Modern history, the modern period or the modern era, is the linear, global, historio-graphical approach to the time frame after post-classical history.
Modern India History. Vasco da Gama when landed at Calicut, sailing via the Cape of Good Hope in 1498, marked the beginning of the European era in Indian history.
Modern history can be broken down into periods:
- Early Modern Period
- Late Modern Period
- Contemporary History
|Modern India Periods||Century||Events|
|Early Modern Period||Early 16th century||European Renaissance, the Age of Discovery, and the Protestant Reformation.|
|Late Modern Period||Mid-18th century||French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Industrial Revolution, the Great Divergence, and the Russian Revolution.|
|Contemporary History||Early 19th Century|
|Cold War, Petroleum politics, proxy wars, post-war economic boom, globalization|
- The doctrine of subsidiary alliance was introduced by Lord Wellesley, British Governor-General of India from 1798 to 1805.
- The first municipal corporation was set up in India in 1687 at Madras preceding the Bombay and Delhi municipal corporations.
- The Treaty of Bassein (Now called Vasai) was a pact signed on December 31, 1802 between the British East India Company and Baji Rao II, the Maratha peshwa of Pune (Poona) in India after the Battle of Poona.
- Revolution in Turkey is a major set back to Khilafat Movement
- Swami Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Mission in 1896 to carry on humanitarian relief and social work.
- Lord Ripon who is Viceroys was associated with the ‘Ilbert Bill Controversy’
|S.No||Features of Modern India|
|2||Depth of Culture|
|3||Land of Minorities|
|5||Poverty,Spirituality and Modernity mix and Coexist|
According to historians, the modern period in Indian History begin with the death of Aurangzeb in 1707 AD.
|The British India Company||1600 AD – 1858 AD|
|The Independence Struggle||1857 AD – 1858 AD|
|The British Raj||1858 AD – 1947 Ad|
|The Indian National Congress||1885 AD – 1905 AD|
|The Indian National Movement||1905 AD – 1914 AD|
|The Gandhian Era||1917 AD – 1948 AD|
|The Government of India Act||1935 AD|
|The Quit India Movement||1942 AD – 1945 AD|
|The Indian Independence||15th August 1947|