Daily Current Affairs 18th May 2023
Indian Army conducts “Flood Relief Exercise – JalRahat” in Assam.
- Indian Army’s Gajraj Division conducted a “Flood Relief Joint Exercise” called ‘Jal Rahat’ on 16th May to conduct joint exercises seamlessly and coordinate preparedness through flood relief strategies at Hagrama Bridge on “Manas” River in Assam.
- The event involved “coordination and rehearsal on how to rescue people from flooded areas” by joint efforts of special teams of the Army, NDRF and SDRF, by the Indian Army statement.
International Museum Exhibition-2023.
- International Museum Day is celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of museums in “preserving our cultural heritage”. In celebration of this year’s 47th International Museum Day (IMD), Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi scheduled to inaugurate the International Museum Exhibition at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi on “May 18”
- This year’s theme is ‘Museums, Sustainability and Wellbeing’.
India to host “Asian Petrochemical Industry Conference 2023”.
- India’s Chemicals and Petrochemicals Manufacturers Association (CPMA) is going to host the 41st edition of “Asian Petrochemical Industry Conference 2023” (APIC 2023) in New Delhi on May 18-19.
- It aims for global leaders from the petrochemical industry to discuss key issues related to growth, trade, investment and sustainability.
- It is notable that the conference is held on a rotational basis by the seven member countries of Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan and India.
“Phase 5 practice of Sagar Parikrama” has started in Raigad, Maharashtra.
- The 5th phase of Sagar Parikrama will start from Raigad district of Maharashtra and reach Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg, Vasco, Mormugao and Canacona in Goa to complete its training.(Includes 6 locations)
- The main objective of the exercise is to popularise information among people about various fisheries related programs and schemes like Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) and Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) by interacting with the fisher folk.
UN Released ‘road map’ to “Reduce plastic pollution by 80% by 2040”.
- On May 16, UN Environment released a report “examining the economic and business models” needed to reduce plastic pollution by 80 percent by 2040.
- In this report, the UN urges the world to follow the three market principles of “re-use, recycling and diversification of reclamation”. UN emphasized.
The world’s first Jumanji-themed park has opened in the UK.
- The £17 million, world’s first Jumanji park is located at Chessington World of Adventures Resort in UK.
- Following the success of the movie Jumanji, the park is set up to entertain the characters.
J&K – Doda District Administration has launched “Online Public Grievance Redressal Monitoring System”.
- The Doda district administration in Jammu and Kashmir launched an “Online Public Grievance Monitoring System” on May 16.
- People can register their complaints easily and transparently through the website http://www.adhbutdoda.org, by the district administration. This Portal aims to provide efficient, transparent and useful content to the people within the given time frame.
“Jammu Of Kalari” is represented in the “Culinary Culture Competition” held at Dogra.
- The Jammu & Kashmir government has announced that the well-known Kalari (food) of Udhampur district of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir will be served as a “special dish” in the G20 summit in Srinagar next week.
- The Government of India and the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir have taken this initiative to globally promote Kalari, which women in Udhampur district have been producing and selling in the market for decades.
A “new species of flying gecko” has been discovered in Mizoram.
- Researchers from Mizoram University and Germany’s Max Planck Institute for Biology have discovered a “new species of flying gecko in Mizoram”.
- The new species has been named “Gecko mizoramensis” after the state of Mizoram. Researchers said the “creature was about 20 cm long and a new arboreal species’.
Union Government has appointed Ravneet Kaur as CCI Chairman.
- Central government appointed “Ravneet Kaur” as the chairman of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) since the departure of Ashok Kumar Gupta in October 2022.
- In with this appointment, CCI’s mandate will be significantly expanded and the work will be enhanced by the CCI Management Statement.
“Elephant ivory dice” discovered in excavations at Virudhunagar in Tamilnadu.
- Excavations at Vembakottai in Virudhunagar, have so far yielded more than 800 artifacts including flint trade mark, flint smoker, stone weight, copper coin, glass beads and flint earring.
- In this case, an “Elaborate conch bangle 3.9 cm long, 1.4 cm wide, 191 mm, weighing 1 gram with “ivory dice and beautiful carvings” has been found.
Discovery of Shiva temple built by Chola army.
- A college student Shivaranjani has engaged and discovered the archeology of the beautiful Shiva temple built by the Chola army at Perukarunai near Mudukulathur in Ramanathapuram district.
- She said that through this excavation it has been revealed that the Shiva temple was built at Perukarunai by the ‘Velaikara Moondrukai’ division of the Cholas.
National Water Awards 2022 – Akashwani Guwahati Ranks in 2nd position.
- Akashwani Guwahati has bagged the second position in the “Best Media category” in the National Water Awards, 2022 list jointly with the Regional News category.
- This is the first time a regional news division has received this “Prestigious award”. It has been informed that it is eligible for this award as it has created various awareness programs through talks on water conservation and management.
HDFC – India’s first Defence fund has been launched.
- HDFC Bank’s Asset Management Company (AMC) has launched a Defence fund to invest in “Defense sector companies” for the first time in India.
- The scheme has been to invest at least 80% of its net assets in companies in the defense and allied sectors by the HDFC Statement.
Former Uttar Pradesh Minister “Hari Shankar Tiwari” passed away
- Hari Shankar Tiwari, 89, a veteran politician and former minister from eastern Uttar Pradesh, passed away on May 16 night at his home in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh due to ill health.
- It is notable that he has won five consecutive terms from the “chillupar Assembly Constituency” of Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh.