed a memorandum of understanding for green hydrogen projects in the Middle East region.
- Hygenco Green Energies, a green hydrogen capabilities company, recently announced that it has entered into a memorandum of understanding with Al Jomaih Energy and Water (AEW) to explore and develop green hydrogen projects in the Middle East region.
- It is to be noted that this agreement was made at the recently held India-Saudi Investment Forum meeting for 2023.
The Uttarakhand state government has entered into an MoU with an investment worth Rs.2,600 crore.
- The Uttarakhand Global Investors Summit kicked off on September 14 in the national capital, New Delhi. The Uttarakhand state government signed MoUs with Resorts India and Mahindra Holidays for various development projects worth nearly Rs 1,000 crore at the event.
- It is significant that these MoUs have been entered into with the aim of providing various facilities for the youth and job seekers in the state, rural and urban management, construction of hostels and water stations.
The historic Sankri Devta Mela has begun in Udhampur.
- Sankri Devta Mela, a major festival of historical significance in Jammu and Kashmir, started on September 15, 2023 at Meer, a village in Block Panjari area of Udhampur district.
- This mela can be held for three days. On the first day of this, a “Dangal” is held very well and it is considered special. Also, during this year’s festival, the central government has announced that various sector-specific arenas will be set up in this mela to create awareness among the people about the welfare schemes of the central government.
The West Bengal government and La Liga have signed an MoU to promote football in the state.
- The Spanish Football League said in a statement on September 15 that the West Bengal state government and La Liga have signed a memorandum of understanding for mutual cooperation to promote the state’s football.
- It is notable that the MoU was signed in Madrid in the presence of La Liga president Javier Debas and Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee representing the Indian state.
Chief Minister Stalin has launched Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam in Kanchipuram.
- On September 15, 2023, on the occasion of the birthday of former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and founder of Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam(DMK) CN Annadurai, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin’s major initiative was the launch of the “Kalaignar Magalir Urimai Thittam”.
- It is seen as special that the scheme is aimed at providing entitlement subsidies of around ₹1,000 per month to nearly 1.06 crore household heads in Tamil Nadu.
Santosh Jha appointed as India’s new High Commissioner to Sri Lanka.
- In a recent notification issued on September 14, the Union Ministry of External Affairs mentioned that Santosh Jha has been appointed as the next and new High Commissioner of India to Sri Lanka.
- It is notable that he is a 1993 batch IFS officer and currently serving as Indian Ambassador to Belgium. It is notable that he has previously served as Ambassador of the Government of India to Luxembourg, Belgium and the European Union.
Rajnish Appointed as Chairman of Mastercard India
- MasterCard, a global technology services provider in the payments and disbursements sector, has announced the appointment of Rajnish Kumar, former chairman of the renowned State Bank of India (SBI), as the head of MasterCard India in September 2023.
- One of India’s most renowned players in the banking industry, he is expected to enhance the company through his consistent actions, the company said.
Alkem Laboratories appoints Vikas Gupta as CEO
- Globally renowned Alkem Laboratories has appointed Dr. Vikas Gupta as its CEO, the company said in a statement on September 15.
- He will take charge of this post on September 22, the notification said. He has been selected for this post on the recommendation of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee of the company and will enhance the company through his key activities, the statement said.
SJVN director Akhileshwar has bagged the best CFO award for 2023.
- Akhileshwar Singh, Director, SJVN has been awarded under the category of Best CFO in Power Industry for the year 2023 by Dalal Street Investment Journal (DSIJ) on September 14, 2023 in the national capital, New Delhi.
- It is notable that under his financial expertise, the market capitalization of SJVN increased by 54.41% and the company’s profit after tax increased by 32.67%. It is also reported that he will improve the company through his regular activities.
Technology provider ISG-L&T and CNBC TV-18 jointly launched the second Digital Engineering Awards.
- L&T Technology, a leading global digital engineering and R&D services provider, announced on September 15, 2023 that India-based research and consultancy CNBC TV-18 and Information Services Group (ISG) are planning to announce the second annual Global Digital Engineering Awards.
- The awards recognize business and technical excellence that shapes a better and more sustainable world through transformative ideas that leverage digital engineering.
World Ozone Day 2023
- World Ozone Day is observed on 16th September every year to raise awareness about the depletion of the ozone layer and to identify and develop solutions to protect it.
- It is significant that this commemorates the key declaration date of the signing of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer in 1987. The ozone layer (O3) blocks much of the sun’s highly harmful ultraviolet radiation and protects the world’s population from cataracts and skin cancer.