Daily Current Affairs 8th April 2023
The Union Cabinet has approved the Indian Space Policy 2023.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Indian Space Policy 2023. The roles and responsibilities of ISRO, NewSpace India Limited and private sector companies are outlined below.
- The objective of this policy is to enhance the role of the space sector, to enhance the activities of the Indian Space Research Organization, to provide greater contribution from research, academia, startups and industry.
The Union Finance Ministry has approved setting up of a committee to review the National Pension Scheme for government employees
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has approved to form a committee to review the pension system for government employees under National Pension System (NPS). There are four-members are there in the committee and it will be headed by Finance Secretary T.V. Somanathan.
- A committee has been formed to review the National Pension Scheme also known as New Pension Scheme and recommend any changes required.
5 Indian-origin women feature in Most Influential Women in US Finance list
- People of Indian origin can be found in various leadership positions in the world. In that way, five women of Indian origin are included in the list of 100 influential women in American finance published by the American weekly magazine Barron’s.
- Barron’s list includes Anu Iyengar, Rupal J. Women of Indian origin include Bhansali, Sonal Desai, Meena Flynn and Savita Subramanian.
30 Years of Elephant Project: President inaugurates Gaj Utsav at Assam’s Kaziranga National Park
- President Draupadi Murmu inaugurated the ‘Gaj Utsav 2023’ at Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
- Marking 30 years of the Elephant Project, the President said that elephants are highly valued in our tradition and are considered symbols of prosperity. Elephant is the national heritage animal of India. Therefore, it is our responsibility to protect elephants so that we can preserve our national heritage.
Secunderabad -Tirupati Vande Bharat Express is inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
- Secunderabad –Tirupati Vande bharat express train will be inaugurated by Prime Minister shri Narendra Modi at Secunderabad Railway Station.
- This is the second Vande Bharat train for the two Telugu States, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh after Secunderabad-Visakhapatnam and totally 13 Vande bharat express trains currently operated by Indian railways. At the inaugural ceremony pm modi also laid a foundation stone of various projects worth Rs 11,300 cr.
Justice Devaraju Nagarjun sworn in as judge of Madras High court
- Presiding Chief Justice T. Raja administered the oath of office to Dr. Devaraju Nagarjuna as a judge of Madras High Court. And he will retire on 14th August 2024.
- Devaraju Nagarjun started practicing as a lawyer in 1986 after completing his law studies. He was selected as a civil judge in 1991. He has a doctorate in law. And he was appointed as Telangana High Court Judge in March 2022.
Award to 9 districts in Tamil Nadu for TB eradication work
- On behalf of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Union Government, in a program held in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, on March 24, the government has given awards in appreciation of the efforts taken by the government to eradicate tuberculosis.
- For the year 2022, gold medals were awarded to Trichy and Tiruvarur districts, silver medals to Madurai, Tuticorin, Karur, Kanyakumari, Tiruvannamalai districts and bronze medal to Krishnagiri district. There are also three TB-free districts in India. Nilgiri district is one of them.
Discovery of Vyazhavari sculpture near Paramakkudy in Tamil Nadu
- Vyazhavari sculpture and Vamana avatar symbol stone paintings were found in the ancient temple constructions of Sonyenthal Kanmai at Lahamarichan village near Paramakudi in Ramanathapuram district.
- This small piece of stone in the basement of the temple has three Vyazhavari sculptures on one side and the Vamana avatara symbols of Tirumala on the other side Kamandalam, Kudai, Kotoviyam like a snake coiled around a stick. It must have been an ancient temple dating back to the Pandya period.
- Excavation work has also started at 8 places in Tamil Nadu including Keeladi. Following this, the Keeladi punai meiyaaka app has been introduced.
Mangal Pandey’s 166th Death Anniversary-April 8th
- Many brave people gave their lives as a result of our commitment to the freedom of our country.
- Mangal Pandey was one of those martyrs who participated in the rebellion against the crimes of the East India Company in 1857. Mangal Pandey’s memorial day is today 8th April.