Daily Current Affairs 5th May 2023
Railway Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) has been awarded the “Navaratna” status.
- Railway Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL), a central public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Railways, has been accorded the “Navaratna” status. It is noteworthy that RVNL was awarded the “Mini-Ratna” status in September 2013.
- Granting “Navaratna” status to RVNL is said to lead to enhanced delegation of powers and greater operational independence and financial autonomy.
India ranks 161 in World Press Freedom Index.
- India has fallen 11 places to rank 161 out of 180 countries in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index.
- RSF(Reporters Without Borders) released the World Press Freedom Index, which assesses the state of the press in 180 countries. it is Notabe that Norway has topped the index for seven years in a row.
India is Planning to introduce its own country heat index from next year.
- India plans to introduce its own heat index every year from next year to measure the impact of heat on its population, creating impact-based heat wave warnings for specific locations.
- This index is used to calculate how hot an area actually feels and takes air temperature and humidity into account to determine this index.
The first hurricane of 2023 was named “Storm Mocha”.
- The storm originated from the Yemeni port city of Mocha (or Mochkka ) on the Red Sea coast, hence the named “Mocha Storm”.
- The city of Mocha is well-known for its coffee trade and has long been known for its famous mocha coffee. The cyclone has been named Cyclone Mocha as per the mandate given by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh laid the foundation stone for the Indian made port for the Maldives Coast Guard.
- Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, accompanied by Maldivian Prime Minister Maria Didi, laid the “foundation stone” for the National Defense Force’s Coast Guard ‘Ekata Harbour’ in Male, the capital of the Maldives on Wednesday.
- It is notable that this is the first time in 11 years that an Indian Defense Minister has visited the island nation.
The UAE government has launched its summit titled ‘Machines Can See 2023’.
- The conference aims to bring together experts from around the world to discuss the future of AI, questions and answers, and its potential to contribute to the UAE’s vision of creating the next Silicon Valley.
- It is Notable that the event is organized in collaboration with Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism and Dubai Future Foundation.
Three Iranian women journalists have been awarded the UN’s highest award for press freedom.
- Three female journalists currently detained in Iran have been awarded this year’s UN High Prize for Press Freedom for their dedication to truth and accountability.
- UNESCO’s World Press Freedom Prize is named after Colombian journalist Guillermo Cano, who was assassinated in 1986. Since 1997, World Press Freedom Day has been celebrated annually on 3 May.
NTPC has commissioned a thermal power plant in Bangladesh and opened its first overseas competence centre.
- NTPC Group has recently added 660 MW Unit-1 to its portfolio of 1320 MW (2×660) Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant (MSTPP) located at Bagarhat, Mongla, Rampal, in Bangladesh.
- In this new addition, NTPC’s installed capacity is reported to rise to 72304 MW.
QR system has been introduced for the first time in Tamil Nadu to prevent smuggling of food items and provide quality food items.
- For the first time in Tamil Nadu, QR system has been introduced in Nilgiris district to prevent smuggling of food items and provide quality food items.
- A “free small grain scheme” has been launched at Palkola Fair Price Shop in Ooty, Nilgiris District.
A scheme has been introduced to improve the skills of micro, small and medium workers in the North Eastern region of the country.
- It aims to enhance the capacity of micro, small and medium workers in the North Eastern states and expand their businesses utilizing the benefits under the SRI Fund.
- The Government of India has introduced Rs.10,006 crore for SRI funds and the scheme focuses on providing capital to micro, small and medium enterprises through these funds.
Indian-origin “Ajay Banka” has been chosen as the next president of the World Bank.
- The World Bank’s 25-member executive committee on May 3 night announced the selection of former MasterCard (Mastercard is the world’s second largest payment processing company) CEO Ajay Bankai as its president for a five-year term.
- The 63-year-old Banga was nominated for the post by US President Joe Biden in February.
Science and Technology
US approves first RSV vaccine.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved GSK’s first vaccine against respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
- It is significant that this is the first vaccine against the virus, which is a common respiratory infection that is especially dangerous for the elderly. GSK Stated that with this vaccine, elderly people can easily recover from respiratory diseases.
A Powerful drug has been discovered in bear fur
- Recently researchers have discovered the presence of “antibiotic bacteria” in the fur of Sloth bears.
- This species of bear is reported to be most abundant along the coasts of Costa Rica in Central America.
International Firefighters Day (IFFD)
- International Firefighters Day (IFFD) is observed every year on May 4 to honor and pay tribute to the great work done by firefighters.