Daily Current Affairs 19th April 2023
Animal Birth Control Rules 2023 notified by Central Government
- The Central Government notified the Animal Birth Control Rules 2023 as per G.S.R 193(E) under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960. The Supreme Court in various orders has stated that translocation of dogs cannot be allowed.
- As per existing rules, animal birth control program for sterilization and vaccination of stray dogs should be undertaken by respective local bodies and panchayats. Cruelty in the implementation of the ABC program should also be noted. This will help to reduce the number of stray dogs which will solve animal welfare problems.
India’s first Apple Direct Store opens in Mumbai
- Apple’s iPhones and electronic products are gaining popularity worldwide. In the absence of a dedicated showroom for Apple products in India, Apple’s first direct Store is opening in Mumbai.
- The direct Store was inaugurated by Apple CEO Tim Cook. The direct Store is named “Apple BKC”. The second direct Store is slated to open in Delhi on April 25.
39 Integrated Service Centers are to be set up in 15 districts for differently abled persons
- Minister Geetha Jeevan has said that 39 Integrated Service Centers will be started in 15 districts for disabled persons in Tamil Nadu.
- Following this, services such as mobile rehabilitation treatment vehicles, rehabilitation treatment required to control disabilities, provision of assistive devices, identity cards and medical certificates are to be provided.
separate budget for water in Kerala for the first time in the country
- A separate budget for water has been announced in Kerala for the first time in the country to deal with water scarcity during summer. This budget was launched by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- The Chief Minister said that the water budget would be helpful to ensure efficient use of the resource and prevent wastage as the water availability in the state is decreasing.
A 1,300-year-old Vishnu idol has been found at Channapatna in Karnataka
- Historians and Herostones working to digitize stone sculptures and epitaphs discovered a 1,300-year-old Vishnu idol in Kutlur, a small village near Channapatna. Such statues, though not rare, show the historical importance of the place where they are found.
- This idol, found in the premises of the Sri Rama temple in Kudalur, is said to have been worshiped for a long time. It is also noted that this statue may belong to the Pallavar period.
8,000-year-old Neolithic ‘Daniya Aravai’ pits discovered in Madurai district of Tamil Nadu
- 8000-year-old rock-cut Neolithic grinding pits have been discovered in the Gopalsamy hills near Thirumangalam in Madurai district, revealing Neolithic grinding technology.
- Also, stone chips, grinding stones, red pottery, stone axes and iron scraps have been found. The rocks here have more than 20 places of smooth rubbed craters, Ammi-like structure. It may have been used for pounding, grinding grains and cracking nuts.
Rublev battles to win maiden Masters title
- Andrei Rublev of Russia won the men’s singles title at the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament in France. This was Andre’s first Masters title. This is his 14th title in his tennis career.
- 5th place Andre beat 6th place Holkerrun of Denmark in the finals 5-7, 6-2, 7-5.
Asian Champions Hockey Tournament
- The Asian Champions Cup Hockey Tournament will be held in Chennai from 3rd to 12th August 2023. This is the first time the tournament is being held in India.
- Last year 2007 Asia Cup Hockey Tournament was held at May Radhakrishnan Stadium in Chennai. India beat South Korea 7-2 to win the tournament. India has become the champion 3 times in this competition.
India won 24 medals in International Para Badminton Tournament
- The International Para Badminton Tournament was held in Brazil. Indian sportsmen and women have won 24 medals including 6 gold, 7 silver and 11 bronze in this competition.
- Nitesh in men’s singles, Sivarajan/Nithya in mixed doubles, Ditya and Tulsimathi Murukukesan in women’s singles, Manasi Joshi/Tulsimathi in women’s doubles and Pramod Bhagat/Sukant Kadam in men’s doubles won gold medals.
World Liver Day
- World Liver Day is observed every year on 19th April to create awareness about liver related diseases.
- The theme of World Liver Day this year is “Be Vigilant, Do Regular Liver Check-Up, Fatty Liver Can Affect Anyone”.