Daily Current Affairs 23rd February 2023
BEL signs MoU with ADA for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) programme
- Bharat Electronics has signed an MoU with Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), DRDO, for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) programme.
- The Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft is a 5th generation, multi-role, all-weather fighter aircraft designed with high survivability and stealth capability.
APEDA, Ministry of Commerce signed MoU with Lulu Group in Dubai
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Lulu Hypermarket LLC for the promotion of millets in GCC countries in Dubai On February 21, 2023.
- From this agreement APEDA is collaborating with Lulu Group, an international retail hypermarket chain with locations in several countries, to promote Indian nutritional millets and value added products in West Asia.
Union Cabinet approves the India and Guyana ASA
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Air Service Agreement that was signed between India and Guayana,the agreement is made to boost international connectivity, and nearly 40% of Guyana’s population is Indians.
- The Air Service Agreement includes several aspects such as flight landing points, the number of flights operated between the countries, seat allotments, etc.
- The Air Service Agreement initiations started in 2016 after India framed its National Civil Aviation Policy.
ICAR develops a new variety of wheat called HD-3385
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research has developed a new variety of wheat which can overcome the challenges arising out due to changes in weather patterns and rising heat levels.
- This new wheat variety named as HD-3385 is amenable to early sowing, escaping the impact of heat spikes and can be harvested before March end.
India signed an agreement with Seychelles on Maritime Cooperation
- The Information Fusion Centre – Indian Ocean Region of India recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding with RCOC (Regional Coordination Operations Centre), Seychelles on maritime cooperation.
- According to the MoU, the countries will work together and improve maritime safety on the SAGAR initiative – Security and Growth for All in the Indian Ocean Region.
First city in America to ban Caste discrimination
- Caste discrimination has been banned in the city of Seattle for the first time in the United States.
- Seattle City Council member Shashma Sawant, an Indian-American of American origin, presented the Seattle City Council Anti-Disparity Act, which was approved by all members and the act came into effect immediately.
Union Minister inaugurates National Horticulture Fair at IIHR, Bengaluru
- Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar today inaugurated the four-day National Horticulture Fair at the Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore.
- This fair is to showcase the latest technologies developed by the Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bengaluru, under the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), for the benefit of productive farmers and other stakeholders.
- Theme: Innovative horticulture for self-reliance
10 days art festival called Taj Mahotsav held in Agra
- Uttar Pradesh higher education minister Yogendra Upadhayaya inaugurated the 10-day festival of art, crafts and culture, Taj Mahotsav, during a colourful function organized at Agra’s Shilpgram.
- The festival has been celebrated since 1992 by the Tourism department. The theme of the event is “Vishwa Bandhutva,” and about 300 artisans from various states and UTs, including Jammu and Kashmir, West Bengal, Bihar, and Himachal Pradesh, are participating in the event.
Delhi’s first woman mayor has been elected
- Aam Aadmi Party’s Shelley Oberoi has won the Delhi Mayoral election defeating BJP’s nominee Rekha Gupta, Ale Mohammad Iqbal has been elected as the new Deputy Mayor of Delhi.
- Shelley Oberoi has been elected as the city’s first woman mayor in 10 years and has secured 150 votes.
A new Foreign coach for the Indian boxing team has been appointed
- The Boxing Federation of India (BFI) has appointed Irish boxing coach Dimitri Dimitruk as the foreign coach of the Indian Boxing Team.
- He will also serve as a coach for the next two years in the Indian team, and for the past 12 years has been an effective coach for the Boxing Association of Ireland and Ireland national junior and youth teams.
A 16th-century hero stone has been discovered in the Dharmapuri district in Tamil Nadu
- A 16th-century hero stone was found during the field survey at Karupaiyanaalli village in Pennagaram taluk of Dharmapuri district.
- This hero stone depicts a warrior with royal armbands holding a large sword rose above his head in his right hand and holding a horse in his left hand.
A Sangam age frozen wells have been discovered on the banks of Tenpenny River in Villupuram district-Tamilnadu
- More than 25 frozen wells dating back to the Sangam period have been found in the field survey carried out by the archaeologists on the banks of the Tenpenny River at Perangyur and Pitakam Kuchipalayam near Villupuram.
- At present the frozen wells found in Barangyur, Pitagam Kuchipalayam Tenpenny River belong to stratified type. These frozen wells are set up to meet the water needs of the people during droughts.
- There are 2 types of cisterns one is plug type cistern and the other is stratified cistern
13th India Digital Awards (IDA)
- The jury of the prestigious India Digital Awards (IDA) instituted under the India Digital Summit (IDS) held the 13th edition of the India Digital Awards ceremony on February 21, 2023,
- The Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) named Nitin Kamat, founder and CEO of Zerodha, as its Digital Person of the Year, while e-grocery startup Zepto bagged the Digital Start-up of the Year award.
ISSF Shooting World Cup 2023
- The 2023 Shooting World Cup is being held in Cairo, Egypt. So far, India has won 3 gold medals and 2 bronze medals and is in first position in the competition.
- In that tournament, India’s Rudrankksh Patil defeated Germany’s Maximilian Ulbricht to win the gold medal in the men’s 10m air rifle event.
- India’s Thilothama Sen won the bronze medal in the 10m women’s air rifle event.
International Open Para Athletics 2023
- The International Open Para Athletics Championships will be held in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates from February 20-22, 2023, with nearly more than 350 athletes from 26 countries participating in the event.
- On the first day of the tournament, India won 11 medals including 5 gold, 2 silver and 4 bronze.
World Encephalitis Day
- World Encephalitis Day is observed every year on the 22nd February since 2013, and has been organized by the Encephalitis Society from the United Kingdom.
- World Encephalitis Day theme of the year is “Shine a light on encephalitis”.