Daily Current Affairs 23rd April 2023
Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched UDAN 5.0
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN), the 5th round of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) to improve connectivity in remote and regional areas of the country.
- The new version of the program will increase the speed of connecting new routes and aims to implement 1000 routes, 50 additional airports, heliports and water aerodromes in future.
AIL-BSL signs MoU with Telecommunication Consultants India Limited (TCIL)
- SAIL-Bokaro has entered into an MoU with Telecommunication Consultants India Limited (TCIL) to explore the feasibility of using 5G/ IT/ Telecom and other wireless communication technologies at the Steel Plant.
- SAIL- BSL Managing Director B.K. Tiwari and TCIL Managing Director Ms. Alka Chelot Asthana signed the MoU.
The Ministry of Health has organized the Asia Pacific Leaders Conference on Malaria Eradication
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has organized the Asia Pacific Leaders Conference on Malaria Eradication on April 24 in New Delhi. The convention aims to strengthen malaria eradication efforts by 2030.
- India has made significant progress in malaria eradication in recent years and has been praised globally. From 2015 to 2022, malaria cases will decrease by more than 85 percent and deaths by more than 83 percent.
Japan approves country’s first abortion pill
- A Japanese health ministry panel has approved the country’s first abortion pill developed by Britain’s Linepharma International Ltd – the Mefeco pill pack.
- It is an alternative to a surgical procedure in women’s reproductive rights in Japan. The pill is awaiting final approval from the health minister, according to The Japan Times.
India has moved up 6 places in the World Bank’s Logistics Performance Index
- India, which was ranked 44th out of 139 countries in 2018 in the World Bank’s Logistics Performance Index, is now ranked 38th, as soft and hard infrastructure and technology investments on both coasts have helped restore its port performance to domestic economic poles.
- India ranked 22nd in international exports in 2023 and moved up four places to 48th in logistics efficiency and equity.
PM Modi inaugurates Kochi Water Metro
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Kochi Water Metro on April 25, making it India’s first ferry service to a metro city.
- The project provides modern passenger ferries and boat jetties as an integrated public transport system for Kochi, six panchayats and three municipalities.
India’s foreign exchange reserves hit nine-month high
- According to Reserve Bank of India (RBI) data, India’s foreign exchange reserves increased by $1.657 billion to $586.412 billion.
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves rose for the second straight week to a 9-month low. Last week, total reserves rose to $584.755 billion from $6.306 billion.
Science and Technology
PSLV was launched by C-55 rocket
- The PSLV was launched by a C-55 rocket at 2.19 pm on April 21 from the first launch pad of Satish Dhawan Research Station in Sriharikota along with two satellites in Singapore.
- ISRO has entered into an MoU with Newspace India Ltd. to launch Singapore’s Telios-2 Earth observation satellite. It will be used for geo-observation work in Singapore.
PM Kathishakti NMP receives Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi presented the Prime Minister’s Award 2022 to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Domestic Trade (DPIIT) in the ‘Central-Innovation’ category for successful implementation of the prestigious ‘PM Kadishakti National Master Plan’ at the 16th Civil Services Day.
- The program has been immensely beneficial in identifying the needs of citizens, addressing future education-related issues and improving communication between departments, districts and constituencies.
National Panchayat Raj Day
- National Panchayat Raj Day is celebrated on 24th April every year in India. National Panchayat Raj Day is celebrated to mark the coming into force of the 73rd Constitutional Amendment Act enacted in 1992.
- Theme of National Panchayat Raj Day 2023: “Inclusive Development” – “Samaaveshi Vikas”
World Book Day
- World Book Day or World Book and Copyright Day is celebrated annually on 23 April by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization to promote reading, publishing and the protection of intellectual property.
- The theme of World Book Day 2023 is: Celebrating favorite characters and books