Daily Current Affairs 9th May 2023
Discovery of lithium reserves in Rajasthan
- The lithium reserves discovered in Decana municipality in Nagaur district in Rajasthan are said to contain more lithium than the recently discovered 5.9 million tonnes in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The amount of lithium available in Rajasthan will meet 80 percent of the country’s demand, officials said. Lithium reserves were discovered for the first time in Jammu and Kashmir’s Riasi in February this year. It was India’s first significant mineral discovery.
First Indian Air Force Heritage Center inaugurated in Chandigarh
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Indian Air Force Heritage Center in Chandigarh, which was set up last year after the signing of an MoU between the Union Territory of Chandigarh and the Indian Air Force.
- Embodying the rich history and heritage of the IAF, the center houses a collection of artefacts, murals that showcase the evolution of the force since its inception.
The Ministry of Housing (MoHUA) and the Ministry of Railways have jointly signed an MoU with the Japan International Cooperation Agency
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) and the Ministry of Railways jointly signed an MoU with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) for ‘Upgradation of Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Station Area’ (Project-SMART).
- The ministry further noted that out of 12 railway stations, MoUs were signed for four high-speed railway stations including Sabarmati, Surat in Gujarat and Virar and Thane in Maharashtra.
Delhi Metro introduced QR code based paper tickets
- Delhi Metro introduced QR code based paper tickets for all its journeys. Following this, passengers can use tickets in addition to travel cards and tokens.
- Also, two Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates have been set up at all stations for traveling through QR based paper tickets.
Two Buddhist stupas were discovered at Bandhavgarh in Madhya Pradesh
- Following the discovery of 2,000-year-old rock art and evidence of modern society at the famous Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh’s Umaria district, two Buddhist stupas have been unearthed.
- One of these stupas is 15 feet tall and the other is 18 feet tall. And these were used to contain the ashes of religious leaders.
A 2 feet high iron anchor found in the Adichanallur excavations
- A world-class museum is being built by the Central Department of Archeology at Adichanallur, Thoothukudi district. As the first phase, excavation work was done in the Parambu area of Adichanallur.
- After these works were completed, the work of documenting the materials found in the work was done. Then 2 feet high iron anchor was found on the side of an Mudhumakkal thali
Sabalenka of Belarus won the Madrid Open tennis title
- The Madrid Open tennis tournament started on May 1 in Madrid, Spain. The women’s singles semi-final saw Sabalenka and Greece’s Maria Zachary clash. Sabalenka won 6-4, 6-1 and qualified for the final round.
- In this case, Sabalenka and Iga Svyatek clashed in the final round. Sabalenka played well and won 6-3. Sabalenka then won the Madrid Open tennis tournament.
Jeremy won silver at the Asian Weightlifting Championships 2023
- Asian Weightlifting Championship 2023 held in South Korea. India’s Jeremy Lalrinnunga lost in the men’s 67kg category. Following this, he won the silver medal in the snatch category of the competition.
- Commonwealth Games 2022 champion Jeremy equaled 141kg in his third attempt to set a personal best.
Tamil Nadu player Praveen Chitravel holds national record in triple jump
- Praveen Chitravel, a 21-year-old athlete from Tamil Nadu, has set a new national record in triple jump at the ‘Prova de Confrontacion Athletics Meet’ held in Havana, Cuba by clearing a distance of 17.37 meters. It has to be formally approved by the Athletics Federation of India.
- With this, he has won gold in this competition. In 2016, Ranjith had cleared a national record of 17.30 meters. Now Praveen has broken it.
World Thalassemia Day
- World Thalassemia Day is observed on 8th May every year. The day tries to raise awareness about the struggle of Thalassemia patients and to honor the efforts of doctors, scientists and medical workers who are fighting to improve their lives.
- This year’s theme of World Thalassemia Day is “Be Aware. Share. Care: Strengthening Education to Bridge the Thalassemia Care Gap.”