Daily Current Affairs 24th May 2023
IIM Kozhikode is ranked 72nd among the top-75 institutions globally.
- In the Financial Times (FT) rankings published on May 22, IIM Kozhikode has been ranked 72nd among the top 75 registered “Global Management Skills Providers”.
- Notably, three IIMs and four Indian B-schools feature in the list. It is about highlighting the quality of Indian education to the world.
A joint development agreement has been signed to increase the production of indigenous drones in India.
- Garuda Aerospace and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) subsidiary Naini Aerospace on May 22 signed a joint development agreement to boost domestic Drones production in India.
- According to the chairman of Garuda Company, they are planning to book more than 7,000 drones worth Rs 4.5 lakh each through this contract.
The Union Home Minister inaugurated the “Janganana Bhawan” (Census Building).
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated the “Janganana Bhawan” (Census Building) in New Delhi on May 23.
- Union Minister Amit Shah also launched an upgraded SRS mobile application for geofencing and a web portal for birth and death registration on the occasion. He has also published an Article on Census of India from 1981 to present.
India-US project to promote educational growth and capacity building.
- The Ministry of Education and the US State Department jointly launched the India-US Working Group on Education Development and Capacity Building on May 22 virtually.
- Through this cooperation, it aims to enhance cooperation between the two countries in the field of education development and skill development.
Sri Bhagwanth Khuba is scheduled to inaugurate the International Conference on Chemicals and Petrochemicals on May 24 in New Delhi.
- The Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals has organized this international conference for the global business community in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to focus on the “Chemicals & Petrochemical” sector on May 24 in New Delhi.
- The conference aims to find sustainable solutions to various issues faced by the industry and discuss ways to promote sustainable development in the chemical and petrochemical sector.
International Electric Vehicle Expo 2023
- The 2nd edition of the International Electric Vehicle Expo-2023 is all set to commence on May 26, 2023 at the Trade Center in Nungambakkam, Chennai. The exhibition runs from May 26 to May 28.
- The project aims to create an understanding of the vast opportunities for electric vehicle development in India and how to address potential challenges.
Prime Minister Modi has released ‘Thirukkural’ translated into “Tok Pisin” language
- To bring Indian thought and culture closer to the people of the South West Pacific, Prime Minister Modi along with Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marapu released the Tamil classic ‘Thirukkural’ on May 22 in the “Tok Pisin” language.
- The book was co-authored by Suba Saseendran and Governor Saseendran Muthuvel of New Britain Province.
A suburb of Sydney, Australia is named ‘Little India’.
- Prime Minister Modi and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese officially renamed a street in Australia as “Little India” during a special community event in Sydney on May 23.
- The Prime Minister said that the friendship between India and Australia has improved and become more special through this event.
Gujarat-born “Yakub Patel” sworn in as Mayor of Preston, England.
- A person named “Yakub Patel” born in Gujarat has been elected as the Mayor of Preston in Lancashire County, England.
- Born in Baruch, Gujarat, he moved to the UK after graduating from the University of Baroda in 1976 and was elected as a councilor. He also holds the status of “First Muslim Councillor” in the history of Preston City Council.
AFSPA has been announced to be withdrawn across Assam by November.
- Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma announced on May 22 that the “Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA)” would be scrapped from the state of Assam by November.
- Assam Police will be constituted in place of the Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) after its withdrawal, he said.
Science and Technology
Chandrayaan-3 will be launched on July 12.
- ISRO officials have said that the launch of Chandrayaan-3, ISRO’s third lunar mission, will take place on July 12.
- Chandrayaan 3 spacecraft will reach the Moon’s South Pole on August 23, they said.
The Union government announces discontinuation of 2 awards for excellence in Hindi language.
- The Union Government on May 22 announced the discontinuation of 2 awards for excellence in Hindi language. This notification has been issued by the Union Ministry of Higher Education.
- The Union government has announced that it will scrap the ‘Siksa Puraskar’ award for best Hindi writers since 1992 and the ‘Hindidar Bashi Hindi Lekak Puraskar’, which was given to encourage non-Hindi speaking people to write in Hindi.
Men’s Javelin Rankings – Neeraj Chopra tops.
- Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra has moved to the top spot in the world men’s javelin rankings on May 22, 2023.
- Neeraj has recently become the new World No. 1 javelin thrower with a total of 1455 points, overtaking world champion Anderson Peters of Grenada who was in second place with 1433 points.
The Squash World Cup 2023 is scheduled to begin on June 13 in Chennai.
- The Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (SDAT) and the World Squash Federation (WSF) officially announced on May 22 that the Squash World Cup will be held from June 13 to 17 at the “Indian Academy of Squash & Triathlon” (ISTA).
- Egypt, South Africa, Australia, Colombia, Hong Kong, Japan and Malaysia are the 8 countries that are going to participate in this competition.
Khelo India University Games starts on 23rd May in Uttar Pradesh.
- The 3rd Khelo India University Games featuring the Kabaddi tournament was held in Uttar Pradesh’s Gautam Budh Nagar district on the evening of May 23.
- It has been informed that the first Kabaddi League matches will be held from 4:00 pm and 15 teams from various universities will participate in it.
World Turtle Day 2023
- The day is celebrated every year on May 23 to Raise awareness about the need to conserve turtles and their endangered habitats.
- This year’s theme is ‘I Love Turtles’.