Daily Current Affairs 17th May 2023
A Naval project to enhance rapidly growing cooperation with “India and Cambodia”
- An Indian fleet consisting of INS Delhi and INS Satpura, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, departed Sihanoukville, Cambodia on May 14 to enhance the fast-growing cooperation between India and Cambodia. (3 days port call)
- “Training sessions on Wartime “Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR)” and Fire Fighting Session have been announced.
A training program titled “Entrepreneurial Opportunities for Environmentally Sustainable Waste Management” Launched
- Padma Bhushan Dr. R.P. Singh inaugurated a Five-day training program titled “Opportunities for Entrepreneurs” on Eco-Sustainable Agriculture and Industrial Waste Management.
- The objective of the event is to create awareness and impart knowledge on effective waste management techniques and to increase advice on entrepreneurship opportunities among the youth. The program covers various topics related to waste management especially nutrient rich creation of algae, utilization of sugarcane waste for diversified sectors, utilization of horticulture waste as organic pesticide with the youth.
Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 8th All India Pension Adalat
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated the 8th All India Pension Hall in New Delhi. Pension Adalats are connected through video conferencing at various locations where complex cases are selected and resolved by various ministries or departments across the country.
- 24 thousand 218 cases have been selected in the 7 All India Pension Adalas held so far and 17 thousand 235 cases have been resolved.
Indian Science Forum plans to organize “Annual Science Festival” in Oman
- Indian Science Forum (ISF) has planned to organize a Science Festival at National University of Science and Technology “Al Hail” campus, Muscat on 19th and 20th May to “promoting science in Oman”.
- The event is about that provide a great platform for students to showcase their “passion and talent” for science. Renowned Indian scientist Mylswamy Annadurai, known as India’s “moon man”, will attend the event, by the organizers statement.
A Direct flight between Bhubaneswar and Dubai has been launched to “Promote Tourism”
- India’s leading Airline ‘IndiGo” has launched direct flights between Bhubaneswar and Dubai, which will be a significant milestone in improving connectivity and boosting tourism, the Odisha state administration said.
- The airline aims to open up new routes for business and leisure travelers, promote economic growth and attract foreign investments.
Chief Minister M. K. Stalin inaugurated the buildings constructed by the Technology Center and Fishermen Welfare Department
- Chief Minister M.K.Stalin inaugurated the Tamil Nadu Technology Center at the cost of Rs.54.61 crore in Anna University campus under the Department of Information Technology and Digital Services.
- Also, Chief Minister M. K. Stalin inaugurated the buildings constructed in various districts under the Fisheries and Fishermen’s Welfare Department at a cost of Rs.314 crore.
Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit has been sworn in as the Deputy Chief of the Indian Air Force
- Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit took over as the “Deputy-Chief of the Air Force” on May 15 following the end of Narmeshwar Tiwari’s tenure.
- Air Marshal Ashutosh Dixit, an ace fighter pilot, is also expected to be in “charge of modernization of the Air Force and to handle new procurements in the Indian Air Force”.
Manoj Soni sworn in as Chairman of UPSC
- Dr. Manoj Soni has sworn in as the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission.The Oath was administered by Smt.Smita Nagaraj, senior most Member of the Commission.
- Soni, who joined the commission on June 28, 2017, has been performing the duties of the UPSC chairman under Article 316 (A) of the Constitution of India since April 5, 2022.
Duroflex has announced Virat Kohli as its new brand ambassador
- Duroflex has announced cricketer Virat Kohli as its new corporate ambassador to further promote its mission.
- This collaboration with Virat Kohli aims to spread awareness about the link between quality sleep and health.
A later Pandya period inscription has been found in Tamilnadu
- Madurai archaeologists have found an inscription dated to the 43rd year of Kulasekhara Pandyan’s reign at a place called Adiyapatti near Tiruvadavoor, Madurai in Tamil Nadu.
- Carved in AD 1311, this inscription contains 5 lines stating that the later Pandyan Maravarman Kulasekhara Pandyan ruled in 1268.
India’s Pramoth wins two golds in “Thailand Para Badminton 2023”
- Pramod Bhagat ended his impressive run at the Thailand Para Badminton International with two gold medals. In the men’s singles final, Pramod defeated England’s “Daniel Bethell” to secure the gold.
- Sukanth Kadam and Pramod Bhagat set a record by winning gold in men’s doubles at the “Thailand Para International Badminton 2023”.
Indian women’s golfer Aditi Ashok entered the world rankings
- Aditi Ashok became the first Indian woman golfer to break into the top 50 in the world rankings after finishing in the top 5 at the LPGA Founders Cup.
- Aditi moved up 15 places in the rankings with an average of 1.89 and is currently ranked 49th in the Women’s Golf World Rankings.
World Hypertension Day 2023
- “World Hypertension Day” is observed every year on 17 May to “Raise awareness about high blood pressure in worldwide”.
- Measuring your blood pressure accurately, controlling it, living longer is the theme for 2023.
Sikkim Statehood Day
- Sikkim became the 22nd state of India on 16th May 1975. Sikkim is celebrating its 48th statehood this year.