Daily Vocabulary : 15/07/2019
1. CARPING (ADJECTIVE): (अवगुण ढूंढ़नेवाला): find fault
Synonyms: complaining, bellyaching
Antonyms: complimentary, forgiving
They deserve recognition, not carping criticism.
2. CASTIGATE (VERB): (सज़ा देना): to punish
Synonyms: berate, chasten
Antonyms: exonerate, forgive
The teacher castigated him for his incomplete homework.
3. CAVIL (VERB): (दोष ढूंढना): quibble
Synonyms: object, complain
Antonyms: accept, agree
This is not the time to cavil about petty details.
4. COERCE (VERB): (विवश करना): to force a person into doing something
Synonyms: compel, press
Antonyms: help, aid
She was never coerced by her husband into bringing money from her parents.
5. CHARY (ADJECTIVE): (सावधान): careful
Synonyms: cautious, watchful
Antonyms: careless, hasty
She should be chary of the strangers.
6. DETERIORATE (VERB): (बिगड़ जाना): get worse
Synonyms: decline, worsen
Antonyms: improve, get better
The condition of her sister has deteriorated.
7. DEMURE (ADJECTIVE): (संकोची): shy
Synonyms: reserved, modest
Antonyms: forward, brash
I was thinking that Ranu was demure by nature but I was wrong.
8. DERANGED (ADJECTIVE): (विक्षिप्त): mad
Synonyms: crazy, insane
Antonyms: calm, normal
A deranged man killed 14 people in the city.
9. DEBACLE (NOUN): (पतन): downfall
Synonyms: beating, disaster
Antonyms: triumph, victory
The poor batting performance resulted in the debacle of the team.
10. DEVOUT (ADJECTIVE): (धर्मनिष्ठ): religious
Synonyms: pious, devoted
Antonyms: unbelieving, insincere
No doubt, my mother is a devout lady.