Daily Current Affairs 1st June 2023
New Art Gallery inauguration on the Liberation War at the Indian Cultural Center in Dhaka.
- A new gallery dedicated to the Bangladesh Liberation War 1971 was inaugurated on May 30 at the Cultural Center of the Indian High Commission in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- It is said to reflect India’s role in winning the 1971 war between East Pakistan and West Pakistan that led to the formation of the new nation of Bangladesh.
“General government deficit to be reduced to 9.4% of GDP by 2022-2023 – RBI report.
- The Reserve Bank of India in its 2022-23 annual report said that the “general government deficit and borrowings have been reduced to 9.4 percent and 86.5 percent of GDP for 2022 and 2023 respectively.”
- This value has been reduced to this value in 2020-2021 from a peak of 13.1 per cent and 89.4 per cent respectively.
Plan to hold India-EU connectivity summit in Meghalaya.
- The EU Delegation to India and the Asian Association are jointly planning to hold an “India-EU Connectivity Summit” in Meghalaya on June. It will be held over two days.
- It is to explore and develop the possibilities of increasing connectivity investments in India’s North Eastern states and India’s neighboring countries of Bhutan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
The Union Cabinet has approved a Rs 1 lakh crore scheme to increase “grain storage capacity”.
- The Union Cabinet recently approved a Rs 1 lakh crore scheme to increase grain storage capacity in the cooperative sector.
- The central government has said that the project will support integrated waste management at the city level and climate-related reform measures at the state level and strengthen institutions at the national level.
“National Poson Week” begins in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka’s popular Poson festival, National Poson Week begins on May 31. The festival will be held till June 6.
- The festival is popularly celebrated to commemorate the introduction of Buddhism to Sri Lanka in 236 BC by Arahat Mahinda, son of the Mauryan emperor Ashoka. The festival is celebrated around the holy cities of Mihinthalaya, Anuradhapura and Thanthirimala.
The UAE has announced its 13-year space mission to explore the asteroid belt.
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has launched a space mission program to “explore a major asteroid orbit between the planets Mars and Jupiter.
- Named MBR EXPLORER, the UAE’s ambitious project is slated to launch in “March 2028”. The main objective of the project is to unravel the mysteries of our solar system’s formation and to find clues about the mystery that may be hidden in asteroid orbits.
Scheme to provide Rs 6,000 per annum to Maharashtra farmers.
- The Maharashtra Cabinet has approved a new Financial scheme to “provide Rs 6,000 per annum to over one crore farmers” in the state.
- The scheme named “Namo Shetkari Sanman Yojana (NSSY)” was approved in the Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on May 30.
‘Odisha for AI’ & ‘AI for Youth’ initiative launched in Odisha.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched initiatives ‘Odisha for AI’ & ‘AI for Youth’ on 30th May.
- The Odisha government has tied up with technology giant Intel for this initiative. The Odisha government has announced that the first phase of this initiative will be implemented in Bhubaneswar, Ghatta and Puri.
Maharashtra Cabinet approves implementation of “Gender Inclusive Tourism Policy”.
- The Maharashtra Cabinet has approved the implementation of a gender inclusive tourism policy known as ‘Aai’ under the ‘Ajati Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ scheme to give prominence to women in the tourism sector.
- Meanwhile, the government has also approved the launch of “bike-taxi services for women” to highlight this policy at some tourist spots in the state.
The first Indian-origin Lord Mayor of Birmingham was appointed.
- British Councilor “Chaman Lal” is notable for being the “first British-Indian Sikh” to be sworn in as Lord Mayor of Birmingham.
- Born in Hoshiarpur, Punjab, he migrated to England in 1964 and joined politics and became a councilor.
Angshumali was appointed as India’s representative to the Global Civil Aviation Organization.
- Angshumali Rastogi, one of India’s senior officials, was on May 30 appointed as “India’s representative to the Council of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in Montreal, Canada”.
- It is reported that this is among the 12 appointments to fill various foreign posts by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Indian Prime Minister Modi.
RINL has been awarded the prestigious “Greentech Safety Award 2023”.
- In recognition of its outstanding contribution to improving workplace safety, RINL has received the prestigious “Greentech Safety Award 2023” under the “Safety Excellence category” for the year 2022-23.
- The award was received on behalf of RINL by Sri A K Bagchi, Additional Director-in-Charge of the company from former Governor of Assam, Sri Jagdish Mukhi at the 21st Annual Greentech Awards on May 30.
Bronze medal for India at “Bahnen-Tourney 2023” Cycling Event.
- Indian cyclist “Esow Alben” won the bronze medal under Men’s category at UCI Class 1 Event-Final “Bahnen-Tournee 2023” cycling competition held at Dudenhofen, Germany.
- He also achieved the honor of being the “First Indian to win a medal in the World Cycling Championship” with this Achievement.
Pune University beat Osmania University to win its first gold medal in women’s tennis.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University won its first gold medal by defeating Osmania University 2-0 in the women’s tennis tournament at the Ekana International Tennis Stadium in Lucknow.
- Meanwhile, “Jain University Women’s Tennis Players beat Madras University 2-0” to win the bronze medal.
World Milk Day 2023
- World Milk Day is observed every year on June 1 to focus on milk, adopt healthy diets, and raise awareness about the “role of milk and milk products” in supporting livelihoods and communities.
- “Enjoy Dairy” is the theme for this year.