Daily Current Affairs 17th June 2023
The Indian Navy has launched an initiative called “Julley Ladakh” for the youth.
- The Indian Navy has launched an initiative called “Julley Ladakh” to increase awareness of public service in Ladakh and improve connectivity with the youth and general public.
- The initiative aims to create awareness among the people about the central government schemes in the northern region of Ladakh like Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav and the career opportunities offered by the Indian Navy in schools and colleges in the Ladakh region, including the “Agnipath Scheme“.
A plan to buy “30 MQ-9B Predator drones” from the US has been approved.
- The procurement plan has been approved at a recent Defense Acquisition Council (DAC) meeting chaired by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh and the central government has announced that the procurement 30 MQ-9B drones deal worth around $3 billion will be announced next week following talks between Modi and US President Joe Biden at the White House.
- The procurement of 30 MQ-9B drones, known as “Hunter-killer” drones, has been announced for various missions including maritime surveillance, precision shooting down of aerial targets and anti-submarine warfare.
NHAI has initiated initiatives to repair accident sites in a short period of time.
- NHAI has taken a proactive initiative to bring the guidelines to the public for Fixing accident spots on national highways to improve road safety.
- Under this initiative, it has been announced that 1 lakh to 25 lakhs will be handed over to the concerned zonal office for repairing accident-prone areas.
The Central Government plans to conduct a ‘Stay Safe Online’ initiative.
- The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) plans to launch a “Stay Safe Online” initiative in association with Google.
- The initiative aims to create awareness among people about multilingual digital content, cyber security literacy programs and how to navigate information on the internet.
Japan has signed a USD 2.9 million agreement with UNHCR.
- Japan has signed an agreement to provide approximately US$2.9 million to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), to improve the lives of Rohingya refugees living in Bangladesh and help with their general living needs.
- It is reported that under the leadership of UNHCR, Bangladesh representative Johannes Wan and Japanese Ambassador to Bangladesh Iwama Kiminori signed the agreement in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.
A plan to convert prisons into “Reform Houses” in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on June 15 issued an order to reform prisons in the state by making some reforms in the prison system.
- He mentioned that the Modern Prisons Act, 2023 was recently prepared by the Government of India and it has been developed following the guidelines for the reformation and rehabilitative life of the prisoners.
Rajasthan emerges top achiever in wind energy.
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Government of India organized a conference on “World Wind Day” on June 15 in New Delhi.
- The conference is organized with the objective of discussing the possible ways to develop and accelerate wind energy in India. “Pawan – Urja: Powering the Future of India” is the theme of the conference.
- Also in this conference, the states of Rajasthan, Gujarat and Tamil Nadu in the financial year 2022-23. It has been mentioned by the central government that it has achieved the highest wind capacity and occupied the top three positions.
Arunachal Pradesh’s oldest “Wihu Kuh” festival has begun.
- The Wihu Kuh festival, celebrated as a very traditional festival by the most ancient Tangsa tribe of Arunachal Pradesh, begins on June 15.
- This festival is celebrated annually to celebrate the harmony between humans, animals, birds and nature.
A 2-day “Science-20 conference” is planned to be held at Bhopal.
- The two-day “Science-20” summit under India’s G-20 leadership began in Bhopal on June 16. It has been announced that the conference will be chaired by Ashutosh Sharma, President of the Indian National Science Organization.
- “Connecting Science with Society and Culture” is the theme for this conference.
Sanjay Kumar – GAIL takes over as Director.
- “Sri Sanjay Kumar” took charge as the Director (Marketing) of GAIL Ltd., an Indian public company, on June 15.
- It is to be noted that prior to this appointment, he was the Managing Director of Indraprastha Gas Company, India’s largest CNG distribution company since April 2022.
“Jane Marriott” was appointed as the First Female British Ambassador to Pakistan.
- The UK has on June 15 appointed senior Diplomat Jane Marriott as the next British High Commissioner to Pakistan. With this appointment, she has earned the status of “First British Female Ambassador” to Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The High Commission said in a statement that he had been appointed to the post because of his outstanding handling of Britain’s international affairs with Iraq and Afghanistan in the past.
“Feliciano Lopez” appointed as Davis Cup Tournament Director.
- The International Tennis Federation announced on June 15 that Feliciano Lopez has been appointed as the Director of the Davis Cup Finals.
- He is expected to improve the competition through his excellent process with this appointment.
Varun Tomar won gold in the air rifle category at the KSSM Shooting Championship.
- Junior World Championship medalist Varun Tomar won gold in the men’s 10m air rifle category at the 2023 Kumar Surendra Singh Memorial Shooting Championship on June 15.
- Also in this final, Sagar Dangi from the Army Shooting category of six shooters secured the third position with 219.4 points.
Two-time Oscar-winning actress Glenda Jackson has passed away.
- Glenda Jackson, the two-time Oscar-winning actress, has died at the age of 87 after a prolonged illness.
- She has also served as a Member of Parliament in England and has won a BAFTA and two Oscars.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought 2023
- The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year on June 17 to raise public awareness of international efforts to combat desertification in various locations.
- This year’s theme is “Her Land. Her Rights“.