- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation on the occasion of 75th Independence Day on August 15, 2021 and announced that 75 ‘Vande Bharat’ trains would connect different parts of the country in 75 weeks of the celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Prime Minister announced a Rs 100 lakh crore Pradhan Mantri Gatishakti initiative which will create employment opportunities for the country’s youth and help in holistic infrastructure growth. Gatishakti will help local manufacturers turn globally competitive and also develop possibilities of new future economic zones.
- The Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the world’s second-largest National Gene Bank at the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources (NBPGR), Pusa, New Delhi.
- The Vice President of India Shri M Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone of Innovation and Development Centre of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bengaluru.
World Senior Citizens day:
- August 21 is celebrated as World Senior Citizen day.
Chhattisgarh government to provide 6000 INR to landless labourers:
- Chhattisgarh government launched the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Bhumihin Majdur Nyay Yojana’. Under this scheme, Rs 6000 will be provided to each of 12 lakh landless labourers. Key Points Scheme was launched with the provision of Rs 200 crores. It will benefit 12 lakh landless families. Chief Minister of Chattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel had announced this scheme.
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel has announced the creation of four new districts and 18 new tehsils in the state. The four new districts are: Mohla Manpur, Sarangarh-Bilaigarh, Shakti, Manendragarh.
Student Entrepreneurship Program 3.0
- Third series of Student Entrepreneurship Program 3.0 (SEP 3.0) was launched on August 16, 2021 for the young innovators of Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL). Theme of SEP 3.0 is ‘Made in 3D – Seed the Future Entrepreneurs Program’.
Gallantry Awards 2021
- President Shri Ram Nath Kovind, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, has approved 144 Gallantry awards for armed forces, police and paramilitary personnel on the occasion of Independence Day 2021.
- Altaf Hussain Bhat (posthumously), Constable, J&K Police has been awarded Kirti Chakra in Gallantry awards 2021.
- Babu Ram (posthumously), ASI, Jammu and Kashmir Police has awarded Ashok Chakra in Gallantry awards 2021.
- HDFC Bank has announced the introduction of ‘Green & Sustainable Deposits’ to safeguard the environment from climate change. These fixed deposits will be directed towards financing green and sustainable housing credit solutions and services.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has cancelled the licence of Karnala Nagari Sahakari Bank of Maharashtra. Consequently, the bank ceases to carry on banking business, with effect from the close of business.
- RBI imposed a monetary penalty of 1- crore on Cooperative Rabobank UA. Its Mumbai Branch is a part of the Netherlands-based Rabobank Group. The penalty has been imposed for contravention of certain provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and directions related to ‘transfer to reserve funds’. A penalty of Rs 5 lakh has also been imposed on Village Financial Services Ltd, Kolkata.
- The 20-year-old Chess player Harshit Raja from Pune, Maharashtra has become the 69th Grandmaster of India in Chess.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami has announced that Indian women’s hockey team player Vandana Katariya will be the brand ambassador of the state’s Department of Women Empowerment and Child Development.