Daily Current Affairs 19th February 2023
Union Government launches the ‘mPassport Police App’
- The Ministry of External Affairs has launched the ‘mPassport Police App’ to fast-track the passport verification process, and also Union Home Minister Amit Shah dedicated 350 mobile tablets to personnel of the Delhi Police Special Branch.
- The app is not only streamlining the passport verification process but will also helps for timely updating and issuance of the passports as all verifications will take five days now.
BEL and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) signed MoU to establish Joint Venture
- The Bharat Electronics Limited operating under the defense ministry recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) will establish a joint venture at the Aero India Air Show.
- This JV will provide support to the missile defense system of the country. The JV will mainly focus on MRSAM (Medium Range Surface to Air Missile).
- And also signed an MoU under which IAI will help BEL in producing the LORA (Long Range Artillery System) weapon system.
16th edition of the International Industrial Trade fair held in Nepal
- The 16th edition of the International Industrial Trade Fair and Cottage Industry Festival of Nepal is seeing thousands of footfalls on a daily basis at Bhrikutimandap in Kathmandu starts on 14th February 2023.
- The five-day fair aimed to promote local industries and the consumption of domestic products. Around 183 cottage industries from Nepal and other SAARC countries are exhibiting their products at the five-day fair.
The UAE and India have launched the UAE India Business Council – UAE Chapter (UIBCUC)
- The UAE and India have launched the UAE India Business Council – UAE Chapter (UIBCUC) to strengthen economic ties and support their joint mission to increase bilateral trade and investment on February 18, 2023 in Dubai.
- The council will play a crucial role in supporting the two governments in their joint mission to boost bilateral trade and investment.
Spain has passed a law granting paid leave to women during menstruation
- Spain, one of the European countries, has enacted a law providing women with paid leave during menstruation. Spain is also the first European country to introduce this act.
- This menstrual leave is practiced only in a few countries in the world including Japan, Indonesia and Zambia. Now Spain is included in this list.
The Chief Minister laid the foundation stone for setting up a mini Tidel park in Vellore district of Tamil Nadu
- Chief Minister M.K.Stalin laid the foundation stone for the construction of a mini Tidel park on 4.98 acres of land in Vellore district on behalf of the Department of Industry, Investment Promotion and Commerce at a cost of Rs.30 crore.
- Also, an MoU was signed between the Government of Tamil Nadu and Ola Electric Mobility Pvt Ltd for manufacturing four-wheeler electric vehicles and setting up a 20 GW battery capacity plant with an investment of Rs 7,614 crore to provide employment to 3,111 people.
The International Shivratri Fair is held in Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Sukhwinder Singh Sugu will inaugurate the International Shivratri Fair at Mandi on February 19, 2023.
- Maha Shivratri festival is usually celebrated in northern states, accordingly a seven-day international fair will be held in Himachal this year on the occasion of Maha Shivratri.
49th meeting of the GST Council is held in New Delhi
- The 49th meeting of the GST Council is being chaired by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman after the presentation of the union budget held in New Delhi on 18th February 2023.
- The GST Council meeting is to discuss setting up appellate tribunals and mechanisms to curb tax evasion in pan masala and gutkha business.
- The goods and services tax (GST) council is an apex member body for amending, resolving, or obtaining any law or regulation related to goods and services tax.
- The last GST council meeting was held on December 22, 2022, which was the 48th meeting.
SBI to launch “Amrit kalash” fixed deposit scheme for senior citizen
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched a new fixed Deposit scheme “the Amrit Kalash” to retail term deposit scheme with a specific duration and benefits like a higher interest rate.
- The scheme has a limited-period fixed deposit scheme, which will offer an interest rate of 7.6% to senior citizens and 7.1% to others; the scheme is applicable for NRI persons.
A new chief justice of Jharkhand High Court was appointed
- Justice Sanjaya Kumar Mishra was appointed as the chief justice of the Jharkhand High Court on 17th February 2023.
- He was presently working as a judge at the Uttarakhand High Court, He joined the district judiciary in Odisha as a Additional District & Sessions Judge in 1999.and also he served as a Special CBI judge and Registrar General of the Orissa High Court.
Mining and Construction Business director of BEML was appointed
- The President of India has appointed Shantanu Roy as the Director (Mining and Construction Business) on the Board of BEML Limited for a period of five years with effect from 17th February 2023.
- Shantanu Roy, presently working as an Executive Director and also Roy having more than 30 years of experience in the capital goods sectors for Defense, Mining and Construction, Transportation.
- BEML Limited, formerly Bharat Earth Movers Limited, is an Indian public sector undertaking which manufactures a variety of heavy equipment, such as that used for earth moving, railways, transport and mining. It is headquartered in Bangalore.
A 3.3-foot-long dinosaur footprint has been discovered in England
- Researchers have found footprints of dinosaurs that lived about 16 million years ago on a piece of rock in England’s oldest county of Yorkshire.
- Archaeologists said that it is a dinosaur’s left footprint, and its measuring 3.3 feet long.
UNESCO’s International Mother Language Award for 2023
- UNESCO, an educational, scientific and cultural organization of the United Nations, presents the International Mother Language Award every year.
- According to this, Odisha’s Mahendra Kumar Mishra, a linguist and folk artist, has been selected for UNESCO’s International Mother Language Award for the year 2023. This award is given to honor the person who promotes mother tongue among people.
World Whale Day 2023
- World Whale Day is celebrated every year on the third Sunday in February and in the year 2023; it takes place on February 19.
- This day is observed to protect the aquatic creatures that are an important part of the ecosystem. And also due to dumping waste in our oceans that have erupted making marine life difficult.
World day of Social Justice
- World social justice day is observed every year on February 20.
- The main aim of the day is to raise awareness of social injustice and to bring together diverse communities around the world to eradicate poverty, gender, physical discrimination, illiteracy, and religious discrimination and create a society that is socially integrated.
- Theme of the day is Overcoming Barriers and Unleashing Opportunities for Social Justice