Daily Current Affairs 20th May 2023
The new Parliament building will be inaugurated on May 28.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to inaugurate the “newly constructed Parliament building” in New Delhi on May 28, 2023.
- Considering the future needs, the newly constructed Parliament building has been designed to seat 888 members of the Lok Sabha and 300 members of the Rajya Sabha, while the existing Parliament building has a seating capacity of 543 members in the Lok Sabha and 250 members in the Rajya Sabha. The advantage of this building is that it can seat up to 1280 MP’s in case the joint session of the two houses is held only in the “Lok Sabha Chamber”.
- India has launched “Operation Karuna” to provide “Humanitarian aid to people affected by Cyclone Mocha” in Myanmar.
- Accordingly, three ships of the Indian Navy carrying relief supplies arrived in Yangon, Myanmar on 18th May, and the 4th ship will reach Myanmar on 19th May, by the Indian government Statement.
A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Government of India and the Government of Nepal to improve the “Quality of life of the people in Nepal”.
- India and Nepal signed MoU’s on 18th May to undertake two social development projects in Nepal under the grant-in-aid of the Government of India worth a total of Rs 80.33 million.
- These two projects aim to provide better health and education facilities to the people of Nepal and improve the quality of life of the people in Nepal.
The country’s First “8-lane expressway” is coming up between New Delhi and Haryana.
- The “Dwarka elevated eight-lane expressway” works, which are being carried out to control traffic in New Delhi, will be completed by April 2024, by the central government statement.
- This high-level expressway between New Delhi and Gurugram, Haryana forms part of the Golden Quadrilateral connecting New Delhi, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
Wings India 2024
- The Central Government has announced that “Asia’s largest civil aviation exhibition “Wings India 2024” will be held from 18th to 21st January 2024 at “Begumpet Airport”, Hyderabad, India.
- “Connecting the World: Setting the Stage for India by 2047” is the theme of the event.
India’s First commercial passenger plane using “sustainable jet fuel” successfully tested.
- Aiming to “decarbonize” the aviation industry, the country’s “first commercial passenger plane” using indigenously produced “sustainable aviation fuel (SAF)” has successfully flown and tested on May 19.
- A mixed-fuel “SAF” AirAsia flight operated by Indian Oil in partnership with a private company flew from Pune to Delhi.
7th Nepal Chamber Expo 2023 – Commencement in Kathmandu
- The 7th Nepal Chamber Expo 2023 has started on 18th May at “Bhrikutimandap” in Kathmandu and will continue till 22nd May.
- The exhibition will encourage the domestic business community to explore potential competitive capabilities with the foreign business community, by the Nepal Chamber of Commerce Statement.
UK imposes economic sanctions on Russia.
- The United Kingdom (UK) has imposed a ban on Russian military-industrial Organization and imports of “Metals and Diamonds” ahead of the G7 meeting in Japan.
- The sanctions would include those involved in efforts to weaken the impact of these sanctions and those who actively aid Russia. The G7 countries are expected to impose similar sanctions on Russia, by the UK Statement.
Illam thedi Prasadham-Tamil Nadu Govt New Scheme
- In Tamil Nadu, a scheme to send temple offerings to devotees’ homes through the “postal” was launched on May 18.
- In the first phase of the scheme, the Tamil Nadu government has announced that offerings will be sent to homes in “48 first-class temples” through post.
KV Viswanathan and Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra appointed as Supreme Court Judges.
- President Droupadi Murmu administered the oath of office on May 19 to senior advocate KV Viswanathan and Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra as judges of the Supreme Court.
- After the Retirement of Justices Dinesh Maheshwari and Justice MR Shah, both of them have been appointed as judges of the Supreme Court.
Discovery of Nayak Period Hero Stone with Inscription
- A Hero stone with an inscription of the Nayak period has been found in the excavations at Sathangudi next to Tirumangalam.
- The study revealed that this Hero stone is carved with a height of 3 feet and a width of 2 feet.
A museum is set up to display “Artifacts of Porunai Excavation”.
- On May 18, Chief Minister Stalin laid the foundation stone for a museum at Tirunelveli(Tamil Nadu) that will display the artifacts of the Porunai excavations.
- The archeology department said the museum will display “artifacts found during archaeological excavations” at Adichanallur, Korkai and Sivakalai.
A “ruined well of Vijayanagara period” has been discovered in the forest called “Nallamala”.
- A “ruined well of Vijayanagara period” was discovered on May 18 in the “Nallamala” forest area of Andhra Pradesh’s Kadapa district.
- Excavations have revealed that the well, then known as “Veerla Paduva Pavi”, was dug during the reign of Satasiva Devaraya in the 16th century.
“Tamilnattin panpattu Marabugal – Pudukkottai vattaaram”Book Was released.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. K. Stalin released the book “Tamilnattin panpattu Marabugal – Pudukkottai vattaaram “ based on archaeological evidence found in Pudukottai region.
- Professor K.Rajan, Professor V.P.Yadish Kumar, Muthukumar, Baldirai jointly wrote this book in two volumes.
SBI has emerged as the second most profitable company in India.
- SBI has emerged as the country’s second most profitable bank after India’s largest lender Reliance.
- SBI has crossed 41 per cent growth in revenue in the last three years, making it the second most profitable company in FY23.
World Bee Day
- World Bee Day is observed every year on May 20 to raise awareness of the threats facing bees, the importance of pollination and their contribution to sustainable development.
- Theme for 2023: “Bee engaged in pollinator-friendly agricultural production”