- 1987 – The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues “fairly”.
- 1993 – A federal judge sentences Los Angeles Police Department officers Stacey Koon and Laurence Powell to 30 months in prison for violating motorist Rodney King’s civil rights.
- 1995 – Operation Storm begins in Croatia.
- 2006 – A massacre is carried out by Sri Lankan government forces, killing 17 employees of the French INGO Action Against Hunger (known internationally as Action Contre la Faim, or ACF).
- 2007 – NASA’s Phoenix spacecraft is launched.
- Wang Hao born August 4, 1989 is a Chinese chess grandmaster. In November 2009, Wang became the fourth Chinese player to break through the 2700 Elo rating mark.
- In 2005, he became China’s 20th Grandmaster at the age of 16.
- As with Gata Kamsky, Wang Hao became a grandmaster without first gaining an International Master title. He achieved his three Grandmaster norms at the,
- 2005 Aeroflot Open A2 Group in Moscow, Russia (February 14–24); score 6.5/9
- 2005 Dubai Open in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (April 4–12); score 7.0/9
- 2005 2nd Dato’ Arthur Tan Malaysian Open in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (August 19–26); score 10/11.
- Craig Jones (16 January 1985 – 4 August 2008) was an English motorcycle racer.
- He grew up in the town of Northwich in Cheshire and attended Charles Darwin Primary School, and later Hartford High School.
- He died in 2008, shortly after a racing accident when he fell and was struck by another motorcycle.