Daily Current Affairs 20th June 2023
Gandhi Peace Prize announced to Gita Press, Gorakhpur.
- A jury headed by the Prime Minister announced on June 18 that the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2021 will be awarded at “Geeta Press”, Gorakhpur.
- According to the organization, the event is being held to promote the ideal of contribution to social, economic and political change through non-violence and other Gandhian methods. It has been informed that the award will be conducted by the Ministry of Culture and the award will carry a cash prize of one crore rupees and a certificate of appreciation.
The National Yoga Olympiad is planned to be organized in Madhya Pradesh.
- The Central Government has planned to organize the National Yoga Olympiad at Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh on June 21, the flagship 9th International Conference of Yoga.
- This National Yoga Olympiad was inaugurated by Governor Mangu Bhai Patel in Bhopal on June 18. It is also significant that this is the first time that the National Yoga Olympiad is being held outside the national capital, Delhi.
The UP government has entered into an MoU with a private organization to “Improve Students’ Mathematical Skills”.
- The Uttar Pradesh state government has signed a new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Khan Academy India, a renowned private institution, to improve the “Mathematics learning capacity of over Five lakh students” in nearly 48,000 government schools.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has said that the program will provide “High-quality mathematics learning in Hindi and English to students and teachers in the basic education sector” in both government and private schools.
First Infinity Center of Kerala Start-up Mission(KSUM) launched.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan inaugurated the first Infinity Center of Kerala Start-up Mission(KSUM) in Dubai on June 18.
- The center is designed with the aim of setting common goals across the globe to strengthen the ecosystem through new start-up companies.
Indian archer clinches gold at Archery World Cup 2023.
- Indian archer Abhishek Verma won the gold medal in the men’s individual final at this year’s Archery World Cup Volume 3 held in Medellin, Colombia.
- It is notable that Abhishek defeated American James Lutz 148-146 in the final on June 18 to win India’s second gold in the medal tally.
Andy Murray has won the 2nd straight grass-court title in the Nottingham Open final.
- World legend Andy Murray defeated Arthur Cazaux 6-4 in the Nottingham Open final to win his second straight grass-court title ahead of Wimbledon 2023.
- With this win, it is expected that he will play well again in Wimbledon and win the title of champion.
India won the Intercontinental Cup for the 2nd time with a score of 2-0.
- India won the Intercontinental Cup for the second time in its history by beating Lebanon 2-0 in the final at the Kalinga Stadium in Odisha’s capital Bhubaneswar.
- India finished fourth in the previous edition of the tournament in 2019 and it is notable that Sunil Chhetri opened the star game by scoring the goal in the 46th minute for India.
The Indian pair won the men’s doubles title at Indonesia Open.
- Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy won the men’s doubles title at the Indonesia Open held on June 18, 2023.
- It is notable that the pair had a historic win over Malaysia’s Soh Wooi Yik and Aaron Chia and with this, the pair moved up to No. 3 in the BWF World Rankings.
Egypt has Clinched the Squash World Cup.
- Team Egypt won the SDAT-WSF Squash World Cup at Express Avenue Mall in Chennai, Tamil Nadu on June 17.
- Egypt won the trophy after defeating fourth-placed Malaysia 2-1 in the final. It is also notable that Egypt won the World Cup in 2011.
World Refugee Day 2023
- World Refugee Day is observed on June 20 every year to highlight the world efforts to strengthen the protection of refugees after conflict and persecution and support them in restarting their lives.
- Hope away from home is the theme for this year.