The natural garden Citio Burley Marks in Brazil is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- A natural garden in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is a Citio Burle Marks UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The site is named after architect Roberto Burley Marx.
- Citio Burley Marks in West Rio has more than 3,500 plants native to Rio, which is considered a laboratory for botanical and natural experiments.
- Capital: Brasilia
- President: Jair Bolzano
- Currency: Brazilian Real
The federal government has announced that 27% reservation will be given to OBC in medical courses.
- The Central Government has announced that 27 % reservation will be given to Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and 10 % to Economically Backward Classes (EWSs) in places under All India quota in medical courses.
- The Central Government has stated that this reservation system will be implemented from the current 2021-22 academic year.
- The All India Allocation System was introduced in 1986 on the instructions of the Supreme Court to facilitate students from specific states to join medical colleges in other states.
- 15 %for places for undergraduate courses and 50 % for places for postgraduate courses were allotted for the All India quota.
- Since 2007, 15% reservation has been given to the underprivileged (SC) and 7.5% to the tribals.
- The Central Government has introduced various reforms in medical courses since 2014. Places for MBBS courses have increased by 56% in the last 6 years.
New education policy
- The Central Government has formulated a new National Education Policy to replace the National Education Policy introduced in 1986.
- The new education policy for 2020 was formulated based on the education policy submitted by the Kasturi Rangan Education Committee in 2019 on behalf of the Central Government.
- The aim of this policy is to revolutionize schooling and higher education and make India an international intellectual power.
- New National Education Policy emphasizes mother tongue and state languages.
Vidya Pravesh Project
- Central Government has developed the Artificial Intelligence Program which will enable our youth to look to the future and pave the way for an artificial intelligence based economy.
- Vidya Pravesh, a 3-month sports program for 1st graders, has been transformed into a global program to provide uninterrupted education to children in rural areas.
Academy of Credit
- The Central Government has set up a bank called the Academy of Credit to digitally store the marks obtained by students in various higher education.
- Procedures have been laid down to bring higher education up to international standards.
Specialized tool for translating engineering courses
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that regional languages have been introduced in engineering courses.
- 8 states in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Bengali languages are to start courses in 14 engineering colleges.
- A special tool has been developed to translate engineering courses in 11 Indian languages
- For the first time, Indian Sign Language is eligible for language study.
- Students can read sign language as a language subject. Narendra Modi has said that our disabled brothers will benefit better from this.
Kerala Police has launched the ‘Pink Production’ scheme for the protection of women.
- Kerala Police has launched a new program called ‘Pink Security’ aimed at protecting women in public, private and digital spaces.
- The program will focus on dowry related issues, cyber bullying and humiliation in public places.
- Kerala Chief Minister Binarayi Vijayan launches ‘Pink Security’ project.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Binarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
Indore is the first Indian city to be selected for the International Clean Air Catalyst Project.
- Indore, the cleanest city in India is the only city selected from India for the International Clean Air Catalyst Project.
- In collaboration with the Indore Corporation and the Madhya Pradesh Pollution Control Board, it has been stated that 5 years will be run for clean and hygienic air in Indore.
- Clean Air Catalyst was launched by the USAID for International Development (USAID) and the World Resource Organization (WRI) and a consortium of global organizations led by the Environmental Protection Fund (EDF).
- Madhya Pradesh
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Mangubai Saganbai Patel
The Government of Madhya Pradesh has introduced a scheme called ‘Thevaranya Yojana’ to promote Ayurveda.
- The Government of Madhya Pradesh has launched the ‘Thevaranya Yojana’, an AYUSH based economic development program with the dual objective of improving the health of the people and the livelihood of the tribals.
- This project is an effort to combine AYUSH and tourism to increase employment opportunities in tribal areas.
1000 year old trademark has been discovered.
- A 1000 year old trademark has been found in the village of Kothaimangalam near Palani.
- It is thought that Chithramezhi may have belonged to a business group called Periyanattar. The group dates back to the 11th century AD.
- This symbol confirms that the Palani area was also an important place of trade in ancient times.
India plans to launch satellite to accurately predict natural disasters
- ISRO plans to launch Earth Surveillance Satellite this year to accurately predict natural disasters.
- ISRO’s Geo-Imaging Satellite EOS-3 satellite is capable of imaging the Earth 4-5 times daily.
- It is said that this vehicle will be able to launch more small satellites.
- Leader: Kailasavativu Shiva
- Headquarters: Bangalore
- Year of commencement – 1969
SCIENCE / TECHNOLOGY
Indira – 2021 Naval Joint Exercise
- The 12th edition of the Twenty Year Bilateral Maritime Exercise between the Indian Navy and the Russian Navy took place from july 28 to 29 July 2021 in the Baltic Sea of Russia.
- Indira Naval Joint Exercise launched in 2003
- The exercise was part of INS Thapar’s visit to St. Petersburg, Russia to participate in the 325th Naval Day celebrations of the Russian Navy.
- This exercise will help strengthen cooperation between the two navies and strengthen the long-standing bond of friendship between the two countries.
National Girls Online Chess Tournament
- Vandika Agarwal of Delhi wins National Women’s Online Chess title
- Second Place: Arpita Mukherjee (West Bengal)
- Third Place: Sreeja Seshadri (Tamil Nadu)
- Jessica Fox of Australia wins gold in the women’s event at the Canoe Slalom.
- She made history by winning gold in the women’s category included in the sport for the first time at the Olympics.
- England’s Mallory Franklin (108.68) won silver and Germany’s Andrea Herzog (111.13) won bronze.
- The men’s doubles division has been removed from the canoe slalom competition and replaced by the women’s individual division.
Tokyo Olympics – Indian athletes
- India’s Deepika Kumari advanced to the quarterfinals of today’s individual archery event at the Tokyo Olympics, beating Russia’s Perova.
- Indian boxer Lavlina advanced to the semifinals of the Tokyo Olympics women’s boxing 69 kg weight category, defeating India’s Lovelin and Chinese Taipei’s Nin Xin Chen.
- India secured 2nd medal by advancing Loveline to the semi-finals.
Hockey Men’s Division
- India beat Argentina to advance to quarterfinals of Tokyo Olympics Men’s Hockey League
- Defending champions Argentina beat India 3-1.
- The Indian men’s hockey team won gold at the 1980 Moscow Olympics on the same day (July 29). That was the last gold India won in Olympic hockey.
- India, which has won gold seven times before, has won one silver and two bronze medals at the Olympics since 1980.
International Friendship Day – July 30
- International Friendship Day is celebrated on July 30 to mark the importance of friends and friendship in life.
- This day also suggests a friendly role in promoting peace in many cultures around the world.
- Theme of 2021: “Deep International Friendship”.