Daily Important Current Affairs – 19th December 2020 Current Affairs
Government of India launches 100 page e-booklet “Putting Farmers First”
The Government of India released a hundred page e-booklet called “Putting Farmers First”. The booklet highlights the success stories of farmers who have benefited from contract farming.
- The booklet also provided information about reforms in the farm sector were undertaken step by step in the last six years keeping in mind the needs of farmers
- This booklet highlights the success stories of farmers who have benefited from contract farming after enactment of these legislations.
Transport Ministry approves ‘GPS-based Toll Collection System’
Union Transport Ministry has approved ‘GPS-based Toll Collection System’. This was announced by the Union Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- This ‘GPS-Based Toll Collection System’ will ensure the seamless movement of vehicles across the toll booths in India. ‘
- Under the new toll collection system, the toll amount will be deducted directly from the bank account of the person.
Webinar was held between India and Maldives with the theme Joint Indo Maldives High Level Defence Engagement
India and Maldives conducted the webinar with the theme of Joint Indo Maldives High Level Defence Engagement.
- It was organized by Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence through Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry. This webinar is the part of Aero India 21 series of webinars.
- This Webinar series aim to develop defence cooperation with foreign countries.
- Capital: Male
- President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih
India – Indonesia Bilateral Meeting was held on Drug Control Cooperation
Fourth India – Indonesia Bilateral Meeting Drug Control Cooperation was held virtually through online mode.
- The Indian delegation was led by Shri Rakesh Asthana, Director General, Narcotics Control Bureau
- The Indonesian delegation was led by Mr. PujiSarwono, Deputy of Legal Affairs and Cooperation, National Narcotic Board of Indonesia.
- Capital: Jakarta
- President: Joko Widodo
IMS Organized TROPMET-2020 virtually through video conferencing
The Indian Meteorological Society (IMS) and the North Eastern Space Application Center organized a 4-day virtual seminar on Tropical Meteorology, called TROPMET-2020.
- The theme of the event is “Weather and Climate Services over Mountainous Regions”.
- North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC) was established as a joint initiative of the Department of Space (DOS, GOI) and the North Eastern Council (NEC) and came into being in 2000.
Odisha State Government launches Pareshram Portal
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched a web portal named ‘Pareshram’ along with 22 other online services of Labour and Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) department.
- This main objective of this portal is to help in ‘ease of doing business’ and contribute significantly to industrial development of the State.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
MoUs & Agreements
India provides USD 1 million to Anti-Doping Agency WADA
India has agreed to provide an amount of USD 1 million to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- This fund will be used by WADA to develop innovative anti-doping testing and detection methods, and further strengthen WADA’s independent Investigations and Intelligence Department.
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
- Founder: Dick Pound
Canara Bank launches “FX 4 U” for forex remittance through Internet Banking
Canara Bank has launched “FX 4 U” through internet banking helping users to manage and handle their forex transactions seamlessly.
- With the introduction of this facility, all eligible individual customers can undertake remittance facility as per FEMA regulations.
About Canara Bank:
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- CEO: Lingam Venkat Prabhakar
Indian & Indonesian Navy held 35th Edition of CORPAT
India-Indonesia navies held Coordinated Patrol (Ind-Indo Corpat) from 17 to 18 December 2020.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Kulish was participated in the CORPAT
- The 35th IND – INDO CORPAT will contribute towards the Indian Navy’s efforts to consolidate inter-operability and forge strong bonds of friendship across the Indo Pacific.
About Indian Navy:
- Chief of the Naval Staff : Admiral Karambir Singh
- Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff: Vice Admiral M. S. Pawar
ISRO to Launch Earth Observation Satellite ‘ANAND’
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch Earth Observation Satellite named ‘ANAND’.
- Apart from this satellite, two more satellites named ‘SATISH SAT’ and ‘UNIT-SAT’ will also be launched
- This satellite is built by start-up called Pixel India. This is the first satellite which is built by private company
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
NASA appoints Raja Chari as commander of SpaceX Crew-3 mission
NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA) have selected Indian-American Raja Chari to be the Commander of the SpaceX Crew-3 mission to the International Space Station.
- Earlier this year in January, Chari became one of the 11 astronauts to join NASA’s ranks. This SpaceX Crew-3 mission is expected to be launched next year.
- Currently Raja Chari, is a colonel in the US Air Force.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States
- Founded: 1 October 1958, United States
India’s Anshu Malik grabs silver at Wrestling World Cup
Indian Wrestler Anshu Malik won silver medal at Wrestling World Cup, She won silver in the 57kg category. The Tournament was held at Belgrade, Serbia.
- Earlier she had won a bronze at the Asian Championship 2020 in New Delhi and silver medal at Mattio Pellicone event in Rome.
BJP Leader Satyadev Singh passes away
Former Gonda MP and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Leader Satya Dev Singh has passed away.
- He had held several important posts including the national president of the Yuva Morcha as well as the state vice-president.
- He also served as the chairman of BJP’s disciplinary committee.
Popular Musician Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan Passes away
Music maestro Ustad Iqbal Ahmed Khan passed away.He was 66
- Iqbal Ahmed Khan won several awards including the Priyadarshini Award (2001), and the Rajiv Rattan Sadbhavna Samman
- He also founded Dilli Durbar, “aimed solely towards the renaissance of Indian Classical Music”, which held its first classical event in 2019.