Daily Current Affairs 12th May 2023
Anganwadi scheme for early childhood care and education called ‘Poshan B, Padai B’ has been launched.
- A program for early childhood care and education called ‘Boshan B, Padai B’ has been launched to transform Anganwadi centers not only into nutrition centers but also into centers of education.
- It has been announced that the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has allocated Rs 600 crore for training Anganwadi workers to implement this scheme. National Corporation for Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) has been joined in to train Anganwadi workers under this scheme.
“Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyanchan) Divya Kala Mela is organized from May 11 to 17 in Guwahati.
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyanjan) has organized a unique event in Assam to showcase the products and craftsmanship of entrepreneurs/artisans with disabilities across the country.
- It is expected that the quality of life of the differently abled will improve through this event. The event is expected to be held in 12 cities starting with Guwahati in 2023 and 2024.
Union Minister Meenakshi Lekhi inaugurated the ‘Buddam Saranam Kachami’ exhibition in New Delhi.
- Union Minister of State for External Affairs and Culture Meenakshi Lekhi inaugurated the exhibition “Buddam Saranam Kachami” at the National Gallery of Modern Art in New Delhi on the 11th.
- The exhibition aims to explore the spiritual and Buddhist elements of art and its journey to express the universal values of wisdom, compassion and their peace.
India Post has launched a website called “Bharat E-Mart Portal”.
- India Post has launched a web-based system called “Bharat i-Mart Portal” to provide logistics to small and medium traders.
- The Bharat Emart portal is said to provide the facility to pick up goods from traders’ premises and ensure delivery at the doorsteps of consignees across the country. According to this, eight crore traders associated with CAIT are expected to benefit from this.
Introduction of ‘Harith Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines 2023.
- Union Ports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched the ‘Harith Sagar’ Green Port Guidelines at a function held in New Delhi on 10 May. Its main objective is to achieve the “zero carbon emission target”.
- These guidelines are said to help in the storage and handling of fuels like green hydrogen, green ammonia, and green methanol or ethanol and improve port efficiencies.
Union government has said that “Santiniketan” has been proposed to be included in UNESCO’s list of heritage sites.
- Union Culture and Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy has said that “Santiniketan” has been recommended by an international advisory committee to be included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- “Sandiniketan” is a town in Birbhum district of West Bengal where Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore spent most of his life.
Punjab becomes the first state to implement ‘right to walk’.
- As deaths of pedestrians and cyclists continue to rise, the state of Punjab has implemented the Right to Walk Act.
- The Act makes it mandatory for all agencies including NHAI to provide footpaths and cycle tracks. According to the government, the right has been given as the number of pedestrians killed in road accidents has increased from 25,858 in 2019 to 29,124 in 2021 and this indicates that the road infrastructure is not adequate to protect pedestrians.
BAI Joint Secretary Umar Rashid has been appointed as the Chairman of Badminton Asian Championship Technical Officials Committee.
- Badminton Association of India Joint Secretary Umar Rashid has been appointed as the Chairman of the Committee of Technical Officials of the “Badminton Asia” tournament for the next two years.
- As the head of the Technical Officials Committee, Rashid will oversee the development and implementation of rules, raising the standard of umpiring in badminton tournaments across the country, the administration said.
Power Finance Corporation, India’s largest non-banking financial institution, has appointed “Parminder Chopra” as its new chairman.
- “Parminder Chopra” takes charge as the first woman Chairman and Managing Director(CMD) of Power Finance Corporation (PFC), India’s largest non-banking financial institution.
- The Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESP) on May 08 recommended the name of “Parminder Chopra” as the next CMD of PFC. In his new role as CMD, Parminder Chopra will be responsible for driving new and innovative initiatives at PFC and steering its growth trajectory, the management announced.
Alia Bhatt has been appointed as the ambassador of Gucci.
- Alia Bhatt has been appointed as Gucci’s first Indian Global Ambassador and will make her debut at Gucci Cruise 2024 in Seoul.
- It is notable that Alia Bhatt dressed in Met Gala was recently themed ‘In Honor of Carl’.
“Vijayanagara period mesolithics” have been found in the excavations conducted in the Elagiri hill area.
- Under the leadership of Professor K. Mohan Gandhi in Tirupathur Department of Tamil, two “Hero stones” were found while conducting field research in Elagiri hill recently.
- Recent research has revealed that these two tombstones are memorials to two soldiers who died during the Battle of Vijayanagara. These rocks date back to about 500 years ago.
American Award for City Private Hospital Doctors in Tamil Nadu.
- Dr. Ashwin Agarwal, Managing Director of Agarwal Eye Hospital has received the ‘Golden Apple’ award under the category of “American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery” (ASRCRS).
- He was awarded the Golden Apple Award for discovering “new therapeutic strategies” to prevent vision loss caused by macular degeneration.
It won the Oscar-nominated Indian Documentary Award under the Peabody Documentary category.
- Writing with Fire, an Oscar-nominated Indian documentary directed by Rindu Thomas and Sushmit Ghosh, has won a Peabody Award in the Documentary category.
- The documentary about the story of how India’s only women-led newspaper “Kabar Lahariya” transforms into a digital magazine. The Peabody Banquet is America’s oldest major electronic media award.
Mexican football legend “Antonio Carbajal” passed away at the age of 93.
- Nicknamed ‘La Dota’ (Five Cups) and a FIFA World Cup hero between 1950 and 1966, Carbajal passed away on May 11.
- His pavilion career spanned 18 years between 1948 and 1966 and he played 364 games in 16 years there.
International Nurses Day
- Florence Nightingale’s birthday is celebrated on May 12 every year as International Nurses Day. International Nurses Day is seen as a global event to recognize and celebrate the work dedication and bravery of nurses around the world.
- International nurse day 2023 theme is Our Nurses Our Future.