Daily Current Affairs 16th February 2023
India has organized a millet exhibition at the UN headquarters in New York
- In order to commemorate the ‘International Year of Millets 2023’, India has organized a special exhibition on the millets at the UN headquarters in New York, and the millet exhibition held from 14-17 February 2023.
- This exhibition’s focus on India’s Permanent Mission to the UN was on the different kinds of millets grown in India, their nutritional value and health benefits, including information on calorific content.
MoU Signed between the India and South Africa for cooperation in Disability Sector
- The Union Cabinet has approved signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of Republic of South Africa for cooperation in the Disability Sector.
- The bilateral Memorandum of Understanding will encourage that the Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) at large and ageing population in both countries who especially require modern, scientific, durable, cost effective aids and assistive devices will be benefited from this MoU.
MoU signed between India and Chile for cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sectors
- The Union Government has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of Chile for cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied sectors.
- Through this agreement, agricultural policies for the development of modern agriculture between the two countries, and also organic agriculture to facilitate bilateral trade of organic products, and promotion of exchange of policies aimed at promoting organic production.
Cabinet approves the Vibrant Villages Programme for the Northern border
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Centrally Sponsored Scheme- “Vibrant Villages Programme ” (VVP) for the Financial Years 2022-23 to 2025-26 and also the fund allocated for this programme is Rs. 4800 Crore.
- The Programme will provide funds for development of essential infrastructure and creation of livelihood opportunities along the northern land border of the country.
Air India signs MoU with Airbus of France to acquire 250 aircraft
- The Tata Group-owned Air India has announced its commitment to order 250 Airbus aircraft to boost its domestic and international operations.
- The order aims to both modernize and expand the airline’s fleet with the objective of creating a larger and premium full-service carrier that will cater to the growing travel demand in the region.
- Tata-owned Air India has signed 40 wide-body A350 planes and 210 narrow-body ones.
A new Anti-Cheating Law passed in Uttarakhand
- A new anti- Cheating Law for public examinations for recruitment to posts under the state government, passed by the Uttarakhand government in order to reduce cheating practices and to maintain the quality of academics.
- Under this new Act, An examinee cheats during the exam, he shall be imprisoned for 3 years and fined a minimum of 5 lakh rupees and also he/she shall not write any competitive exam for ten years.
Mission Prerna has been re launched in Pune
- Mission Prerna program has been relaunched by Sahyadri Hospitals to provide proper treatment and financial support to children who need cardiac treatment.
- Under this initiative, Sahyadri Hospital Deccan Gymkhana has organized a heart screening camp for children from 15 February to 15 March 2023.
- This initiative was started in the year 2018 and around 250 children have benefited from this initiative.
First G20 culture track meet held in Khajuraho
- The first G20 culture track meet was held from February 22-25, 2023 in Khajuraho,Madhya Pradesh.
- The theme for the first meeting of the G20 Culture Working Group is protection and restitution of cultural properties.
- In the same way, the second meet to be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha and the third meet held in Hampi, Karnataka.
2nd Global hackathon HARBINGER 2023 announced by RBI
- The Reserve Bank announced its second global hackathon — ‘HARBINGER 2023 – Innovation for Transformation’ with the theme ‘Inclusive Digital Services’.
- This HARBINGER 2023 gives an opportunity to the participants to get mentored by industry experts and exhibit their innovative solutions. Fintechs have been invited to develop solutions that have the potential to make digital financial services accessible to the differently-abled, facilitate efficient compliance.
- Winner of the hackathon will be given a prize of Rs 40 lakh and runner-up Rs 20 lakh.
- The first hackathon was announced in November 2021
NSE has signed a data licensing agreement CME Group for WTI crude oil
- Leading stock exchange NSE has signed a data licensing agreement with derivatives marketplace CME Group for WTI crude oil and natural gas contracts on 15th February 2023.
- The pact will allow the National Stock Exchange (NSE) to list, trade and settle rupee denominated Nymex WTI crude oil and natural gas derivatives contracts for Indian market participants, the bourse said in a statement.
- CME Group is an American global markets company and also world’s leading derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets namely CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.
- West Texas Intermediate (WTI) is a light, sweet crude oil that serves as one of the main global oil benchmarks.
- Nymex- New York Mercantile Exchange
Indian Overseas Bank launches a electronic bank guarantee scheme
- Indian Overseas Bank has launched the facility of issuance of e-BG (Electronic Bank Guarantee) scheme in association with the National e-Governance Services Ltd on 15th February 2023.
- The main features of the scheme e-BG are completely paperless mode with digital stamping and digital signature, and Real time issuance of e-BG would make it available for the beneficiary instantly leading to time saving.
Former West Bengal DGP Virendra appointed as state information commissioner
- Former West Bengal DGP Virendra was appointed as the State Information Commissioner (SIC), said by state Parliamentary Affairs minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.
- Virendra served as the DGP of the state West Bengal from 2018 to 2021.West Bengal was among the first States to set up an Information Commission after the passage of The Right to Information Act, 2005.
First Frozen Lake Marathon 2023
- The First Frozen Lake Marathon is to be held in Ladakh from 20th February at Pangong Tso in Ladakh, India.
- 75 athletes from India and abroad are expected to participate in this marathon. It is expected that this marathon, which is being held with the aim of controlling climate change, will help the tourism development of the region.
ICC Test rankings 2023
- India won the first Test match against Australia in Nagpur to take the top spot in the most recent ICC Test rankings, and also Several Indian players also dominate the ICC’s rankings across the three formats.
- So that India replaced Australia and secure at the top of the ICC rankings, While Australia ranked second place. England ranked third place and New Zealand ranked 4th place in the rankings.
World Anthropology Day 2023
- World Anthropology Day is observed every year on the third Thursday in February, In 2023 the day is observed on 16 February 2023.
- Anthropology is the study of humans, human behavior, and societies in the past and present. Anthropologists take a broad approach to understanding different aspects of human experience.