Daily Important Current Affairs – 20th & 21st December 2020 Current Affairs
India International Science Festival begins from 22 December
Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of Earth Sciences in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) are organized the India International Science Festival (IISF) from 22 December. This year this festival will be through virtual mode.
- The central theme of this year’s festival is “Science for Self-reliant India and Global Welfare”.
- India International Science Festival (IISF) launched in 2015 is a celebration to promote Science and Technology
Indian Railways initiates National Rail Plan in the country
Indian Railways has launched National Rail Plan with an aim to increase modal share of the Railways.
- This plan is being circulated among various Ministries for their views now. Railways aim to finalize the final plan by January 2021.
- As part of a national commitment to reduce Carbon emission, The railways will also increase the modal share of Railways from 27 per cent currently to 45 per cent in freight by 2030
About Indian Railways:
- Founded: 16 April 1853
- Headquarters: New Delhi
Nehru Zoological Park emerges as First Zoo in India to get ISO certification from UK
The Nehru Zoological Park which is situated in Hyderabad, Telangana has received the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Standards Certificate from Accreditation Service for Certifying Bodies (ASCB) United Kingdom.
- So that, the Nehru Zoological Park, Hyderabad has also become the first zoo in the country to get this certificate.
About United Kingdom:
- Capital: London
- Prime minister: Boris Johnson
Karnataka CM launches Bengaluru Mission 2022
The Chief Minister of Karnataka B S Yediyurappa has launched Bengaluru Mission 2022.
- This mission will focus on four large areas: ease of transport, cleaner city, greener city and connecting citizens to the city’s culture through museums and cultural centres.
- Along with this the state also shared a booklet titled “Bengaluru Mission 2022 – Revitalising Bengaluru”.
- Chief Minister: B S Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala
Summits & Conference
India & Bangladesh summit held virtually through Video Conferencing
India & Bangladesh have conducted the virtual summit to strengthen both countries relations.
- The both country leaders held wide-ranging bilateral, regional and global issues and provide guidance for the future development of India-Vietnam Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.
- The summit participated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina Modi
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- Capital: Dhaka
Ranking & Index
Human Freedom Index 2020 released- India Ranked at 111
Human Freedom Index 2020 released by American think tank Cato Institute and Fraser Institute in Canada.
- As per the Index, India has been ranked at the 111th spot. New Zealand topped the Index with 8.87 points.
- New Zealand is followed by Switzerland and Hong Kong which secures Second & Third Spot respectively
The Top 5 Countries are:
- New Zealand
- Hong Kong
ADB & India sign 300 million dollar loan agreement for power distribution network in Uttar Pradesh
The Asian Development Bank and Government of India signed 300 million dollar loan agreement to improve rural power distribution network in Uttar Pradesh State.
- The main objective of this loan agreement is to provide reliable electricity supply to consumers in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
- President: Masatsugu Asakawa
- Founded: 19 December 1966
SBI General Insurance collaborates with Intrcity RailYatri to provide Rs.5 lakh Travel cover
SBI General Insurance has partnered with IntrCity RailYatri to provide Domestic Travel Insurance to customers opting to commute through IntrCity RailYatri.
This partnership will enable the domestic bus travelers to avail of complementary travel cover worth Rs. 5 Lacs along with their travel ticket.
About SBI General Insurance:
- Founded: 2009
- Headquarters: Mumbai
ACC extends tenure of NHAI Chairman Sukhbir Singh Sandhu for another 6 months
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) which decides appointments to several top posts under the Government of India has extended the tenure of NHAI Chairman Sukhbir Singh Sandhu for another 6 months.
- This is his second six months extension for Sandhu. He had received first extension of six months till January 21, 2021 in July 2019.
- Founded: 1988
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairman: Sukhbir Singh Sandhu
Awards & Recognitions
Ratan Tata awarded with Global Visionary of Sustainable Business and Peace Award
Industrialist Ratan Tata won the lobal Visionary of Sustainable Business and Peace Award.
- He got this award during the launch of the Federation of Indo-Israel Chamber of Commerce”s international chapter.
- Ratan Tata has also won India’s highest civilian awards – Padma Vibhushan and Padma Bhushan .
Lucy Bronze and Robert Lewandowski secures Best FIFA Players for the year 2020 Award
The Best FIFA Football Awards 2020 was announced for the year 2020. Poland national team captain Robert Lewandowski won the Best FIFA Men’s Player Award.
- Lucy Bronze who plays English club Manchester City and the England national team has bagged the Best FIFA Women’s Player” award.
- Headquarters: Zurich, Switzerland
- Founded: 21 May 1904
MoUs & Agreements
India and Austria sign MoU on Cooperation in Road Infrastructure sector
India and Austria signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to enhance Technology Cooperation in Road Infrastructure Sector.
- This MoU was signed to create a framework for the countries’ mutual cooperation in the field of Road Transportation, Highway Infrastructure development and Road Safety.
- Capital: Vienna
- Currency: Euro
Yogasana recognized as a competitive Sport in India by Sports Ministry
Union Sports Minsitry has approved Yogasana as a competitive Sport in India. The Objective for this recognition is to spread awareness about Yoga and its advantages to people.
- Yogasana will be introduced as a sport discipline in Khelo India, National Games and International Sports Events.
- After this approval now Yogasana becomes eligible to enter several sports event.
About Union Sports Ministry:
- Union Minister: Kiren Rijiju
Pakistan cricket player Mohammad Amir announces retirement
Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir has announced his retirement from international cricket.Amir represented Pakistan in 36 Tests, 61 ODIs and 50 T20Is.
- Left-arm fast bowler Amir made his international debut in July 2009. HE was recently part of the inaugural edition of the Lanka Premier League.
International Human Solidarity Day is observed on 20 December
The International Human Solidarity Day, observed on December 20 every year. This day was first celebrated on 2005.
- The aim of this day is to is to create awareness in people about the culture of solidarity
- On this day the UN raises many initiatives that help in eradicating poverty and proclaim International Human Solidarity Day