Daily Current Affairs 18th April 2023
Union Steel Minister Shri Jyotiraditya M. Scindia inaugurated India Steel 2023 in Mumbai.
- Union Ministry of Steel in collaboration with the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry and Chamber of Industry FICCI is organizing India Steel-2023 Conference and International Exhibition on Steel Industry at Goregaon Exhibition Center in Mumbai from April 19 to 21.
- The event aims to bring together industry leaders, policy makers and experts to discuss the latest developments, challenges and opportunities in the steel industry.
The three-day G20 MACS meeting begins in Varanasi
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has organized the G20 meeting of Chief Agricultural Scientists (MACS) on 17-19 April 2023 at Varanasi. 80 foreign delegates from G20 member countries are expected to attend the meeting.
- It is proposed to discuss various issues of agricultural research and development including food security and nutrition, climate, smart agriculture, digital agriculture, public private partnership, and international research on millets and other ancient grains.
Melbourne has become Australia’s largest city after 100 years
- Melbourne overtook Sydney as Australia’s largest city by population after 100 years.
- Following the change in Melbourne’s boundary, the city that includes the area of Melton has a population of 4,875,400 – 18,700 more than Sydney. Melbourne was Australia’s largest city in the late 19th century.
Stamp duty charges increased in Tamil Nadu
- A bill was tabled in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly to amend the stamp duty for deed registration. In this amendment, the fee of Rs 100 stamp paper is changed to Rs 1000 and that of Rs 20 stamp paper is changed to Rs 200.
- Similarly, the stamp paper fee for association rules for companies has been changed from five lakhs to 10 lakhs rupees to 500 rupees and a bill has been filed.
India’s Whole Price Index (WPI) inflation eased to 1.34%
- India’s WPI-based inflation eased to a 29-month low of 1.34% in March 2023.
- The government attributed the decline to falling prices of food items, textiles, non-food items, crude petroleum and natural gas. Notably, headline inflation stood at 3.85% in February and 4.80% in January 2023.
Narayanan Prasad sworn in as Nepal’s Foreign Minister
- Senior Nepali Congress leader Narayan Prasad was sworn in as the new Foreign Minister of Nepal in a function held at the Presidential Palace. President Ram Chandra Boutel administered the oath of office to him.
- A decision was taken to appoint Narayan Prasad, who is also a member of the central committee of the Nepali Congress, as the foreign minister at a meeting of the ruling coalition chaired by Prasanda in Nepal last week. Prior to this, he served as Minister of State for Education and Sports and Minister for Irrigation.
Nandini Gupta won the ‘Miss India 2023’ title
- 19-year-old Nandini Gupta from Rajasthan has won the title of ‘Miss India 2023’. In this, Shreya Poonja from Delhi got the second position and Thonojam Strela Luang from Manipur got the third position.
- Nandini Gupta will represent India in the Miss World pageant to be held in the United Arab Emirates next month.
FedEX CEO Raj Subramaniam has been awarded Pravasi Bharatiya Samman
- Ambassador of India to the US Taranjit Singh presented the “Pravasi Bharatiya Samman” award to FedEX CEO Raj Subramaniam for outstanding citizenship. FedEX CEO Raj Subramaniam’s leadership experience and business acumen have led to FedEx’s success.
- An Indian-American, he was awarded this year’s Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, India’s highest award for Indians of Indian origin and diaspora.
Madurai Jail Psychologist in Tamil Nadu National Award for Preparation of Best Training Manuals for Jail Officers
- A Madurai prison psychologist has been awarded for preparing the best training manuals for prison officers. She prepared 5 manuals like Welfare Officer Basic Training, Jail Doctor Basic Training, Jail Doctor Intermediate Training, Jail Reform Programme, Jail Guards Stress Reduction Training.
- Meanwhile, while people from various states participated in the special event held in Delhi, on behalf of Tamil Nadu, Madurai Central Jail Psychologist Jayanthi also participated and received a medal and an award.
Vedaant won 5 gold medals for India at the 2023 Malaysian Championships
- Vedant has won 5 gold medals in the swimming competition held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and he will participate in the 2026 Olympics.
- Vedant participated in 5 categories of 50m, 100m, 200m, 400m and 1500m and won all 5 categories and won 5 gold medals.
World Heritage Day
- Every year on April 18, people celebrate World Heritage Day, the first World Heritage Day was celebrated in 1983, and since then, it has become an important event to promote awareness about cultural heritage.
- The theme of this year’s World Heritage Day is “Heritage Changes”.