Important Events of September – 28
World Rabies Day
- World Rabies Day is an international awareness campaign coordinated by the Global Alliance for Rabies Control, a non-profit organization with headquarters in the United States.
- It is a United Nations Observance and has been endorsed by international human and veterinary health organizations such as the World Health Organization, the Pan American Health Organization, the World Organisation for Animal Health and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- World Rabies Day takes place each year on September 28, the anniversary of the death of Louis Pasteurwho, with the collaboration of his colleagues, developed the first efficacious rabies vaccine.
- World Rabies Day aims to raise awareness about the impact of rabies on humans and animals, provide information and advice on how to prevent the disease in at-risk communities, and support advocacy for increased efforts in rabies control.
- Green consumption, is closely related to the notions of sustainable development or sustainable consumer behaviour.
- It is a form of consumption that is compatible with the safeguard of the environment for the present and for the next generations.
- It is a concept which ascribes to consumers responsibility or co-responsibility for addressing environmental problems through adoption of environmentally friendly behaviors, such as the use of organic products, clean and renewable energy and the research of goods produced by companies with zero, or almost, impact.
- In Western societies, during the ‘60s and the early ‘70s, the necessity to protect the environment and the people health from the effects caused by industrial pollutants and by the continuous growth of economic and population has developed this new idea of consumption.