Daily Current Affairs 10th May 2023
India Post signs MoU with CAIT and Tripta Technologies for logistics services.
- India Post has signed an MoU with Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) and Tripta Technologies for postal expansion and logistics services.
- This MoU will benefit small and medium traders as they will be able to use India Post as a logistics service provider across the country. The MoU is considered a significant milestone in taking e-commerce to small towns and rural areas.
The first batch of indigenously manufactured ordnance-capable drones has been delivered to the IAF.
- Tata Advanced Systems Limited (TASL) has delivered the first batch of drones (ALS 50) with vertical take-off and landing capabilities and ammunition carrying capabilities to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The system has been able to accurately hit a designated ground target during trials and has also been proven capable of operating from high altitudes during trials conducted in Ladakh last year.
CSIR organizes a unique mobile exhibition on “Genetic Awareness”
- CSIR-CCMP in collaboration with NCSM-Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technology Museum (VITM), Bangalore has organized a mobile science exhibition called ‘Gene-Health Connect’ as part of the “CSIR-GGYASA” programme.
- For school and college students, World Thalassemia Day is an effort to create awareness about genes and their role in the human body & how they are Systematically Worked.
The Ministry of Culture in collaboration with MyGov has launched a program called ‘Yuva Pratibha – Identifying Singing Talents’.
- With an aim to promote Indian music at the grassroots level by identifying and recognizing new and young singing talents in various genres, MyGov in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture is launching “Yuva Pratibha – Recognition of Singing Talents” on Wednesday 10th May.
- The initial submission for the competition is stated to be open for a period of one and a half months.
Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated “Sittwe Port in Rakhine”, Myanmar
- India’s Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and Myanmar’s Deputy Prime Minister Admiral Din Aung San inaugurated the “Sittwe Port” in Rakhine.
- The Union Minister said that the operation of the Sittwe Port will enhance bilateral and regional trade and contribute to the local economy of Rakhine State. The port terminal has been developed as part of the “Kaladan Multi-modal Transit Transport Project” under the grant-in-aid of the Government of India.
NCGG has started a program to train civil servants from Bangladesh and Maldives
- A “two-week capacity building program” for government employees of Maldives and Bangladesh has started at the National Center for Good Governance (NCGG), Mussoorie. The Hindu noted that 50 government employees from Maldives and 45 government employees from Bangladesh are part of this project.
- NCGG Director Bharat Lal said the project was designed in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s principles of ‘Vasuthaiva family’ and ‘neighboring countries first’.
At the Annual Investment Summit in Abu Dhabi, UAE, the Kerala Pavilion has been inaugurated and Tamil Nadu has been nominated for the Investment Promotion Award.
- A Kerala Pavilion has been inaugurated in Abu Dhabi to promote the Kerala Startup Mission. The Kerala Startup Mission is a framework to support and grow technology startups in the state.
- Tamil Nadu has been nominated for the Investment Promotion Award at a conference held in Abu Dhabi, the results of which will be announced later, by the statement. “Guidance Tamil Nadu” is an investment promotion agency of the Government of Tamil Nadu. It is designed to reach prospective investors and encourage them to invest in Tamil Nadu.
US-based startup Rocket Lab has launched two NASA satellites to track the development of “tropical storms”.
- The rocket last Sunday launched two “Toaster”-sized satellites for NASA and four “CubeSats” designed to provide hourly updates on hurricane and tornado development and improve forecasts.
- This is expected to provide new insights into how tropical storms form and intensify.
Inauguration of “Jan Avshathi Kendra” at Warasikuda, Secunderabad.
- The Union Tourism Minister said that the objective of this “Jan Aushadi Kendra Scheme” is to provide affordable medical services and create self-employment opportunities for the youth.
- The Union Minister said that medicines are available at 50-90 per cent lower prices than the prices available in regular medical shops and there is no compromise in quality even though the medicines are offered at lower prices.
More than 1000 “pot shells” were found in Keeladi.
- More than 1,000 “pot sherds” were found during the recent Phase 9 excavations at Keeladi, suggesting that a “pottery workshop” may have been active here.
- It is reported that all the places excavated in the pit are potsherds and there are only potsherds without any writings or pictures.
Pulitzer Prize for Barbara Kingsolver and Hernan Diaz.
- Barbara Kingsolver and Hernan Diaz have been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. The prize is awarded for Barbara Kingsolver’s “The Modern Dickens Classic David Copperfield” and Hernan Diaz’s “Trust, an innovative tale of wealth and deception set in 1920s New York.”
- This is the first time in the 105-year history of the Pulitzer Prize that two fiction books have been awarded.
Asian Weightlifting Championship 2023 – Ajith Narayana Silver Medal
- Indian weightlifters Ajith Narayana won a silver medal at the 2023 Asian Weightlifting Championships in Jinju, South Korea.
- Ajith Narayana, Achinda Shuli and Bindiyarani Devi participated in their respective weight categories and won silver medals.
Carlos Algaraz won the “Madrid Masters Tennis Tournament”
- Algaraz defeated Jan-Lenard Struff 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in the final round of the “Madrid Masters Tennis Tournament” in the Spanish capital.
- Carlos Algarz has returned to the top of the world rankings by winning his second Madrid Open title.
- Europe Day is celebrated on May 9 to celebrate peace and unity across Europe. Europe Day is observed following the signing of the ‘Schumann Declaration’ on 9 May 1950.
- This year’s Europe Day is celebrated with the theme ‘My Vision for Peace and Prosperity’.