Union Commerce Ministry conducts Udyog Manthan to promote Indian Industry
The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) which is a central government department under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry has organized Udyog Manthan.
- Udyog Manthan is a marathon of focused sector-specific webinars for promoting Quality and Productivity in Indian Industry
- The webinar series comprising 45 sessions will cover various major sectors in manufacturing and services
About Union Commerce Ministry:
- Union Minister – Piyush Goyal
- Minister of State – Hardeep Singh Puri
Piyush Goyal launches Freight Business Development Portal for customers
Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has launched a portal to promote and develop the railways’ freight business
- The Indian Railways’ freight business development portal will act as a “one-stop, single-window” solution for all the needs of its freight customers.
- The Portal has been launched with an aim to bring more transparency and provide professional support.
Union Sports Minister launches Assam Rifles Public School in Shillong
Union Minister for Sports has launched Assam Rifles Public School in Shillong with an aim to ntegrate sports with education and in the process, develop sports in the country
- At present, nine Sports Schools have been approved across the country, out of which five are managed by Defence and Paramilitary forces.
- In the North-East Region, Assam Rifles Public School is the first Sports School announced under Khelo India scheme.
US Congress gives nod to ‘Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act’ for Pakistani women
The U.S. Congress has passed the ‘Malala Yousafzai Scholarship Act’. This bill was passed by the United States Senate by a voice vote
- This bill will expand the number of scholarships available to Pakistani women to receive higher education under a merit and needs-based programme.
- In March 2020, this bill was passed by House of Representatives
About United States:
- Capital: Washington, D.C.
- Currency: US dollar
Union Petroleum Minister launches migrant worker cell in Surat
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister has launched migrant worker cell in Surat, Gujarat.
- This cell will give detailed mapping of migrant workers and classify them according to their skill.
- This main aim of launching this is to boost their livelihood and also ensure their dignity.
- Capital: Gandhinagar
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
- Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani
Justice Pankaj Mithal appointed as new Chief Justice of J&K and Ladakh High Court
Justice Pankaj Mithal has been appointed as the new chief justice of the common high court for the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir and Union Territory of Ladakh in Jammu.
- He was appointed to head of the High Court for Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh in view of the retirement of Chief Justice Gita Mittal recently.
Argentine filmmaker Pablo Cesar to head 51st Goa’s IFFI’s International Jury
The 51st edition of International Film Festival of India (IFFI) announced its international jury headed by celebrated Argentine filmmaker Pablo Cesar.
Others Jury Members are:
- Sri Lankan filmmaker Prasanna Vithanage
- Austria’s Abu Bakr Shawky
- Indian director Priyadarshan
- Bangladesh”s Rubaiyat Hossain.
A total of 224 films will be screened under different sections at the 51st edition
Nancy Pelosi re-designated as Speaker of US House of Representatives
Nancy Pelosi re-elected speaker of the United States House of Representatives for the 117th Congress.
- She has secured 216 votes against Republican Kevin McCarthy.
- The US House of Representatives has a strength of 435 voting members and six non-voting members.
Sanjay Kapoor designated as All India Chess Federation president, succeeds PR Venketrama Raja
Sanjay Kapoor was appointed as president of the All India Chess Chess Federation president.
- He defeated incumbent PR Venketrama Raja
- Bharat Singh Chauhan retained the secretary’s post while while Naresh Sharma, belonging to the Chauhan faction, was elected as treasurer.
About All India Chess Federation:
- Founded: 1951.
- Headquarters: Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium; Chennai.
Justice Vineet Kothari designated as Gujarat High Court Judge
Justice Vineet Kothari has appointed as Gujarat High Court Judge.
- He was transferred to Gujarat High Court on recommendation of a five Judge collegium led by the Chief Justice of India.
- He was also served as a judge of the Rajasthan High Court in 2005 and was transferred to Karnataka in 2016.
IDBI Bank initiates video KYC facility to open savings bank accounts
IDBI Bank initiated the video KYC account opening (VAO) facility for savings bank accounts.
- Under this initiative a customer can open a savings account without visiting bank
- This facility ensures that the online journey for opening savings account remains safe, simple, and fast.
- CEO: Rakesh Sharma.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Awards & Recognitions
Bajaj Auto emerges as the world’s most valuable two-wheeler company with market capitalization Rs 1 lakh crore
Bajaj Auto has become the world’s most valuable two-wheeler company. On January 01, 2021 The Company has crossed a market capitalization of more than Rs. 1 lakh crore.
- The company’s share price closed at Rs. 3,479 on the National Stock Exchange, making its market capitalisation Rs. 1,00,670.76 crore
About Bajaj Auto:
- Headquarters: Pune, Maharashtra.
- Managing Director: Rajiv Bajaj.
MoUs & Agreements
J&K inks MoU with NBCC to set up IT Towers in Jammu & Srinagar
The Jammu & Kashmir government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC) to launch two IT Towers.
- This towers will be set up in it’s capitals Srinagar and Jammu- at a cost of Rs 50 crore each.
- It is an another intervention of Jammu & Kashmir Government to bring reforms in the Information Technology sector
Ex Maharashtra Minister Vilas Patil Undalkar Dies
Former Minsiter of Maharashtra Vilas Patil Undalkar passed away. He was 86.
- He is also known as kaka, Undalkar won from Karad South Assembly seat seven times till 2014
- He is also served as minister in the law and justice and cooperative departments
World Day of War Orphans is observed on 6 January
Every year World Day of War Orphans is observed globally on January 6. This day was established by French Organization named SOS Enfants en Detresses.
- This day was proclaimed to address the war orphans as it has become a growing worldwide humanitarian and social crisis.