Daily Current Affairs 20th April 2023
Union Agriculture Minister Shri Tomar launched Seed Discovery Portal and Mobile App
- Union Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar on April 19 launched the SATHI (Seed Discovery, Authentication and Holistic Inventory) portal and mobile app designed to address the challenges of seed production, quality.
- It was also developed by NIC in collaboration with the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare on the theme ‘Uttam Beej – Samrit Kisan’.
Domestic passenger traffic has grown by 51.70% in January-March 2023
- According to the Directorate of Civil Aviation Traffic Report for March 2023, the number of domestic air passengers during January-March 2023 is 375.04 lakh. 247.23 lakhs during the period January – March 2022.
- It registered an annual growth of 51.70% and a monthly growth of 21.41%.
|January-March 2019||January – March 2023||Growth|
|354.53 lakhs||375.04 lakhs||20.51 lakh (+5.8%)|
New York Tops the World’s Wealthiest Cities in 2023
- Henley and Partners has released a list of the World’s Richest Cities 2023. America’s New York topped the list as the richest city in the world with the highest number of billionaires. It features 97 cities in North America. It is reported that there are 3 lakh 40 thousand millionaires in this city.
- Following New York, Japan’s capital Tokyo is ranked 2nd and the San Francisco Bay Area is ranked 3rd.
India ranks first in terms of population
- The world population is 804.5 crores. India and China alone account for a third of this population. A report released by the United Nations has said that India’s population will surpass China’s by this year.
- It means that the population of India in 2023 is estimated to be around 142 crores 86 lakhs. At the same time, it is said that the population of China will be 142 crores and 57 lakhs. Accordingly, the United Nations has said that India will become the first in terms of population than China.
Chennai ranks 5th in the list of leading cities for digital ‘money transactions’
- Worldline India, a money transfer service company, has announced that Chennai will become one of the leading digital money transfer cities in the country by 2022.
- In the last 2022, 1.43 crore transactions worth 2.91 lakh crore rupees have been carried out in Chennai. Apart from Chennai, cities like New Delhi, Bengaluru, Mumbai and Pune have also done more digital money transactions.
Science and Technology
A solar eclipse occurs once in 400 years
- A “Ningaloo Hybrid” solar eclipse occurs only once in 400 years. This solar eclipse will occur from 3.34 AM to 6.32 AM on April 20. A solar eclipse occurs when the Sun, Moon and Earth are in the same straight line.
- This phenomenon is not found in India. It is said that only Australia can see the sun eclipse for 62 seconds.
Chief Minister Mukherjee Stalin presented awards to the best handloom weaver-designers.
- “Best Weaver Award” is given every year to encourage handloom weavers in Tamil Nadu.
- Accordingly, the first prize for the best silk weaver award for the year 2022-23 was awarded to the member of Tirupurvanam Silk Co-operative Society V. Rajaletsumi also received the first prize for the best weaver award in the cotton variety to Paramakkudi Pasumbon Muthuramalingadevar. Similarly, Chief Minister M. K. Stalin presented checks and certificates of appreciation to 9 awardees.
A 17th century Tamil inscription has been found at Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu
- Archaeologists from Rajapalayam discovered a 17th century Tamil inscription in an ancient well at Etakkapatti near Sivakasi. It says that Kalkinaru was built by Chinna Sankara Vanniyan and given to the villagers.
- “Many local histories and traditions can be gleaned from these inscriptions”. It is noteworthy that the inscription may date back to the 17th century with inscribed Tamil characters.
Noel Hanna- Mountaineer who has climbed Mount Everest 10 times dies
- Noel Hana a mountaineer from Northern Ireland holds the record for climbing Mount Everest 10 times. He died on the way down from Annapurna peak in Nepal.
Hyderabad opener Abdul Azeem passes away
- Hyderabad’s Abdul Azeem one of the best openers in domestic cricket passed away on 18 April 2023 after undergoing dialysis for some time.
National Coin Week
- National Coin Week is observed from April 16 to 22.
- National Coin Week was created to recognize the hobby of coin collecting practiced by many people around the world.