Daily Current Affairs 1st April 2023
Central government contract with domestic companies for patrol warships
- The Ministry of Defense has signed contracts worth Rs 19,600 crore with Indian shipyards for the procurement of 11 modern coastal patrol vehicles and 6 modern missile vehicles for the Indian Navy.
- Goa Shipbuilding Company (GSL) and Garden Reach Shipbuilding Company (GRSE) with Rs. 9,781 crores for the purchase of 11 next-generation deep-sea patrol vessels and with Cochin Shipbuilding Company (CSL) for Rs. 9,805 crores worth the contract to design Next Generation Missile Ships (NGME).
NTPC registers highest ever power generation of 400 BU
- NTPC Ltd India’s largest integrated power producer reported a high of 400 BU of power in FY23, a growth of 10.80% over the previous year.
- NTPC has achieved a growth of 23.2 million metric tonnes (MMT) in coal production from its mines. This is a strong growth of 65% compared to the previous year. In FY 23, NTPC recorded a growth of 24.24% in its non-fossil portfolio.
National Logistics Portal (Maritime) ‘Sagar-Sethu’ mobile app launched by Shri Sarbananda Sono.
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sri Sarbananda Sonowal launched the National Logistics Portal (Maritime) ‘Sagar-Sethu’ app. The app is designed for deliveries with features like login module, service catalog, common application form, letter of credit, bank guarantee, certificate and track & trace.
- It also enables digital transactions for charges required for import and export clearance process like container terminal charges, shipping line charges, transit charges etc.
Tamil Nadu tops the postal savings scheme
- There are 11,858 Post Offices operating at State, District and City level in Tamil Nadu. These Post Offices have various types of savings accounts. Tamil Nadu ranks first in India by opening 3 crore accounts in Postal Savings Scheme.
- Due to the awareness created by the postal department, more accounts have been opened in post offices. Following this, Tamil Nadu is at the top in the country in terms of the number of accounts opened.
The 2nd Energy Transitions Working Group (ETWG) meeting will be held in Gujarat
- The 2nd Energy Transitions Working Group (ETWG) meeting under India’s G20 Presidency is scheduled to be held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The meeting is expected to review key aspects of the previous ETWG meeting and help take the discussions forward and lead to consensus building on key areas. The 2nd ETWG meeting is being held as a three sided event.
The Bombay High Court has mentioned that transgenders can get relief under the Domestic Violence Act.
- The Bombay High Court has noted that transgender people who identify as female can seek relief under the Domestic Violence Act after undergoing gender reassignment surgery.
- The Act aims to protect the rights of women who are victims of violence. The ruling comes in response to a transgender woman’s domestic violence case against her estranged husband.
Scheme to provide Rs.2500 per month to unemployed educated youth in Chhattisgarh state
- The government of Chhattisgarh has announced a monthly stipend of Rs.2500 to unemployed educated youth. This scholarship will be awarded to the youth from April 1, 2023.
- According to the notification issued by the state government, those who have passed class 12 and are unemployed are eligible for this monthly stipend of Rs.2500 and the family income per annum is Rs. Only those with less than 2.5 lakhs are eligible for this scheme.
Ajay Banka becomes the President of the World Bank
- February, US President Joe Biden nominated Indian-American Ajay Banga to head the World Bank as World Bank President David Malpass stepped down.
- As the deadline for filing nominations for the post of World Bank President has ended, so far only one nomination has come to contest for the post of World Bank President. No one has contested. Hence, Ajay Banka has been selected for this post without opposition.
International Day of Transgender Visibility
- Transgender Day of Visibility is observed as an international event on March 31. It is dedicated to recognizing the resilience and achievements of transgender people.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the struggles faced by transgender people.