Daily Current Affairs 8th September 2023
9,400 crore scheme for development of battery energy storage systems has been approved by the Central Government.
- The Central Government on September 06 approved Vibrating Gap Funding (VGF) scheme for development of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS).
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur has announced that the scheme aims to develop nearly 4,000 MW of BESS projects with 40 per cent funding by 2030-31. It is designed with an important objective to synthesize various issues related to battery and electricity in the country.
One Week One Lab program is planned to be conducted at CSIR.
- A flagship program of One Week One Lab at the campus of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is scheduled to be held from 11th to 16th September 2023.
- The initiative aims to showcase each of the nearly 37 CSIR laboratories spread across the country to showcase their achievements and research results and analyze and benchmark them accordingly.
India plans to conduct Bharat Drone Shakti – 2023 at Hindan Air Base.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Drone Federation of India are planning to conduct the Bharat Drone Shakti – 2023 at the Hindan Air Base in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh from September 25.
- According to the Ministry of Defence, the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in India is increasing both in the military and in civilian areas and this exercise is aimed at promoting the development of unmanned aircraft technology and the event is said to be an important part of India’s commitment to become a global drone hub by 2030.
The 48th Toronto International Film Festival kicks off in Canada.
- The 48th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) is scheduled to take place on September 7 in Canada. It is significant that this festival will take place from September 07 to September 17.
- The Central Government has announced that India will participate in this function under the leadership of Union Minister Prithul Kumar. The Union Minister said that this festival will be an important center to showcase India’s creative and technological strength to the world stage.
Japan has successfully launched a research satellite called XRISM.
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency has successfully launched the XRISM, a key new research satellite to unravel the evolution of the universe and the evolution of spacetime.
- The X-ray Imaging and Spectroscopy Mission (XRISM) satellite and the Main Lander for Earth Observation (SLIM) were launched by an H2A rocket on September 6 at 8:42 a.m. from the Tanegashima Space Center in Kagoshima. Also notable is that XRISM is a reconfiguration of the Hitomi service, a JAXA spacecraft launched in 2016.
Rustem Umerov has been named the Minister of Defense of Ukraine.
- Ukraine’s parliament announced on September 6 that former MP Rustem Umero had been elected as the country’s central defense minister, the most controversial post in the defense sector since Russia’s invasion 18 months ago.
- The 41-year-old is expected to replace Oleksii Reznikov and defuse the tense atmosphere in the war-torn country, security experts said.
Assam Chief Minister lays foundation stone for various development projects worth Rs 750 crore in Barak Valley.
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma will lay foundation stones for various development projects worth over Rs 750 crore in Barak Valley, a key development hub in the state, during his two-day visit beginning on September 7.
- The Chief Minister said that the important development projects include the bridge over Barak river in Silchar-Fulertal area worth Rs 58 crore, bridge worth Rs 14 crore on Sonai-Dungripar road and the bridge worth Rs 87 crore on Barrack river connecting Dutpati near Itkola Ghat area worth Rs 87 crore.
The 4th edition of Global FinTech Festival is taking place in Maharashtra.
- The 4th edition of the Global FinTech Festival was held on September 06 in Mumbai, the capital of Maharashtra, with the aim of disentangling the challenges and issues faced by FinTech. It is notable that Central Reserve Bank Governor Shaktikanta Das has attended as a special invitee.
- The impact is aimed at ensuring that regulated companies operate within the boundaries set by their license conditions and address issues arising from data privacy breaches and unethical business conduct.
Maharashtra approves Rs 837 crore cybersecurity initiative.
- The Maharashtra State Cabinet on September 06, 2023 has approved a scheme for Cyber Crime Protection worth nearly Rs 837 crore to curb the rising cyber crime in the state.
- It is said that the project is designed with the objective of providing a 24-hour emergency service system for citizens to register complaints against cybercrime and facilities for expeditious disposal of complaints that can be uploaded there.
An MoU has been signed to improve sewage treatment infrastructure in Meerut.
- A tripartite agreement has been signed between Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam, National Commission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and Meerut’s Sewage Treatment Plant (STP).
- The plan is a new model called “Hybrid Annuity PPP” with an amount of nearly Rs. 369.74 crores and is scheduled to be completed by December 2025. It is reported that this MoU has been carried out with the main objective of improving diversion and interception (I&D) structures, creation of I&D network and reduction of sewage problems in Meerut city and sewage pollution in the river.
The Telangana government has launched an initiative for French in state welfare schools.
- The Telangana Government in collaboration with the French Institute in India (IFI) has introduced “French Language” in major state schools run by Telangana Tribal Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Association (TTWREIS) and Telangana Social Welfare Residential Educational Institutions Association (TSWREIS).
- The Telangana State Government said that the project is aimed at promoting language learning and more importantly cultural understanding among the students and thereby increasing their multilingualism.
Appointed Sharmila Sherikar as Head of Organizational Development, Sonata Organization.
- The world’s leading modernization engineering company, Sonata Software, has appointed Sharmila Sherikar as the head of corporate development and corporate senior vice president, the company said in a September 2023 announcement.
- With more than three decades of industry experience at Sonata, he will drive organizational development through various initiatives.
NIPS Director Dr. Vivek has received the TIMES Bengal Icon Award for Hospitality Education 2023.
- NIPS Hotel Management Company, the leader in hospitality education in the state of West Bengal, has received the TIMES Bengal Icon Award for Hospitality Education for the year 2023, the company said in a recent announcement.
- The announcement mentioned that Dr. Vivek Pathak, the Managing Director of the company, has received this award. This award recognizes him for his exceptional efforts, contributions and strong commitment to the industry.
The Indian men’s team has won bronze in the 2023 Asian Table Tennis Championship.
- The Indian men’s team finished with a bronze medal against Chinese Taipei in the semifinals of the 2023 Asian Table Tennis Championship held in Pyeongchang, Republic of South Korea on September 06.
- It is notable that the Indian men’s team consisting of Harmeet Desai, Sharath Kamal and Sathyan Gnanasekaran have lost their last four matches with 0-3 points to retain this medal.
International Literacy Day 2023
- Every year 8th September is celebrated as “International Literacy Day(ILD)” to create awareness about the importance of literacy among the general public across the world.
- It is notable that this day was established by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1966. The day is observed with the theme of reminding the general public of the world that literacy is a human right and empowering individuals and communities.
World Physical Therapy Day 2023
- World Physical Therapy Day is observed on September 8 every year to raise awareness of the important role physical therapists play in making people around the world healthier and more productive.
- It is significant that this day is observed to honor the contribution of physiotherapists to society. It is significant that this day was established by the World Confederation of Physical Therapy (WCPT) in 1996. “Prevention and Management of Osteoarthritis” is the theme for this year.