Daily Current Affairs 15th July 2023
India is planning to host the “ASEAN Conference on Traditional Medicine” in 2023.
- The Union AYUSH Ministry with the support of the ASEAN Secretariat, Ministry of External Affairs and Embassy of India plans to organize a “Conference on Traditional Medicines for ASEAN Countries” on July 20, 2023, the ASEAN organization said.
- The conference aims to strengthen the platform between India and ASEAN countries, share their best practices and create a roadmap for future cooperation in the field of traditional medicine.
A Memorandum of Understanding has been entered into between IFSCA and BITS Pilani to enhance collaboration in FinTech .
- International Financial Services Centers Commission (IFSCA) and PIEDS BITS Pilani have entered into an MoU to create a new framework to support FinTech and TechFin companies and facilitate their collaboration.
- The MoU was executed on July 13 at the BITS Pilani PIEDS Fin Xcelerator Center in Pilani Campus, Rajasthan. The agreement also forms part of the promotion of the IFSCA (FinTech Incentive) Scheme 2022, BITS Pilani Institute of Education and Research said.
India has decided to set up a new embassy of India and a statue of Thiruvalluvar in Marseille, France.
- Prime Minister Modi announced on July 14 that the Center has decided to set up a New Embassy of India in Marseille , France.
- Also, Prime Minister Modi mentioned in the announcement that a Statue of Thiruvalluvar will be erected in this New embassy. At the same time, India and France have agreed to use a common UPI payment mechanism.
The US Senate passed a resolution recognizing Arunachal Pradesh as an integral part of India.
- The US Parliament on July 13 passed a resolution recognizing Arunachal Pradesh as an internal and integral part of India.
- This resolution reaffirms the United States Senate’s recognition of the “McMahon Lines” as the international boundary between China and the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh. The decision comes in contrast to China’s long-standing claim that a large part of Arunachal Pradesh is its territory.
IMF approves Pakistan’s three billion dollar loan
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has approved a major US $3 billion loan program to bail out Pakistan from its severe financial burden.
- According to the agreement, Pakistan will receive about $1.2 billion now and the rest will be disbursed over the next nine months. Notably, last week Pakistan received loans from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) while the official annual inflation rate is now nearly 30 percent.
Kannada channel Power TV has introduced South India’s first AI news anchor.
- Karnataka’s Kannada channel “Power TV” has recently launched India’s 2nd and South India’s first AI news anchor.
- The TV company has named this AI news anchor as “Soundarya”. Recently, OTV, an Odia television channel, introduced the state’s “first AI news anchor Lisa”.
Nita Ambani Cultural Center has launched ‘NMACC Bachpan’.
- Nita Mukesh Ambani Cultural Center (NMACC) has launched ‘NMACC Bachpan’ (for Multifaceted Arts) a special initiative for children aged 2-14 years within the “Jio World Campus” in Maharashtra capital Mumbai.
- This initiative is an engaging and diverse platform for children through theatrical performances, interactive workshops to nurture and preserve art and culture for future generations.
Delhi Airport has introduced the country’s first double elevated taxiway.
- Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia on July 14 inaugurated the country’s first elevated taxiway at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in the Indian capital, New Delhi.
- The 2.1 km long “Eastern Cross Taxiways (ECT)” is said to further enhance time management at Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), the country’s largest airport, which handles more than 1,500 flights daily.
Justice Alexander Thomas assumed charge as Acting Chief Justice of Kerala High Court.
- Justice Alexander Thomas assumed charge as the Acting Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court on the morning of July 14, 2023.
- He has been appointed to the post following the elevation of former Chief Justice of Kerala High Court, Justice S V Bhatti as Supreme Court judge.
Prime Minister Modi has been awarded France’s highest award “Grand Cross of the Legion of Honour”.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was awarded the “Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor” by French President Emmanuel Macron on 13 July 2023. Notably, it is the highest French honor for a civilian or military command.
- With this, Prime Minister Modi has become the First Indian Prime Minister to receive this award. Also, it is seen as significant that the Prime Minister of India has been honored with the Order of the Nile of Egypt in June 2023, the Companion of the Order of Fiji and the Companion of the Order of Logohu by Papua New Guinea in May 2023, and the Ebakl Award of the Republic of Palau.
Science & Technology
Chandrayaan 3 successfully launched.
- Chandrayaan 3, the country’s third lunar mission, was successfully launched from the second launch pad of the Sathish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota on July 14 at 2.35 pm.
- LVM-3 rocket is used for this launch. The Chandrayaan 3 spacecraft is intended to achieve lunar orbit, perform a soft landing on the lunar surface using a lander, and thoroughly explore the lunar surface.
|Chandrayaan 1||Mylswamy Annadurai||2008|
|Chandrayaan 2||Muthayya Vanitha||2019|
|Chandrayaan 3||Veera Muthuvel||2023|
Jyothi Yarraji won India’s first gold medal at the 25th Asian Athletics Championships.
- India’s “Jyothi Yarraji” won the gold medal in the women’s 100m hurdles final at the 25th Asian Athletics Championships in Bangkok, Thailand on July 13.
- The 23-year-old finished the race in just 13.09 seconds, securing India’s first gold medal at this year’s Asian Athletics Championships.
Indian shot-putter wins gold medal in Asian Athletics Championship
- India’s 28-year-old shot-putter Tajinderpal Singh Toor won his second gold medal in the men’s shot-put category at the Asian Athletics Championships on July 14.
- He won first place by throwing a distance of 20.23 meters in this competition. It is also notable that he has won the gold medal in the 2019 Asian Athletics Championship and the silver medal in the 2017 Championship.
Lyudmyla of Ukraine has won the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon.
- Ukraine’s Lyudmyla Kichenok and Croatia’s Mate Pavic have won the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon.
- Seventh-seeded and 30-year-old Kichenok and Pavic clinched the win with a 6-4 6-7(9) 6-3 win over China’s Xu Yifan and Belgium’s Joran Vliegen.
World Youth Skills Day 2023
- The United Nations General Assembly has declared July 15 as “World Youth Skills Day” (WYSD) with the aim of conveying the strategic importance of skills for decent and relevant work and entrepreneurship to the world’s youth.
- The United Nations General Assembly made this declaration in 2014. The theme for this year is “Skilling teachers, trainers and youth for a transformative future”.
Educational Development Day
- The 121st birth anniversary of Tamil Nadu’s famous former Chief Minister K. Kamaraj is being celebrated on 15th July 2023.
- The Tamil Nadu government celebrates the birth anniversary of Kamaraj on July 15 as ‘Kalvi Naal’ or ‘Education Development Day’. It is also significant that this day has been observed as Education Development Day since 2006.