Daily Current Affairs 19th July 2023
Tamil Nadu tops Export Preparedness Index 2022 – Niti Aayog latest report
- According to Niti Aayog’s Export Preparedness Index 2022 published in July 2023, Tamil Nadu has topped the “Coastal States Category”, overtaking Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- The index is developed based on operational efficiency and export capacity of states to assess their preparedness and it is notable that the report of the Niti Aayog was released by its Chief Executive Officer B. V. R. Subrahmanyam. Following Tamil Nadu(80.89) in this ranking are Maharashtra(78.20), Karnataka(76.36), Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
The Union Home Minister launched the “CRCS-Sahara Refund” website of Sahara Group.
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah launched the “CRCS-Sahara Refund Portal” on July 18 in New Delhi. This portal has been developed with the aim of getting more than 10 crore shareholders of Sahara Group their money back.
- The Union Home Minister said that in the first phase, 4 crore shareholders are eligible to receive up to Rs 10,000 and once this initiative is successful, further decisions will be taken to address the demands of the shareholders who are stuck with a lot of money in the cooperative societies of the group.
The IEA has published its medium-term market supply report “Oil 2023”.
- The International Energy Agency (IEA) in collaboration with the Petroleum Planning and Analysis Organization (PPAC) has released a medium-term market sales report titled “Oil 2023” under the MoP and NG.
- “India’s energy demand is growing much faster than other major economies” and the same trend is expected to continue. IEA Institute Secretary Shri Pankaj Jain said that growth in all sectors will be driven by favorable demographics supported by industrialization and urbanization.
The Indian Army and Ashok Leyland have signed contracts worth Rs.800 crore.
- The Indian Army has on July 17 entered into several contracts with commercial vehicle manufacturer Ashok Leyland for procurement of Field Artillery Tractor (FAT 4×4) and Gun Towing Vehicle (GTV 6×6).
- The deal, worth Rs 800 crore, sees the FAT 4×4 and GTV 6×6 as the mainstays. These are “Special Vehicles” used to tow light and medium guns, the agency said.
The Prime Minister of India inaugurated the new terminal complex of Port Blair Airport.
- Prime Minister Modi inaugurated the new integrated terminal complex of Veer Savarkar International Airport in Port Blair, the capital of Andaman and Nicobar on July 18.
- Prime Minister Modi said at the inauguration that the new complex is designed to “Enhance ease of travel, improve ease of doing business and improve connectivity”.
PNB Bank has launched a scheme “PNB PALAASH” for environmental sustainability management.
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) on July 17 launched a flagship initiative “PNB Palash” as its environmental initiative for sustainable management of environment.
- The process is expected to take about Eight months. The campaign will lead to cost, savings and operational efficiencies for environmental protection through measures such as energy and waste management, resource conservation, paper reduction, streamlined digital processes, PNB said in its statement.
Union Minister inaugurates “Global Maritime India Summit 2023” in Mumbai.
- Ports and Shipping Minister Sarbananda Sonowal is set to inaugurate the third edition of the prestigious “Global India Maritime Summit” in 2023, the Union government said.
- The conference is scheduled to be held from October 17 to 19. The conference is aimed at creating new investment opportunities, promoting ease-of-doing business and enhancing trade between countries through cooperation in knowledge and technology.
An all-women meter testing lab has been inaugurated in Odisha.
- To empower Odisha’s local women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) field, Tata Power Southern Odisha Distributing Company (TPSODL) has set up a state-of-the-art all-women meter test in the state.
- The company said that the meter testing operations at this laboratory in Odisha’s Berhampur will be manned by women and will test 35,000-45,000 meters annually. It is also significant that TPSODL is a joint venture between Tata Power and Odisha State Government.
Chachin Grazing festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm by local pastoralists in Arunachal state.
- Chachin grazing festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm by the local herdsmen in Tawang, a region near the Pumla Pass in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The two-day festival was enthusiastically attended by pastoralists from all over Tawang and surrounding areas. This festival is very well celebrated by bringing the culture of the state to the people all over the country.
NTPC has won the ET HR World Future Skills Award 2023.
- The country’s PSU NTPC has bagged the prestigious Economic Times (ET) HR World Future Skills Award for 2023 for “Best Advancement in Developing a Comprehensive Enterprise Learning Program” and “Best Use of AI/AR/VR in Learning and Development”.
- Sri Dillip Kumar Patel received the award on behalf of NTPC at a function held at Gurugram, Haryana on 13 July 2023.
The prestigious “Eni Award” has been announced to Professor D Pradeep of IIT Chennai.
- One of the global awards for science and discovery research, the prestigious “Eni Award” has been announced to T Pradeep, Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai.
- It is expected that the President of Italy will give this prestigious award as soon as possible. Notably, he has been selected for the Italian Energy Department’s “Eni Award” for his research work on nanoscale materials and for providing environmentally friendly and clean water using affordable, improved materials to remove toxic pollutants from water.
The Korea Open Badminton Championship series begins in Yeosu, South Korea.
- The world famous “Korea Open Badminton 2023” started on July 18 in Yeosu, South Korea.
- The first round of men’s doubles is scheduled to take place today. India’s star players HS Prannoy, PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth, Malvika Bansod and Akarshi Kashyap will play in the first round matches tomorrow, according to the head of the Indian Sports Organization.
Men’s javelin throw gold for India at the Para Athletics Championships held in Paris.
- Indian athlete Ajeet Singh won the gold medal in the men’s javelin throw final at the 2023 Para Athletics Championships in Paris.
- He saved this victory by clearing 65.41m. It is also notable that he broke the championship record of China’s Chunliang Guo by throwing 61.89 in this competition.
Tamil Nadu NCC has secured second place in “National Shooting Competition”.
- Tamil Nadu NCC bagged the runner-up trophy at the All India Inter-Directorate Shooting Competition (IDSSC) held at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala from July 3 to 16.
- It is notable that Arun Sharma, participant of RR College, and Preethi V, participant of Sri GVG College, Udumalaipet, won 2 gold medals and played an important role for the Tamil Nadu team to qualify for 2nd position.
Former Chief Minister of Kerala Oommen Chandy passed away.
- Former Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy (79) passed away on the morning of July 18 at a private hospital in Bengaluru due to ill health.
- Oommen Chandy has served as the Chief Minister of Kerala for two terms in 2004-06 and 2011-16. It is also notable that he received the United Nations Public Service Award for 2013 for the category “Preventing and Combating Corruption in Public Service” from the region classified as Asia-Pacific.
International Nelson Mandela Day
- International Nelson Mandela Day is observed on 18 July every year to honor the life of Nelson Mandela and his public welfare involvement.
- The UN said that this day is an opportunity for people to reflect on Mandela’s values and principles, to bring his social ideas to the general public, and to make a positive impact on their own communities. “The Legacy Lives on Through You: Climate, Food, and Solidarity” is the theme for this year.
Tamil Nadu Day
- After the independence of India “Madras Presidency” became Madras Province. Then on 1st November 1956 “Madras State” came into existence. Finally on 18th July 1967 Madras State was officially named `Tamil Nadu’. To highlight this, the Tamil Nadu Government observes “Tamil Nadu Day” every year.
- This day was declared on October 9, 2021 in the Legislative Assembly. It is also significant that the Madras Province was changed to “Tamil Nadu” on July 18, 1967 by Peraringar Anna.