Daily Current Affairs 3rd June 2023
PM SVANidhi Mobile App Launched.
- Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched a mobile app called PM SVANidhi to “Simplify the Loan application process for street vendors and provide them with necessary information regarding certain schemes”.
- The app aims to “instill self-employment among street vendors and restore their self-confidence. The project is an effort to restore the livelihood of street vendors affected by the Covid-19 pandemic,” it said.
Seven agreements between “India and Nepal” to promote various integrated cooperation are signed.
- On June 1, India and Nepal signed seven agreements to cooperate in several areas, including “trade and commerce, hydropower projects, cross-border petroleum pipelines, development of integrated checkposts and payment mechanisms”.
- The Prime Minister of Nepal said that these agreements will be a milestone in the development of India-Nepal relations in the fields of “Economy, Education, Energy, country’s infrastructure and people-to-people relations”.
The Union Minister for Jal Shakti has launched a Unified registration portal called GOBARdhan.
- Union Minister for Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has launched a Unified registration portal for GOBARdhan to assess investment and participation in Natural Gas and CBG sector at India level.
- It will act as a web repository to streamline the process of setting up CBG/Natural Gas plants in India. Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources Dhan (GOBARdhan) is a major development initiative of the Government of India, which aims to develop a “waste-to-wealth approach based on a whole-of-government approach to improve the overall economy of the country”.
NHPC and VUCL signed MoU for “Development of Hydropower project” in Nepal.
- India’s state-owned NHPC and Nepal’s Vidhyut Utpadan Company Limited (VUCL) on June 1 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the development of “Phukot Karnali Hydropower Project (480MW) in Nepal”.
- It is expected to utilize the current of the Karnali River for power generation and integrate the generated electricity into Nepal’s power system. The agreement states that the installed capacity of the project will be 480 MW and the average annual generation will be around 2448 GW.
NTPC and UPRVUNL plan to collaborate on development of “Renewable Energy Parks and Projects”.
- NTPC Green Energy Limited(NGEL) and UPRVUNL have signed an MoU to work together to set up solar projects on Rihant Reservoir and other water bodies, development of solar PV projects dedicated to solarization of Ayodhya city and renewable energy parks.
- It is reported that through this scheme, renewable energy resources can be used more for the development of the country and it can reduce the import of other energy resources from other countries.
The UAE has won the presidency of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- UAE National Meteorological Center (NMC) Director General Dr. Abdullah Al Mandous has been elected as the new President of the WTO for a four-year term from 2023 to 2027.
- It is significant that this is the first time that “a GCC meteorologist from Asia” and an Arab meteorologist have been appointed as the head of WMO.
IPS Officer “Rajeev Singh” from Tripura Bureau (CADRE) sworn in as DGP, Manipur State.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of inter-cadre Mr. Rajeev Singh, who held the charge of IG and CRPF, as the “Deputation” DGP of Manipur.
- He succeeds the incumbent P. Doungel. It has been reported that he will quickly stop the tragic incidents happening in Manipur and establish the status quo.
Sanjay takes over as Managing Director of MRPL.
- As per the recent order issued by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Sanjay Verma has taken charge as the Managing Director of Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL).
- It is notable that Sanjay is on the refining team of MRPL from June 2020.
IMD DG Mrutyunjay Mohapatra selected as Vice President of World Meteorological Organization(WMO).
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) Director General Mrutyunjay Mohapatra was elected as one of the Vice-Presidents of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) on June 1.
- It is notable that Odisha-based Mohapatra, who has been called “Cyclone Man of India”, has been heading the country’s apex meteorological office since 2019.
Celeste Saulo of Argentina has been appointed as the first woman president in the history of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- Argentina’s Celeste Saulo has been appointed as the “First woman Secretary-General” of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- Saulo has won the “UN Climate and Meteorological Organization” elections in Geneva by a landslide in the Congress. Saulo has served as director of Argentina’s “National Meteorological Service” since 2014.
Debi Prasad takes charge as General Manager of Chittaranjan Locomotive Works(CLW).
- Indian Railways electrical engineer Debi Prasad Dash has officially taken charge as General Manager of Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW) on June 1.
- Notably, he played a key role in the design and development of various “Advanced Railway Technologies”.
India have won the Junior Hockey Asia Cup for the fourth time.
- The Indian hockey team beat Pakistan 2-1 in the final of the 2023 Men’s Junior Asia Cup at the Sultan Qaboos Youth Complex in Salalah, Oman on the night of June 1.
- By winning this year, the Indian team has achieved the status of “most successful nation” in the history of Men’s Junior Asia Cup.
Indian team wins the “IDCA TR-Nation ODI 2023” tournament for the deaf.
- India beat Bangladesh by 166 runs in the 2023 IDCA TR-Nation ODI Deaf International.
- The competition is held from “April 29 to May 5”. The IDCA TR-Nation ODI tournament is being played with an aim “to promote the game of cricket among the deaf sportsmen of the country and provide them with a better platform”.
Bronze for India’s Manjeet in UWW Ranking Series Wrestling.
- India’s Manjeet won bronze in the Men’s 55kg category at the UWW Ranking Series Wrestling Tournament held on June 1.
- The Indian defeated Yersin Abier of Kazakhstan 14-9 via VPO1 to win the bronze.
World Bicycle Day 2023
- World Bicycle Day is observed on June 3 to promote among people the many benefits of cycling as a sustainable mode of transportation, a source of physical strength and an effective means of fostering social harmony.
- The day was established by the United Nations (UN) General Assembly on “April 12, 2018”. “Riding together for a sustainable future” is the theme of this year’s World Bicycle Day.