Daily Important Current Affairs – 3 & 4 January 2021
Union Agriculture Minister inaugurates Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020
Narendra Singh Tomar, the Union Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare Minister inaugurated Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020.
- This is the largest virtual platform for dialogues and strengthening innovations in agriculture.
- The virtual Agri- hackathon 2020 has been organized by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers’ Welfare and Pusa Krishi, ICAR.
IFSCA officially becomes an associate member of IOSCO
The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) has become an Associate Member of the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO).
The IOSCO is the international organization that brings together the world’s securities regulators.
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) was established by the Ministry of Finance in April 2020.
DRDO celebrated its 63rd foundation day 2021
DRDO observed its 63rd Foundation Day of its establishment on January 1.
- As of now, DRDO is working in multiple cutting edge military technology areas, which include aeronautics, armaments, combat vehicles, electronics and other technologies of defence
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation is an agency under the Department of Defence Research and Development in Ministry of Defence
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: New Delhi
India begins two-year tenure as non-permanent member of UN Security Council
India will start two-year tenure as non-permanent member of United Nations Security that is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations (UN),
- India will be UNSC President in August 2021 and will preside over the council again for a month in 2022.
- India, Norway, Kenya, Ireland and Mexico will join non-permanent members Estonia, Niger, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Tunisia and Vietnam and the five permanent members China, France, Russia, UK and the US.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Founded: 24 October 1945
ADB & India signs loan agreement for power generation and horticulture projects of Assam & Himachal Pradesh
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed loan agreement worth dollar 10 million with India to expand horticulture production and farm household income in the hill state of Himachal Pradesh.
- The Bank has also extend dollars 231 million loan to augment electricity generation capacity in the state of Assam.
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Founded: 19 December 1966
RBI started Digital Payments Index on January 1, 2021
The Reserve Bank of India has started a composite Digital Payments Index (DPI) on January 1, 2021
The main aim of this is to know the extent of digitization in payments in the country.
This Index is based on 5 parameters:
- Consumer Centricity
- Payment Infrastructure – Supply-side factors
- Payment Infrastructure – Demand-side factors
- Payment Enablers
- Payment Performance.
Central Government approves extension of the term of ISRO Chairman K Sivan
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has formally approved the one-year extension as Space Secretary and Space Commission Chairman beyond January 14, 2021, that is up to January 14, 2022.
- He joined ISRO in 1982, has been the chairman of the space agency since January 2018. He is also the main architect of 6D trajectory simulation software, SITARA.
- Chairman: K.Sivan.
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Established: 15 August 1969.
Soma Mondal designated as new Chairman of SAIL
Soma Mondal has taken over as Chairman of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
- She was the Director (Commercial) of SAIL prior to this. Before joining SAIL as a Director, Mondal was the Director (Commercial) at fellow Central public sector enterprise, National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO).
- She replaces Anil Kumar Chaudhary, who superannuated on 31 December 2020.
Umesh Sinha named deputy election commissioner of India
Umesh Sinha has been appointed as the deputy election commissioner in the Election Commission of India.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved extension in the term of reemployment of Sinha as deputy election commissioner on contract basis.
- His tenure extended the period of six months beyond December 31, 2020, that is up to June 30, 2021.
About Election Commission:
- Election Commissioner of India: Sunil Arora.
- Formed: 25 January 1950.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
Suneet Sharma appointed new chairman & CEO of Railway Board
The appointments committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Suneet Sharma as the chairman & CEO of the Railway Board.
- Prior to this assignment, Suneet Sharma worked as the general manager of Eastern Railway.
- He took over in his new role with effect from January 01, 2021.
UNDP and PCMC partnered to co-create India’s first Social Impact Bond
The United Nations Development Programme which is the United Nation’s global development network and Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation, Pune has partnered to co-create India’s first Social Impact Bond (SIB).
- This bond is a form of outcome-based contracting and aims at improving social outcomes for a specific group of citizens.
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- Head: Achim Steiner
- Founded: 22 November 1965
Santoor player, Pandit Satish Vyas awarded with Tansen Samman Award
Famous Santoor player, Pandit Satish Vyas conferred with Tansen Samman Award
- The Tansen Music Festival is organised every year by the MP culture department, since the past 94 years in Gwalior.
- Bhopal-based institution Abhinav Kala Parishad was honoured with Raja Mansingh Tomar award. The festival pays tribute to Tansen.
Books & Authors
Italy based author Alfredo Covelli launched new book titled Vahana Masterclass
Alfredo Covelli, an Italy based author today launched his new book Vahana Masterclass for children and Young Audience.
- The book narrates the story of the Ganesha looking for a new vahana to accompany him to all the great adventures around the cosmos
Former Union minister Buta Singh Dies
Former Union minister, ex-MP from Rajasthan and Congress leader Buta Singh passed away. He was 86.
- He served as the Chairperson of the National Commission For Scheduled Cast from 2007 to 2010.
- Buta Singh was a four-time MP from Jalore-Sirohi Lok Sabha constituency.