Daily Current Affairs 5th July 2023
A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Food and Agriculture Council of India and the Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone to promote agricultural cooperation.
- The Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone (RAKEZ) and the Indian Food and Agriculture Association (ICFA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to strengthen mutual growth and development in the food and grain agriculture sectors of the UAE and India.
- The MoU aims to facilitate knowledge transfer, technology transfer, trade promotion, investment promotion, Research and development cooperation.
A mobile app has been launched to market products made by women.
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Movement (DAY-NRLM) has launched a mobile application called eSARAS to strengthen marketing support for women-made products of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The app has been launched with the aim of creating and managing the logistics required to bring the online order to the customer’s doorstep through the eSARAS website and eSARAS mobile app.
The 23rd SCO Summit begins under the chairmanship of India.
- In a virtual summit conference held on July 04, the Prime Minister of India noted that terrorism is a threat to regional and global security and peace and that the member states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) must unite to combat this menace.
- Iran, Mongolia and Belarus have been invited as Special observer countries for this 23rd SCO Summit and as per the SCO tradition, Turkmenistan has also been invited as the chief guest.
The Election Commission has launched a website for party financial reporting.
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched a portal in July 2023 that will allow registered political parties to file various “Financial statements”, including contribution statements, audited annual reports and statements related to election expenditure.
- ECI said in a statement that it has taken this decision with the twin objectives of overcoming difficulties in filing physical returns and ensuring timely filing in a standardized format.
The UAE plans to establish a “New investment ministry” to boost global economic competitiveness.
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on July 03 announced the establishment of a New Ministry of Investment to strengthen and improve the country’s investment vision and improve its competitiveness in the global market.
- It is notable that in July 2023, the UAE Cabinet not only approved the establishment of the Ministry of Investment, but also appointed Mohamed Hassan Al Suwaidi as the Minister of the Department. The Ministry will coordinate with relevant departments and authorities to support the development of the country’s business objectives and investment policies, it said.
UAE-India Economic Summit Begins
- The UAE-India Economic Summit was held on July 3, 2023 at the ATGM Stadium,Al Maryah Island, Abu Dhabi (UAE).
- The theme of the conference is “Cultivating Synergies – Linking Balkan and Tiger Economies”. Notably, the summit featured engaging panel discussions on topics such as start-ups, their sustainability, green energy and capital markets.
The G20 Research and Innovation Summit kicks off in Mumbai.
- The G-20 Research and Innovation Initiative Gathering (RIIG) summit will begin on July 04 in Mumbai under the chairmanship of Dr Srivari Chandrasekhar, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- It is notable that this year with the theme “Research and Innovation for an Equitable Society” a total of 5 meetings have been hosted by India in 2023.
PM Modi inaugurates Sai Hira Global Conference Centre.
- Prime Minister Modi inaugurated the Sai Hira Global Conference Center in Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh on July 04, 2023.
- Endowed by philanthropist Shri Ryuko Hira, the conference center is a testament to the vision to further promote cultural exchange, spirituality and global harmony, the Prime Minister of India said.
Gurugram Metro Station has been renamed as Millennium City Centre.
- Hours after announcing that the country’s financial and technology hub Huda City Center on Delhi Metro’s Yellow Line would be renamed Gurugram City Centre, the DMRC on July 02 issued a statement renaming it Millennium City Centre.
- A senior DMRC official mentioned that the process of changing the name in all official documents, notifications and signatures has been initiated and the work will be completed gradually.
The Union Minister laid the foundation stone for 11 highway projects in Rajasthan.
- Union Road and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated 11 highway projects worth Rs 5,600 crore at Pratapgarh in Rajasthan on July 4.
- Four projects with an investment of Rs 3,700 crore were inaugurated on the occasion and at the same time foundation stones were laid for seven projects worth around Rs 1,900 crore.
11th World Tamil Research Conference begins in Chennai.
- The 11th World Tamil Research Conference jointly organized by the International Tamil Research Forum (IATR) and the Chennai Institute of Asian Studies is scheduled to be held in Chennai on July 7, 8 and 9. The conference will be inaugurated by former minister M. P. Saminathan on July 07.
- The main objective of this conference is to create awareness among the youth about Tamil language, Tamil culture, literature, Tamil culture and civilization. Also, Tamil scholars from 20 countries including USA, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia will participate in this conference according to the President of World Tamil Research Forum.
National Conference on Buyers and Sellers of Agricultural Commodities begins in Agartala.
- Tripura Chief Minister Dr. Manik Saha on July 03 inaugurated a one-day National Conference on “Buyers and Sellers of Agricultural Commodities” in Agartala, the state capital of Tripura.
- The State Department of Horticulture and Soil Conservation and APEDA jointly organized the conference and exhibition. The conference aims to discuss the creation of mechanisms to boost the economy of farmers with resources such as agriculture and natural gas.
50 lower courts in Odisha have ‘paperless’ status.
- At least nearly 50 courts in Odisha have gone ‘paperless’ or digital on July 3, 2023.
- This has taken the total number of paperless courts in the state to 84 so far. Also, the concept of ‘Paperless Courts in the State’ has been introduced and implemented from September 2022.
Pottery shells inscribed with “Tamili characters” have been discovered during the ongoing excavations on the banks of the Tamiraparani River in Tamilnadu.
- A biological mound is found in the Nambiath Plateau near Thulukkapatti in Tirunelveli district. During the excavation conducted in it, a pottery vessel inscribed with Tamili characters has been found.
- It is notable that among the potsherds that have been found, there are potsherds with the Tamil inscriptions of ‘Theeeya’, ‘Tisa’ and ‘Kuvira(n)’.
Armand Duplantis wins the Diamond League tournament.
- Pole vault star Armand Duplantis was crowned champion in a rain-affected Diamond League event in Stockholm.
- He hit the target of 6.05m, which was good enough to comfortably beat Ernest Obiena by 23cm. And it is notable that he has won the “Mondo” 6m category for the fourth time in five summers.
India doubles its share in global trade services exports – World Bank and WTO report
- India’s share of world trade services exports has doubled from 2 per cent in 2005 to 4.4 per cent in the last financial year (2022), the World Bank and World Trade Organization (WTO) said in its latest report.
- A recent report by the World Bank and the World Trade Organization (WTO) titled ‘Trade in Services for Development’ has mentioned this and from 2009 to 2019, about 3.5 million foreign patients have been provided with this medical assistance, the study also mentioned.
USA Independence Day 2023
- America’s Independence Day is celebrated on the Fourth of July to pay tribute to the country’s democratic ideals and to commemorate America’s independence from British rule.
- On July 4, 1776, the British Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence and declared the thirteen American colonies a new nation or country.