Daily Current Affairs 28th March 2023
NPCA (National Plan for Conservation of Aquatic Eco-systems) scheme
- Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has provided necessary financial assistance to states/UTs under National Wetlands Conservation Program and National Lake Conservation Program for the conservation and management of identified wetlands and lakes in the country.
- MoEF&CC is currently implementing the NPCA scheme to conserve wetlands in the country on a cost sharing basis between the Central Government and the respective State Governments.
Sri Lanka – India Passenger ferry service
- A passenger ferry service between India and Sri Lanka is scheduled to commence in April. In a consultation meeting held in Colombo, Minister Nimal Siribala de Silva discussed the Jaffna-Karaikal passenger ferry service.
- Accordingly, it has been announced that the passenger ferry service will be started from Gangesan Port to Karaikal from April 29. In the first phase, 120 passengers will be allowed to travel and each passenger will be allowed to carry 100 kg of goods and the fare will be Rs.9878, said Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva.
Direct flights between Amritsar and Gatwick
- Union Aviation and Steel Minister Shri Jyotiraditya M. inaugurated the direct flight between Amritsar and Gatwick. Cynthia began. Minister, Shri Jyotiraditya M. Cynthia said that this new international connectivity will act as a catalyst for the development of the region.
- As millions of people from Punjab live in the UK, this new service will connect families living in two different countries. Four more routes are planned to be launched in Punjab in the coming days under the RCS UDAN programme. Currently, 20 routes are operational in Punjab.
First Delhi-Dharamsala-Delhi Indigo flight
- The first IndiGo flight between Delhi-Dharamsala-Delhi was inaugurated by Union Minister of State for Information and Civil Aviation General V.K. Singh flagged off the inauguration. Dharamshala Airport connects five districts.
- This IndiGo flight plays an important role in connecting half of the state and some places in Punjab with the rest of the country. The airport infrastructure is expansive and has a runway of 1376 meters.
Coal production to increase by over 15% till February 2023
- The government has initiated several measures to increase domestic coal production in the country. MDO mode, application of production technologies, expansion of new schemes and projects and auctioning of coal blocks to private companies/PSUs. 100% FDI is allowed for commercial mining etc.
- Domestic coal production increased by 8.67% in 2021-22. Domestic coal production in the current year till February 2023 has increased by 15% compared to last year.
Discovery of ancient freezing well (urai kinaru) in Tiruppachetty area
- An ancient frozen well has been discovered in Tiruppachetty area near Tiruppuvanam. A pit was dug in the east side of Tiruppachetty North Kanmai. Then, an ancient ice well-like structure was found.
- Since the area near Keezhadi is Tiruppachetty, the officials of the archeology department in Keezhadi have also been informed about this well.
Hasegawa won Snowboard Slopestyle World Cup
- The Snowboard Slopestyle World Cup competition was held in Maljo province in Switzerland. In this, a 17-year-old young player from Japan Hasekawa won the champion title. The players who participated in the competition showed off their innovative skills by gliding and flying on the snow mountain.
- Hasegawa scored 92 points to take first place in the tournament. Liam Brearley from Canada was second and Sven Thorgren from Sweden was third.
World Women’s Boxing Champion
- The 13th World Women’s Boxing Championship is being held in Delhi. India’s Nikat Zareen and India’s Lovlina Borghoine won gold in this event.
- Indian player Nikat Zareen won the 50 kg weight category. Following this, In the 75 kg category Indian player Lovlina Borgohein won. In this Championship Indian players have won 4 gold medals.
Women’s Premier League (WPL): 2023
- The final of the Women’s Premier League (WPL) 20-over cricket series was held in Mumbai, in which Harman Preet Kaur-led Mumbai Indians took on Delhi. Delhi Capitals scored 131 runs for the loss of 9 wickets at the end of 20 overs.
- Following this, Mumbai scored 134 runs in 19.3 overs for the loss of 3 wickets and won by 7 wickets. With this, Mumbai Indians team won the WPL, 20 over cricket series champion title.
World Theater Day
- The International Theater Institute (ITI) first celebrated World Theater Day in 1961. Since then every year on March 27 World Theater Day has been observed by the international theater community around the world. This day is observed to create awareness about the importance of performing arts.
- The theme of World Theater Day 2023 is: “Theatre and a Culture of Peace.”