Daily Current Affairs 18th June 2023
The 4th National Water Awards will be presented by Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar on June 17 in New Delhi.
- Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar will present the country’s fourth National Water Awards in New Delhi on June 17. Recently the Ministry of Jal Shakti released a list of total 41 winners in 11 categories including co-winners for the fourth National Water Awards 2022.
- Madhya Pradesh in the best state category, Odisha’s Ganjam district in the best district category and Telangana’s Badratri Kothakudem district in the best village panchayat category have bagged the top positions in the list.
NITI Aayog and the United Nations have signed GoI – United Nations Cooperation Action Plan for Sustainable Development 2023-27.
- NITI Aayog and the United Nations Division in India signed the “Government of India – United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Action Plan 2023-2027” in New Delhi on June 16.
- The agreement aims to enhance bilateral cooperation through the Government of India’s joint venture with the United Nations Development Program on “Gender equality, human rights promotion, youth empowerment and the achievement” of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Union Minister has launched DRDO’s Bio-Plastic bags under the initiative “Polythene Free Jammu”.
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) launched polythene-free bio-plastic bags on June 16 with Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri and Lt. Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Manoj Sinha.
- The Union minister has said that this initiative has been started with the aim of “Eliminating polythene bags in Jammu and Kashmir”.
Union Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey has launched a mobile application called “Dugdh Sankalan Sathi”.
- Union Minister of Heavy Industries Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey launched a mobile app called “Dugdh Sankalan Sathi” on June 16 in Mussoorie, Uttarakhand.
- According to the Union Minister, the app is designed with the aim of fostering transparency among stakeholders, improving the quality of milk and streamlining activities at grassroots village level, including milk cooperative societies.
Mahindra has delivered India’s first armored light special vehicle to the Indian government.
- Billionaire businessman Anand Mahindra has flagged off India’s first armored light special vehicle named Armado to the central government.
- The vehicle provides protection against all types of small arms. The best thing about this vehicle is that it can withstand even grenade blasts and weighs 1 tonne. It is also the country’s first vehicle to be manufactured entirely indigenously and by a private company.
Google has launched a program for local language publishers.
- On June 17, Google launched a program of training and policies for local language publishers in India to improve operations and improve their website accessibility.
- This initiative (GNI) has been launched under Google News and aims to provide people with comprehensive information about how people can handle technology and how to solve problems they face on the web.
Pakistan has borrowed $1 billion from China.
- Pakistan has taken a $1 billion loan from its close ally China in an effort to revive the country’s frozen International Monetary Fund debt.
- The State Bank of Pakistan(SBP) has confirmed that it received this loan from China on the night of June 16. Pakistan’s Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said the debt would help revive the country’s economy, which has already collapsed, and officialize its recently depleted foreign reserves.
Justice Nusrat Choudhury became the first Muslim woman Federal Judge in the United States.
- Nusrat Chaudhry, a civil rights lawyer, has been appointed by the Senate as the First Muslim woman Federal Judge in US history.
- She will also serve as the Bangladeshi-American federal judge and a federal judge for the Eastern District of New York, according to the United States Senate.
The National Legislators’ Conference was inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla in Mumbai.
- The National Legislators’ Bharat Conference (NLC Bharat) was officially inaugurated by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla on June 16 in Mumbai.
- Meanwhile, APJ Abdul Kalam Exhibition Hall has been inaugurated there with the theme of the 75th anniversary of Independence and in recognition of the national spirit of democracy of the country.
Jammu district tops the District Good Governance Index of Jammu and Kashmir.
- In the state of Jammu and Kashmir, Jammu district topped the district governance index with a score of 6.37 out of 10.
- DGGI has calculated this index based on the performance of these districts on 58 indicators across 10 sectors including agriculture. The 3rd edition of this District Good Governance Code was released by Chief Secretary Dr. Arun Kumar Mehta on June 16.
NS Viswanathan has been appointed as the non-executive chairman of Axis Bank.
- Axis Bank has appointed NS Vishwanathan, former deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), as part-time non-executive chairman in a notification issued on June 16.
- Prior to this appointment, Axis Bank had appointed Vishwanathan as an independent director in May and he was appointed as the chairman of the advisory board at RazerPay, the largest digital company apart from Axis Bank, in April 2023.
Extension of tenure of Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of Equitas Micro Commercial Bank.
- The Reserve Bank of India on June 16 approved the re-appointment of PN Vasudevan as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Equitas Small Finance Bank (SFB).
- The re-appointment will be effective from July 23, 2023 and he will hold the position for a period of three years, Equitas Small Finance Bank said in its announcement.
An Indian writer has won the European Essay Prize for Lifetime Achievement.
- The Charles Veillon Foundation has announced the “45th European Essay Prize” for Lifetime Achievement to renowned Indian author Arundhati Roy.
- The Veillon Foundation said the prize was awarded for the French translation of Arundhati Roy’s 2021 essay on “Azadi”.
“Anjali” won gold in the 400 meters at the National Inter-state Championships.
- Anjali Devi won the gold medal in the women’s 400m race at the National Inter-State Championships held on June 16.
- Returning to the track almost four years after recovering from a serious injury, the Haryana native is again expected to play for the Indian team in the Asian Games following his gold medal win in the event.
“Manju Rani” has won gold in the National Inter-State Athletics Championship.
- Renowned national record holder Manju Rani from Punjab won gold in the women’s 35 km race walk at the National Inter-State Athletics Championship held this year.
- 3:21:31 is his ratio. It is notable that the 24-year-old battled for this victory after competing for 3 hours and 21 minutes in very tough conditions.
Archery World Cup 2023 – Indian recurve men’s team wins bronze medal.
- India’s men’s recurve team has won the bronze medal in Stage 3 of this year’s Archery World Cup to be held in Medellin, Colombia on June 15.
- It is notable that this Indian recurve team consisting of Dheeraj Pommadewara (ranked four), Tushar Shelke and Mrinal Chauhan defeated China 5-3.
Autistic Pride Day 2023.
- “Autistic Pride Day” is observed every year on June 18 to create awareness among the public about Autism Spectrum Disorder and to make the world understand the need to end discrimination against those born with this disorder.
- “Changing the Narrative: Contributions at Home, at Work, in the Arts and in Policymaking” is the theme for this year.