Daily Current Affairs 13th May 2023
India’s first free reading lounge at the airport launched in Varanasi
- India’s first Free Reading Lounge has been set up by National Book Trust of India at Varanasi’s Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport and inaugurated by Adviser to UP Chief Minister Awanish K Awasthi.
- Avanish K said that passengers coming from outside the Varanasi airport can now read the books in it for free.
ICMR and the Ministry of AYUSH signed a MoU for joint development of the integrated medicine sector.
- ICMR and the Ministry of AYUSH signed an MoU to promote integrated medicine and speed up collaboration and cooperation in health research.
- The agreement is said to encourage integration of traditional knowledge with modern research and development of Ayurveda based on scientific evidence.
A competition called ‘Yuva Pratibha – Culinary’ has been launched by MyGov.
- MyGov and Institute of Hotel Management (IHM) jointly launched ‘Yuva Pratibha – Culinary’ competition to preserve India’s rich culinary heritage.
- The program aims to increase production and consumption of “millet” and create awareness about it.
RINL has launched “Open Challenge Program (OCP) 2.0”.
- Atul Bhatt, Chairman and Managing Director of the program organized by RINL, launched the “Open Challenge Program (OCP) 2.0” online.( Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited – It is a Central Public Sector Undertaking under the ownership of Ministry of Steel, Government of India at Visakhapatnam.)
- This program is the second in the series of OCP programs launched by “Kalpadaru-CoE” (Centre of Entrepreneurship) and this “Open Challenge program” is for selecting startups in the technology sector under the category “Industry 4.0”
Bangladesh is scheduled to host the “Indian Ocean Conference (IOC)” this year.
- The 6th Indian Ocean Conference is scheduled to be held in Dhaka, Bangladesh from May 12 to 13 and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the conference.
- It has been announced that the conference will discuss important aspects of enhancing cooperation and strengthening relations between the countries of the Indian Ocean region.
The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu has introduced a natural fertilizer named “Chelippu”.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.K. Stalin named a type of natural fertilizer made from wet waste and introduced it for sale under the name “Chelippu”.
- The Fertilizer is made with leaf, ash nutrients and some natural ingredients to improve soil quality and has been introduced by Chief Minister Stalin on 12 May to “Provide Quality natural Fertilizer to Consumers”.
Prime Minister Modi launched Rs 4,400 crore worth of “development projects” in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the “foundation stone” for various development projects worth Rs 4,400 crore at Gandhinagar in Gujarat on May 12.
- Talking about the changing effects of the challenges caused by rapid urbanization, the Prime Minister said that these can be easily overcome through this scheme.
Andhra Chief Minister inaugurates “Sea Harrier Museum ” in Visakhapatnam.
- Built by the Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Area Development Authority (VMRDA) on RK Beach Road, Andhra Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the museum on the evening of May 11.
- Built at a cost of Rs.10 crore, the new museum installed a Harrier plane flown here from Goa to Visakhapatnam by the Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Area Development Authority (VMRDA) following its crash in 2016.
Hyderabad Airport has emerged as the “World’s Most Punctual Airport”.
- GMR Hyderabad International Airport has been Marked the world’s most “on-time airport” with an on-time performance of 90.43 percent, according to recently released data by aviation analytics and research firm Sirium.
- It is also notable that Hyderabad Airport has been ranked first under both the ‘Global Airports’ and ‘Major Airports’ categories.
The Government of Assam has launched a scheme called “Ayushman Asom – Mukhya Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana”.
- This Ayushman Azom-Mukhya Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana is a health assurance scheme aimed at “promoting accessible and affordable healthcare”.
- As per the initiative of Assam’s Department of Medical Education and Research, it has been mentioned that those mentioned under the National Food Security Act (NFSA) will benefit.
Rajiv Dhar Appointed as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of NIIFL.
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund Limited (NIIFL) has appointed “Rajeev Dhar” as the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of NIIFL on an interim basis from May 11.
- He was appointed following a request by Sujay Bose, who has been managing director and chief executive officer of the company since 2016, to be relieved of his current duties.
India’s Sarabjot Singh and Divya DS have won the gold medal in air pistol mixed team at the ISSF World Cup 2023.
- Indian shooters Sarabjot and Divya jointly won gold in the 10m air pistol category at the ISSF World Cup Rifle and Pistol Shooters 2023 in Baku, Azerbaijan on May 11.
- In the same event, “Rhythm Sangwan” won bronze under individual category in 10m air pistol category.
Jayant Vishnu Narlikar has received the “Govind Swaroop Lifetime Achievement Award” from the First Astronomical Society of India.
- The Astronomical Society of India (ASI) has conferred the Govind Swaroop Lifetime Achievement Award on Vishnu Norlikar for his contribution to the field of astronomy and astrophysics in India.
- The award is named in honor of Govind Swarup (1929-2020), considered the father of Indian radio astronomy,’ said an official release of the IUCAA.
National Odometer Day
- National Odometer Day is celebrated every May 12 to commemorate the “Invention of the odometer” by Thomas Savery.
- It is notable that this odometer was originally invented by Thomas Savery and perfected by Benjamin Franklin.