Daily Current Affairs 25th February 2023
Indian Submarine docks in Indonesia for the first time
- For the first time an Indian submarine INS Sindhukesari docked in Indonesia, from this, INS Sindhukesari makes history in India-Indonesia relations.
- INS Sindhukesari is a diesel-electric submarine, and it belongs to the Sindhughosh class designed as a part of Project 877.
First MCA Barge Yard 75 (LSAM 7) was launched at Visakhapatnam
- Rear Admiral Sandeep Mehta launched the Missile Cum Ammunition (MCA) Barge, Yard 75 (LSAM 7) at Guttenedevi, launch site of M/s SECON, Visakhapatnam on 24 February 2023.
- Contract for the construction of 08 x MCA Barge was concluded with M/s SECON, Visakhapatnam, and this Barge is being built with a service life of 30 years.
India joined in the Agriculture Innovation Mission for Climate mission
- The US and the United Arab Emirates launched AIM4C in November 2021. Now India has joined the AIM4C.
- The main objective of the initiative is to address hunger and climate change, now the AIM4C initiative has successfully increased these investments to more than 8 billion US dollars globally”.
Smart Agri project was launched in Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu
- ‘Smart Agri’ project launched at Coonoor Upasi Arena, Nilgiris district to improve tea farming with modern technology.
- On behalf of the Tea Board, this scheme is being implemented to benefit more than 10 thousand farmers in 193 villages in the Nilgiri district. Through this scheme, it has been started to provide farmers with insight into soil quality, pest management and all other factors.
Churchgate Railway Station in Mumbai will be renamed as CD Deshmukh
- Recently Maharashtra CM Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena Mumbai’s Churchgate railway station will soon be renamed as ‘Chintamanrao Deshmukh station’.
- Chintaman Dwarkanath Deshmukh, also known as C D Deshmukh, was the first Indian Governor of the Reserve Bank of India, He joined RBI in 1939 and in August 1943, he was appointed as Governor of the RBI and served in that position till 1949.
19th Annual Zone III Conference of Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) held in Sikkim
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla inaugurated the 19th Annual Zone III Conference of CPA India Region at Gangtok, Sikkim on 23 February, 2023. And the conference will conclude on 24 February, 2023.
- Conference to discussed about
(i)Making Parliament and Assembly more accessible to the Public / Citizen
(ii) Drug Abuse and way forward
(iii) Cyber Bullying
Gujarat Budget report 2023-24
- Kanubhai Desai, Finance Minister of Gujarat presented a State Budget of Rs 3.01 lakh crores in the legislative assembly. This is 23% higher than the previous year’s budget.
- Budget allocation are
- 17.76% for agriculture department
- 21.36% for education
- 15.08% for Energy
- 8.71% for transport
- 5.49% on social services
- 8.54% on health and family welfare
- 15.43% on water supply and urban
- 5.89% on social welfare and nutrition
Indian-origin Ajay Banka has been nominated as the President of the World Bank
- US President Joe Biden has nominated the name of Indian-origin Ajay Banga to head the World Bank, and if the World Bank directors confirm his appointment, Ajay Banga will become the first Indian-origin Sikh to head the World Bank.
- Currently, he is the Vice President of General Atlantic Financial Company. Prior to that, he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Mastercard. He was awarded the Padma Shri in 2016.
Comptroller and Auditor General of India has been appointed as a External Auditor of ILO in Geneva
- Comptroller and Auditor General, Girish Chandra Murmu has been selected as External Auditor of the International Labour Organization in Geneva for a four-year term from 2024 to 2027.
- Comptroller and Auditor General will take over from the present External Auditor, Supreme Audit Institution of the Philippines.
- The Comptroller and Auditor General of India is currently the External auditor of
- World Health Organization (2020-2023)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (2020-2025)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (2022-2027)
- Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (2021-2023)
- Inter Parliamentary Union (2020-2022)
Lakshmi Narayanan appointed as Additional Judge of Chennai High Court
- President Drarubathi Murmu has ordered the appointment of Advocate Venkatachari Lakshmi Narayanan as an Additional Judge of the Madras High Court as per the recommendation of the Supreme Court Collegium held on 17th February 2023.
- And he will soon be administered the oath of office by the Chief Justice of Madras High Court D. Raja. With this, the number of judges of Chennai High Court has increased to 58 and the number of vacancies has decreased to 18.
World’s oldest toilet found in China
- Chinese archaeologists found a 2,400-year-old toilet box and pipe were discovered at an archaeological site in the Chinese city of Xi’an.
- Researchers believe it dates back to the Warring States period (424 BC) and the Qin Dynasty (221 BC to 206 BC).
Fossils of brain surgery performed 3000 years ago have been discovered in Israel
- Archeologists found evidence of brain surgery in the skeleton of a person discovered buried beneath the floor of a Bronze-era building.
- The brothers lived between 1550 BC and 1450 BC and their remains were found during an excavation of a tomb in the ancient city of Tel Megiddo.
- The surgery was done by trephination method, a surgical procedure of creating a hole in the skull without affecting underlying tissue.
Science and Technology
China launches Zhongxing-26 satellite in space
- China recently launched the Zhongxing-26 satellite by China Academy of Space Technology at a cost of 333 million USD. It was launched on a Long March 3B rocket.
- The main objective of the satellite is to provide broadband connectivity for aviation and ship-related operations.
Russia launches Soyuz MS23 Spacecraft in Space
- Three astronauts were stranded in space as the Soyuz MS-22 capsule started leaking coolant, so Roscosmos launched an empty SOYUZ spacecraft to bring back the stranded astronauts in space.
- The Soyuz MS23 capsule was launched in automatic mode and it will bring back the astronomers safely.
Entrepreneur of the Year Award – 2022
- The seven-member jury led by former ICICI Bank chairman selected Sajjan Jindal, the chairman and managing director of JSW Group, was awarded as the EY Entrepreneur of the Year (EOY) 2022.
- Other Award winners are
|Category Name||Winners Name|
|Start-up||Mahesh Pratapneni, Co-Founder and Group CEO, MedGenome|
|Financial Services:||V. Vaidyanathan, MD and CEO, IDFC First Bank Ltd|
|Energy, Real Estate & Infrastructure||Irfan Razack, Chairman and MD, Prestige Group|
|Manufacturing||Pradeep Kheruka, Executive Chairman, Borosil Group|
|Services||Pawan Jain, Chairman and Rubal Jain, MD, Safexpress Pvt Ltd|
|Consumer Products & Retail||Ravi Modi, Chairman and MD, Vedant Fashions Ltd (Manyavar)|
|Life Sciences & Healthcare||Samina Hamied, Executive Vice Chairperson, Cipla Ltd|
|Business Transformation||Vivek Kumar Jain, Chairman and MD, Gujarat Fluorochemicals Ltd.|
Australia defeated India in Women’s T20 World cup semi final
- The International Cricket Council is conducting the T20 Women’s World Cup in South Africa. India entered the semi-finals after beating Ireland. The semi-finals match was held between India and Australia.
- In that Match Australia won the Indian team by 5 wickets.
- The Women’s T20 World cup was first organized in England in 2009.