Daily Current Affairs 18th February 2023
Indian Railways launches the Rail Post Gati Shakti Express Cargo Service
- Indian Railways launched the Rail Post Gati Shakti Express Cargo Service to provide seamless logistics for the services sector in the country.
- The cargo Service is an initiative of partnership between Indian Railways and India Posts. It will provide total logistic Service – Pick-Up and Delivery at customer premises.
- Initially it has been started, on the four sectors –
- Delhi to Kolkata,
- Bangalore to Guwahati,
- Surat to Muzaffarpur
- Hyderabad to Hazrat Nizamuddin.
India’s Indigenously developed communication link called VAYULINK
- The Indian Air Force has developed an innovative solution with a new data link communication called VAYULINK. It will provide uninterrupted communication even during bad weather. Above all the communication link is jammer-proof.
- It prevents aircraft collision, aids in multiple team coordination, aids pilots to traverse hilly regions at ease; the system uses the satellite only when the signals are low.
India signed MoU with Fiji on visa exemption for Official Passport
- India and Fiji have signed a Memorandum of Understanding on visa exemption for holders of diplomatic and official passports.
- Under this agreement, diplomatic and official passport holders will be able to enter, transit, and stay in each other’s territories without a visa for a period not exceeding 90 days.
Services Trade Restrictiveness Index-STRI
- The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development recently released the Services Trade Restrictiveness Index, in the year 2023, STRI covered around 50 countries.
|Rank||Countries in top 5 in the list|
|Rank||Countries in the bottom most|
Forest Resource Management Centre launched in Jammu and Kashmir
- Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha inaugurated the Forest Resource Management Centre (FRMC) and launched the National Transit Pass System at Narwal in Jammu at Jammu Kashmir.
- The FRMC will also play a key role in digitalization of forest boundaries as well as for management of forests through geo reference based information and mapping, and also the FRMC has been planned to scale up the use of modern technology such as GIS, Remote Sensing and digital tools like a mobile application.
The Sixth phase of Sujalam-Sufalam Jal Abhiyan was launched at Khoraj in Gandhinagar – Gujarat
- Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel launched the sixth phase of Sujalam-Sufalam Jal Abhiyan at Khoraj in Gandhinagar on 17th February 2023.
- The campaign aims to raise the groundwater level and maximize the use of rainwater will be held for 104 days till 31st May 2023 and also Various developmental works for the deepening of lakes, delisting works of check dams, and reservoirs, construction of new check dams, and banks will be carried out across the state.
Ministry of Textiles organizes the Technotex 2023 in Mumbai
- The Union Ministry of Textiles is going to organize India’s forthcoming premier show on Technical Textiles,‘Technotex 2023: Envisioning Indian Technical Textiles@ 2047’, to be held from 22nd to 24th February 2023 in Mumbai.
- The aim of Technotex is to promote technical textiles, which includes textiles meant for some specific purpose like Medical, Defense, Industrial, Agriculture, Automotive, Building, Packaging textiles etc.
- The first edition of Technotex was organized in 2011.
Indian American is appointed as a new CEO of Youtube
- Indian-American Neal Mohan will be the next Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of YouTube after Susan Wojcicki announced her resignation.
- Neal Mohan is currently serving as the Chief Product Officer of YouTube. Before joining YouTube, Mohan was the Senior Vice President, Display and Video Ads at Google.
New Director of the Prime Minister’s Office has been appointed
- Senior officer Lalithalakshmi has been appointed as the new Director of the Prime Minister’s Office. Now she is working as the Campus Director of the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in Kolkata.
- She is an IAS from West Bengal Division in 2008. And she will be the Director of the Prime Minister’s Office till February 28, 2027.
New CEO Of Bharat Aluminium Company was appointed
- Rajesh Kumar is appointed as a new CEO and Whole Time Director of Bharat Aluminum Company Limited (BALCO), India’s iconic aluminum producer and a subsidiary of Vedanta Aluminum Business.
- Rajesh Kumar replaces Abhijit Pati, who will now serve as Vedanta Aluminum’s Chief Transformation Officer. Rajesh Kumar has 36 years of experience in operations, maintenance, and project implementation in Tata Steel’s Indian and Thai units.
‘Prathista Puraskar’ – ‘Digidhan Awards 2021-22’
- Karnataka Bank has been awarded with ‘Prathista Puraskar’ award under ‘Digidhan Awards 2021-22’ by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- The bank received this award for achieving the target with highest percentage in BHIM-UPI transactions in the private sector bank category, and the bank is currently undertaking an accelerated digital drive under its transformation journey ‘KBL VIKAAS 2.0’.
PFC Chairman Conferred with CMD Leadership award at 9th PSU Awards and Conference
- Shri Ravinder Singh Dhillon, Chairman & Managing Director of Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC) was conferred with the prestigious “CMD Leadership Award (Maharatna)” by Governance Now (SAB TV Group) in recognition of his stellar leadership.
- It is also worth noting that Dhillon has over 38 years of diverse experience.
New Chief Coach of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Team was Appointed
- Former cricketer Sulakshan Kulkarni has been appointed as the head coach of the Tamil Nadu Senior Men’s Cricket Team on the recommendation of the Cricket Committee.
- Sulakshan Kulkarni has previously coached Mumbai and Vidarbha teams and now he has been appointed as the head coach of Tamil Nadu for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 seasons.
Former Indian football player Tulsidas Balaram passed away
- Tulsidas Balaram (age 86), a former Indian football player, lived in Uttarpara, West Bengal. Due to kidney infection, Tulsidas Balaram passed away.
- He was part of the Indian football team that won the gold medal in the 1962 Asian Games and also he was awarded the Arjuna Award in 1962.
Global Tourism Resilience Day
- The United Nations General Assembly has adopted a resolution from Jamaica to declare the first-ever Global Tourism Resilience Day on 17th February 2023, in an effort to future-proof the sustainability of tourism.
- Theme for the day is “Harnessing the Path to Recovery through Resilience and Investment” and the day is observed to raise awareness of the importance of sustainable tourism, in accordance with local, regional and national priorities.