Daily Current Affairs 18th January 2023
21st Edition of Naval Exercise – VARUNA 2023
- The 21st Edition of the Bilateral Naval Exercise between India and France- Exercise VARUNA commenced on the Western Seaboard on 16th January 2023 to 20th January 2023.
- The exercise facilitates operational-level interaction between the two navies to foster mutual cooperation for good order at sea, underscoring the shared commitment of both nations to security, safety and freedom of the global maritime commons.
- The bilateral exercise between the two navies was initiated in 1993; it was named as ‘VARUNA’ in 2001 and has become a hallmark of India – France’s strategic bilateral relationship.
‘World’s largest sand hockey stick’ has been recognized by World Records India
- A sand sculpture – created by eminent sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik in Odisha – has been recognized as the ‘world’s largest sand hockey stick’ by World Records India.
- On January 11, Pattnaik had created the 105-foot-long sculpture with 5,000 hockey balls and five tones of sand on the banks of the Mahanadi River in Cuttack where the curtain raiser for men’s Hockey World Cup was held.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has chosen Hyderabad for establishing its Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (C4IR) focused on healthcare and life sciences.
53rd edition of World Economic Forum
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) meet is scheduled to be held in Davos, Switzerland, from January 16 to January 20, 2023.
- The meeting is based on the theme, ‘Cooperation in a Fragmented World’, world leaders will join the World Economic Forum meeting, In order to discuss pressing issues like the Russia-Ukraine war, global inflation, climate change, etc.
Miss Universe Competition 2022
- The 71st Miss Universe – 2022 competition was held in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. In that series R’Bonnie Gabriel of America won the Miss Universe title.
- Diana Silva of Venezuela won the 2nd prize and Ami Pena of the Dominican Republic was 3rd place. And also more than 80 women participated in this competition.
Vallalar Biodiversity Reserves Project has been launched in Tamil Nadu
- Chief Minister M.K.Stalin on behalf of Animal Husbandry, Fisheries and Fishery Welfare Department for the care of helpless, abandoned and injured animals roaming on roads.
- A scheme to provide financial assistance to homeless, abandoned and injured animals roaming on the streets, various animal care NGOs, animal dhow cleaning societies, animal service organizations, an allocation of Rs. 2 crore 14 lakhs has been alloted for this scheme.
Bangalore gets first evening post office on Museum Road
- India Post started an evening post office in Bangalore, which is the second such post office in Karnataka after the first one opened in Dharwad last year.
- The evening post office is situated on Museum Road and is an initiative by the Karnataka Postal Circle with an aim to serve and benefit working professionals, according to the postal department, the post office will be functioning from 1pm to 9pm, six days a week.
Tribal fair to be held in Pune
- In order to empower the tribal community of the Melghat region in Maharashtra’s Amravati district and provide them with a platform to promote their artworks and handicraft items, the Melghat Support Group, along with Amanora Yess Foundation, will organize a tribal fair – ‘Changing Melghat’ – at Amanora Mall West Block in Pune’s Hadapsar from January 21 to 26, 2023.
- Through this exhibition, visitors will be able to see and experience the culture and skills of the Melghat tribal community.Several indigenous forest produce like millets, sorghum and honey will also be exhibited, he added. Products made of bamboo will be a highlight of the exhibition.
PM to inaugurate second phase of Saansad Khel Mahakumbh 2022-23
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate the second phase of Saansad Khel Mahakumbh 2022-23, being organized in Basti District, in Uttar Pradesh on 18th January, 2023 via video conferencing.
- The first phase was organized from 10th to 16th December, 2022 and the second phase of the Khel Mahakumbh was organized from 18th to 28th January, 2023.
- The Khel Mahakumbh organizes diverse competitions in both indoor and outdoor sports like wrestling, Kabaddi, Khokho, basketball, football, hockey, volleyball, handball, chess, carrom, badminton, table tennis etc,Apart from these, competitions in essay writing, painting, rangoli making etc are also organized during the Khel Mahakumbh.
MoU signed between low interests to farmers
- A Memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed between Warehousing Development Regulatory Authority (WDRA) with the State Bank of India to help farmers in getting low-interest-rate loans.
- The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed to promote awareness about the new loan product called ‘Produce Marketing Loan’ to exclusively fund against e-NWRs (electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt).
Principal Chief Commercial Manager (PCCM) of Southern Railway has been appointed
- Raveendran takes over as Chief Commercial Manager, Southern Railway. Earlier, he served as Chief Claims Officer and Chief Freight Manager, Southern Railway.
- Raveendran, an alumnus of Guindy College of Engineering, joined the Indian Railway Transport Service (IRDS) in 1988.
Rare metals have been discovered in Bihar
- Research on rare metals is being carried out at Ajay Nagar in Gaya district of Bihar by the Department of Mines and Geology, Government of Bihar.
- At the end of its preliminary study, it has been found that there are large quantities of rare metals like gold, coal, magnetite, limestone, and silicon
Scientists discovered feathered dinosaur fossils in Patagonia
- Scientists have discovered mega raptor fossils at Mt. Guido in the Chilean Patagonia region near Magalens, Chile, and Torres del Paine Park in the Antarctic region.
- Mega raptors lived in parts of South America about 70 million years ago.
Science and Technology
Indian scientist-led team to find the solitary waves in Mars magnetosphere
- The Navi Mumbai-based Indian Institute of Geomagnetism (IIG), an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), has identified and reported the first evidence of the presence of solitary waves or electric field fluctuations in the Martian magnetosphere.
- The study of the solitary waves is crucial as they directly control particle energisation, plasma loss and transport through wave-particle interactions.
- Solitary waves are the distinct electric field fluctuations (bipolar or monopolar) that follow constant amplitude-phase relations. Their shape and size are less affected during their propagation.
Award to Tamil scholars who have contributed to the development of Tamil language and literature
- Every year on Tiruvalluvar Day, the Tamil Development Department honors the Tamil scholars who contribute to the development of Tamil language and literature and the upliftment of the Tamil community.
|Award Name||Award winners|
|Thiruvalluvar Award for the year 2023||Iranian Na.K. Ponnusamy|
|Perarignar Anna Award for the year 2022||Ubayadullah|
|Perunthalaivar Kamaraj Award||E. V. K. S. Elangovan|
|Mahakavi Bharathiyar Award||Dr. Venkatachalapathy|
|Pavendar Bharathidasan Award||Walaja Vallavan|
|Ki.AA.Pe.Viswanathan Award||M. Mehta,|
|Devaneya Pavanar Award||Dr. Madhivanan|
|Thanthai Periyar Award for 2022||Poet Kali.Poongunran|
|Dr. Ambedkar Award for 2022||S.V. Rajadurai|
‘National Startup Awards 2022’
- On the occasion of the National Startup Day, the union government on Monday (January 16) announced the winners of the ‘National Startup Awards 2022’ (NSA 2022).
- In the event, 41 startups, two incubators, and one accelerator were recognized as winners.
- Karnataka led the charts as 18 startups based in the state emerged winners.
- Maharashtra was a distant second with 9 winners,
- Delhi stood third with 4 winners.
- Gujarat accounted for 3 winning startups
- Uttarakhand came fifth with 2 winners from the state
Yonex- Sunrise India Open Badminton tournament 2023
- Yonex- Sunrise India Open Badminton tournament 2023 all set to start in Delhi on 17th January 2023; the tournament will be held at the KD Jadhav Indoor Hall till the 22nd of this month.
- The tournament, being held in India since 2008, the tournament will see some of the top players from 29 countries, and a total of 97 players will compete in various categories – Men’s singles, Women’s singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles, and Mixed Doubles.
TAMIL Current Affairs